Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Simon Kenton's Cam Racke kicked off of and then reinstated to the Simon Frosh Team

Featured Replies

If this is true the obvious answer is the coach has a problem with him POTENTIALLY going to a different high school.

 

From what I understand it's been made pretty clear he's going to CCH but like any young kid making a big decision isn't 100% sure yet.

 

How this played out from what I was able to gather:

 

Steiner told Cameron to just play 8th grade basketball because if he's leaving he doesn't want him in the program.

I'm not sure what happened, but Cameron cannot play 8th grade ball this year.

So instead of forcing Cameron to not play basketball at all this year Steiner put him back on the freshman team.

 

I don't see a problem with either side doing what they feel best is for them.

  • Replies 111
  • Views 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I understand it's been made pretty clear he's going to CCH but like any young kid making a big decision isn't 100% sure yet.

 

How this played out from what I was able to gather:

 

Steiner told Cameron to just play 8th grade basketball because if he's leaving he doesn't want him in the program.

I'm not sure what happened, but Cameron cannot play 8th grade ball this year.

So instead of forcing Cameron to not play basketball at all this year Steiner put him back on the freshman team.

 

I don't see a problem with either side doing what they feel best is for them.

 

Coach gets to do what wants. The kid isn't in high school so there's no obligation.

 

I doubt, though , this caught the coach by surprise. Word has been out for a while about the kid's interests.

If this is true the obvious answer is the coach has a problem with him POTENTIALLY going to a different high school.

 

If the problem is middle school athletes on a high school team then that is a school decision and can be easily addressed by the school administration. Personally I have zero issue with this and our schools decision to allow middle school athletes on high school teams has benefited my children.

 

If the problem is the kid might end up at another school - then the school is suddently into the predicting the future business. Good luck with that.

 

My opinon is that since this is a 2012-2013 team, I would suggest the school put together their teams based who is currently in their district (or if they want to limit it to their school and exclude middle schoolers then that is certainly their option) and not try to project the future.

I doubt, though , this caught the coach by surprise. Word has been out for a while about the kid's interests.

 

Yup, I don't think anyone is shocked about it.

From what I understand it's been made pretty clear he's going to CCH but like any young kid making a big decision isn't 100% sure yet.

 

How this played out from what I was able to gather:

 

Steiner told Cameron to just play 8th grade basketball because if he's leaving he doesn't want him in the program.

I'm not sure what happened, but Cameron cannot play 8th grade ball this year.

So instead of forcing Cameron to not play basketball at all this year Steiner put him back on the freshman team.

 

I don't see a problem with either side doing what they feel best is for them.

 

 

In this situation with these facts I don't have a problem with what the coach is doing at all.

Who really cares? As someone said in an earlier post, the kid and his family will likely rethink this decision repeatedly. Why all the fuss about a 13 or 14 year kid who attended an open house? Don't know the kid, but he must be a pretty decent player to have played freshmen ball as a 7th grader. But if history has taught us anything, there have been a ton of kids who were studs at this age and then get caught physically by others. Historically, NKY is not exactly a hotbed of D-1 talent in any sport and too often we get caught up in projecting how good these kids are. If he plays for his middle school, freshman, jv, or just AAU - who cares but that kid, his family, and the coaches. Just let him be a kid while he can without all the hype and expectations - his commitment, talent, and work ethic will lead him where he's meant to be.

Welcome, Jim Ignatowski! Nice first post.

I'm curious to know why he is not eligible to play NKMSAA for Twenhoefel? By Laws say that once you play in a HS game you cannot play in NKMSAA games. But it did not clarify if that was a per season rule or if last season frosh games would make him ineligible for 8th this season.

If the latter is the case, then SK is somewhat obligated to allow him to play with them in some capacity this season. IMO

Apparently the same thing they were thinking last year when the kid apparently played freshman ball at SK.

 

And not to be mean but in basketball if you get cut in high school, there's a reason you got cut and most kids have figured out by the 9th grade what kind of chance they have to play in high school.

 

If that reason is so that boys from the 7th or 8th grade can play up, I find it a hard pill to swallow. Then if those boys decide not to even attend that high school it makes it that much worse.

If that reason is so that boys from the 7th or 8th grade can play up, I find it a hard pill to swallow. Then if those boys decide not to even attend that high school it makes it that much worse.

 

What's the difference between a 7th or 8th grader taking a spot on the freshman team and a freshman taking a junior or senior's spot on varsity? If you get cut as a freshman or sophomore that is the path you are heading on.

What's the difference between a 7th or 8th grader taking a spot on the freshman team and a freshman taking a junior or senior's spot on varsity? If you get cut as a freshman or sophomore that is the path you are heading on.

 

It is not only about taking the spot, it is about taking quality minutes away from another player.

 

Do you really think -- there is no difference in a middle schooler playing up to a high school team at which he may well never attend - versus- a freshmen playing up at the school he is already attending ?

 

I think they are completely different issues.

Its not rumor. It is fact. Mr. Radke's parents evidently did not learn anything from how the Bright's were dealt with last year. It was very foolish to walk into a CCH public open house then show up for freshman practice the next day?

 

If it is ok for coach Marksberry to take his daughter to NDA open house then why is it not ok with the Racke's going to CCH open house. I don't think the family has ever said that Cameron was not going to SK. I would be willing to bet that they just wanted to see what the school was like since Cameron plays basketball with Cole VonHandorf. If I were a betting man I would say Cameron will wear SK blue for the next 4 years.

The discussion in the football forum concerning VonHandorf is the same. A current tuition paying VMA player will have their varsity time limited and a tuition paying upperclassmen will be cut so a non-tuition paying[8th grader can play this year and then transfer to CCH for football next year.

 

That is incorrect - Villa sports do not cut.

If it is ok for coach Marksberry to take his daughter to NDA open house then why is it not ok with the Racke's going to CCH open house. I don't think the family has ever said that Cameron was not going to SK. I would be willing to bet that they just wanted to see what the school was like since Cameron plays basketball with Cole VonHandorf. If I were a betting man I would say Cameron will wear SK blue for the next 4 years.

 

In light of all we have seen on BGP and on the field at Simon Kenton this year, the bold above is absolutely hilarious.

 

If it is ok for coach Marksberry to take his daughter to NDA open house then why is it not ok with the Racke's going to CCH open house. I don't think the family has ever said that Cameron was not going to SK. I would be willing to bet that they just wanted to see what the school was like since Cameron plays basketball with Cole VonHandorf. If I were a betting man I would say Cameron will wear SK blue for the next 4 years.

 

I'm not sure how's Marksberrys daughter has anything to do with this since this situation isn't his decision.

 

Cameron has also shadowed a CCH student.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.