Newport Central Catholic 1 Highlands 0 (Soccer)

In the oddest District tournament of them all (only two schools w/ soccer teams), NewCath prevails with late goal by Matt Tolle. One of the most enjoyable games I've seen all year. Good rivalry, clean play (no cards) and both teams--who are having mediocre years--played very well. Highlands controlled the ball most of the game, but NewCath capitalized on one of only a few scoring chances the entire game. Kudos to both keepers--Grosser was solid and Breslin made some spectacular stops. Good luck to both teams in regional tourney.

In the oddest District tournament of them all (only two schools w/ soccer teams), NewCath prevails with late goal by Matt Tolle. One of the most enjoyable games I've seen all year. Good rivalry, clean play (no cards) and both teams--who are having mediocre years--played very well. Highlands controlled the ball most of the game, but NewCath capitalized on one of only a few scoring chances the entire game. Kudos to both keepers--Grosser was solid and Breslin made some spectacular stops. Good luck to both teams in regional tourney.

and as a bonus you got to watch the Lady Breds play one of their best games all year while beating the Lady Birds 2-0........

and as a bonus you got to watch the Lady Breds play one of their best games all year while beating the Lady Birds 2-0........

Tell me a little more about this game. I heard there was a pretty bogus foul call in the box that gave NCC a cheap penalty kick that made the lead 2-0. What were the number of shots on goal by each team in this game?

Tell me a little more about this game. I heard there was a pretty bogus foul call in the box that gave NCC a cheap penalty kick that made the lead 2-0. What were the number of shots on goal by each team in this game?

according to the paper Highlands had only 2 shots on goal and Ncc had 6. I know the Highlands players looked stunned as the entire first half they chuck and threw bodies within the box and there were no calls and then what appeared to be less of a body check was called. Multiple two handed shoves in the back off the play by Highlands defense. I think I got my 5 dollars worth. Highlands seemed one dimensional, kick up front to Rivers for a run on goal with a little give and go to #11 when possible. Ncc played like when they played us to penalty kicks back last month. Spread out an worked together. Both games exciting. Enjoyed watching my daughters friends on both teams and it was hard and fast play from the beginning to the end.

according to the paper Highlands had only 2 shots on goal and Ncc had 6. I know the Highlands players looked stunned as the entire first half they chuck and threw bodies within the box and there were no calls and then what appeared to be less of a body check was called. Multiple two handed shoves in the back off the play by Highlands defense. I think I got my 5 dollars worth. Highlands seemed one dimensional, kick up front to Rivers for a run on goal with a little give and go to #11 when possible. Ncc played like when they played us to penalty kicks back last month. Spread out an worked together. Both games exciting. Enjoyed watching my daughters friends on both teams and it was hard and fast play from the beginning to the end.

Chuck and threw bodies? Really? Any cards or fouls? Soccer is a pretty rough game and there is a lot of contact that takes place. I was told that the NCC girl climbed the back of the defender and pulled her hair. The referee then said he needed to call something to get the game under control and thus you give a PK? Pretty weak on the officials part I would say. Make teams earn the goals in the postseason rather than handing them one in a tight game that could still have gone either way. Highlands is a year maybe two away from being right back in the thick of things for girls soccer.

Chuck and threw bodies? Really? Any cards or fouls? Soccer is a pretty rough game and there is a lot of contact that takes place. I was told that the NCC girl climbed the back of the defender and pulled her hair. The referee then said he needed to call something to get the game under control and thus you give a PK? Pretty weak on the officials part I would say. Make teams earn the goals in the postseason rather than handing them one in a tight game that could still have gone either way. Highlands is a year maybe two away from being right back in the thick of things for girls soccer.

Highlands appears to have the talent now they need to coaching staff to get it together on the same game plan and they will be a force down the road. Love watching the close games.