July 17, 201214 yr One more time ... Pierre is 34, so he's in the downside of his career, and his OBP in four of his last five seasons as an everyday player is .331 or below. That is much more relevant than his career stats. If that is the case, why has no team used Pierre as a full-time centerfielder since 2007? A guy with his offensive issues should be playing the toughest position available. I'll take a .331 OBP, downside or not all that matters is he gets on base for the next few months at a higher clip than what the Reds have got thus far and I think it's pretty much automatic that he would provide that...Upside, Downside, Old, Young, none of that matters at this point the Reds don't need him for years down the road they need him for a few months... Over the next few months how many Runs do you think Pierre could actually cost the Reds defensively over what Stubbs provides in CF? 1 or 2, maybe 4 or 5, probably not but even if he did who cares? I think he would create more Runs for the Reds offense than he would cost them in total...
July 17, 201214 yr I'll take a .331 OBPWith Pierre's defensive shortcomings, especially in centerfield, where is the benefit?
July 17, 201214 yr West, I have a feeling you were probably a huge Pierre fan in 2006 when he suited up for the Cubbies...
July 17, 201214 yr West, I have a feeling you were probably a huge Pierre fan in 2006 when he suited up for the Cubbies...Hardly ... the Cubs gave up some useful pitching for him. One year in Wrigley was enough to show he simply wasn't a very good player. I had the same argument with Cubs' fans that year that felt the team needed to re-sign him as a free agent. The Cubs chose to let him go, one of the few wise decisions Jim Hendry made in the last few years of his tenure.
July 17, 201214 yr One last point on Stubbs and Pierre: Stubbs' OBP the last two seasons (2010 and 2011) was .325 ... Pierre's was .335. You can make a pretty good argument that is closer to their true ability, but Pierre has been a little better (or a little luckier) in the first half while Stubbs has been a little worse or a little unluckier. There is little reason to believe that Pierre's OBP will continue to be 70 points higher than Stubbs' for the remainder of the season.
July 17, 201214 yr One last point on Stubbs and Pierre: Stubbs' OBP the last two seasons (2010 and 2011) was .325 ... Pierre's was .335. You can make a pretty good argument that is closer to their true ability, but Pierre has been a little better (or a little luckier) in the first half while Stubbs has been a little worse or a little unluckier. There is little reason to believe that Pierre's OBP will continue to be 70 points higher than Stubbs' for the remainder of the season. Tell me how swinging and missing is unlucky. Stubbs struck out 205 times last year and hit .243. He is hitting .217 and is on pace for over 160 strike outs this year. It would be higher if he hadn't missed the games he was on the DL. Edited July 17, 201214 yr by EZ Living
July 17, 201214 yr One last point on Stubbs and Pierre: Stubbs' OBP the last two seasons (2010 and 2011) was .325 ... Pierre's was .335. You can make a pretty good argument that is closer to their true ability, but Pierre has been a little better (or a little luckier) in the first half while Stubbs has been a little worse or a little unluckier. There is little reason to believe that Pierre's OBP will continue to be 70 points higher than Stubbs' for the remainder of the season. Cmon, Pierre hasnt been lucky where Stubbs hasnt...Pierre has as many walks as strikeouts I think its even with 13 a piece, he actually has an idea of the strikezone and makes more contact than anyone in baseball...With Pierre and Stubbs speed all you need to do is get wood on the ball and you have a legit chance to get on, Pierre can do it Stubbs cant thats hardly luck...Pierre has done it for over 10 Seasons... Its not hard to imagine Pierre maintaining a 70 point OBP advantage over Stubbs the rest of the way...Its actually not hard to imagine that by the end if the year it wont be closer to a 100 point OBP advantage for Pierre...
July 17, 201214 yr Looks like Todd Redmond is getting the call. He should be able to help ease the pressure of the Votto loss. :lol: :irked: JetSportsManagement @JetSportsMgmt Trade to call up in 2 days!! Congrats to Todd Redmond on both. The newest Cincinnati Reds big leaguer.
July 17, 201214 yr Author Looks like Todd Redmond is getting the call. He should be able to help ease the pressure of the Votto loss. :lol: :irked: JetSportsManagement @JetSportsMgmt Trade to call up in 2 days!! Congrats to Todd Redmond on both. The newest Cincinnati Reds big leaguer. I'm sure that move was made in case Cueto's blister gives him problems tonight. Don't second guess Walt or Crash will complain. :lol:
July 17, 201214 yr I'm sure that move was made in case Cueto's blister gives him problems tonight. Don't second guess Walt or Crash will complain. :lol: If your second guessing is warranted, I don't say a word. Who the hell is Todd Redmond?
July 17, 201214 yr Looks like Todd Redmond is getting the call. He should be able to help ease the pressure of the Votto loss. :lol: :irked: JetSportsManagement @JetSportsMgmt Trade to call up in 2 days!! Congrats to Todd Redmond on both. The newest Cincinnati Reds big leaguer. Just Dusty's security blanket. I'm sure Dusty is scared to death that Cueto can't give him innings tonight and the bullpen will be taxed even more after last night's Arroyo debacle. If the pen gets the rest he will be out of here in the next couple of days. The only problem with that is now the already weak bench will be a man down. Jocketty has to be burning up the lines discussing trade possibilities. This team has to get some offensive help as we have all seen what can happen real quick with a couple of bad outings by the starting staff. I just hope he doesn't deplete the already thin minor league system to do it. Homer Bailey might be on the move with Simon taking over his spot in the rotation. That might be the only bullet he has in his gun to get a big bat or a leadoff guy.
July 17, 201214 yr Stubbs has one skill. He can run. He occasionally drives one out of the crackerbox, but for the most part, he runs. Reds have a guy who runs in AA, and I'm not sure he'd be much worse. Am I the only one who wouldn't mind if Stubbs was dealt for an upgrade somewhere? Anywhere?
July 17, 201214 yr Author If your second guessing is warranted, I don't say a word. Who the hell is Todd Redmond? It's who the Reds got from the Braves for Paul Janish. Check out that thread.
July 17, 201214 yr Stubbs has one skill. He can run. He occasionally drives one out of the crackerbox, but for the most part, he runs. Reds have a guy who runs in AA, and I'm not sure he'd be much worse. Am I the only one who wouldn't mind if Stubbs was dealt for an upgrade somewhere? Anywhere? I would prefer it.
July 17, 201214 yr Stubbs has one skill. He can run. He occasionally drives one out of the crackerbox, but for the most part, he runs. Reds have a guy who runs in AA, and I'm not sure he'd be much worse. Am I the only one who wouldn't mind if Stubbs was dealt for an upgrade somewhere? Anywhere? The only problem is Stubbs' trade value...
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.