2012 Reds Draft Recap

I really only payed attention to the First 25 Rounds after that I didn't follow, however only a couple guys caught my eye...The experts rated the Reds draft as neither spectacular or terrible...Many experts as well as fans were thrown off by the 1st Round pick which was considered a reach to everyone but the Reds who had an inside track on him...The pick aloud them to stay at or below slot for that pick and gave them cushion to draft and hopefully be able to sign more talent later on...

In total for all Rounds the Reds drafted 12 HS Guys and 30 College Guys

28 Pitchers

14 Position Players

1st Round-RHP Nick Travieso (FL HS)

1st Round Comp -OF Jesse Winker (HS CA)

1st Round Comp-OF Jeff Gelalich (UCLA)

2nd Round-SS Tanner Rahier (HS CA)

3rd Round-RHP Dan Langfield (Memphis)

4th Round-RHP Jon Moscot (Pepperdine)

5th Round-LHP Mason Felt (HS GA)

6th Round-C Joseph Hudson (Notre Dame)

7th Round-OF Beau Amaral (UCLA)

8th Round-3B Seth Mejias-Brean (Arizona)

9th Round-OF Daniel Pigott (Florida)

10th Round-RHP Jeremy Kivel (HS TX)

11th Round-LHP Nolan Becker (Yale)

12th Round-SS Brent Peterson (Bakersfield College)

13th Round-LHP Matt Boyd (Oregon St.)

14th Round-RHP Luke Moran (Grayson County College)

15th Round-RHP Ben Klimesh (Trinity U)

16th Round-LHP Nick Routt (Miss St)

17th Round-C Jesse Ortiz (HS PR)

18th Round-RHP Jackson Stephens (HS AL)

19th Round-RHP Austin Muehring (Palomar College)

20th Round-RHP Brock Dykxhoorn (HS CA)

21st Round-LHP Jordan Remer (University of San Francisco)

22nd Round-RHP/SS Avain Rachal (HS TX)

23rd Round-CF Daniel Sweet (HS MS)

24th Round-RHP Mike Saunders (Saginaw St.)

25th Round-LHP Sean Lucas (University of Albany)

33rd Round-RHP Justin Topa (Long Island)

36th Round-2B Jarvis Flowers (HS TX)

The following picks are ones that I really liked...

22nd Round-RHP/SS Avain Rachal (HS TX)

23rd Round-CF Daniel Sweet (HS MS)

25th Round-LHP Sean Lucas (University of Albany)

33rd Round-RHP Justin Topa (Long Island)

36th Round-2B Jarvis Flowers (HS TX)

Height: 6'2"

Weight: 215

The Florida high schooler was on the move up Draft boards as the spring progressed, thanks to some serious arm strength and the potential for a solid three-pitch mix.

Travieso can touch the mid 90s with his fastball, sitting comfortably in the 92-93 mph range, with very good movement in a downward plane. His buries his slider well down in the zone, with good late break to it. His changeup is deceptive at times, though he needs to improve his ability to keep it down in the strike zone.

Like with many young pitchers, he’ll need to refine his command at the next level, but he shows pretty solid presence and instincts on the mound while repeating a clean delivery fairly consistently. The fastball-slider duo alone would be enough for him to excel as a reliever, but he has the chance to develop into more than that down the line.

From Baseball America on Travieso ""He's a piece of clay," an area scout said late in May. "He used to be just all fastballs, but now he's learning to use his secondary stuff, and he's learning how to repeat his delivery. "He didn't start throwing his breaking ball until last year. Now he's touching 86 mph with his slider, and he's getting better life on his two-seamer as well."

He went 8-1 with a 0.76 ERA this year. He struck out 100 and walked 17 in 65 innings.

This is a good read on Travieso...He apparently had ties too the Reds organization...Also his dad managed him well by keeping from throwing his breaking ball until his Junior year and keeping him out of Summer Showcases...Again his comp has been Matt Cain I could with that...

Reds pick Florida right-hander Nick Travieso with 14th pick | reds.com: News

Some quotes that stand out too me...

A three-pitch power hurler, Travieso throws a fastball, slider and changeup. Scouting reports say his velocity ranges as high as 99 mph, sitting consistently in the mid-90s.

"I've hit it a few times, not just once," Travieso said. "I've been blessed by God with the ability to throw that hard. I'm usually sitting in the 93-95-mph range."

Buckley made a quick big league comparison to Giants right-hander Matt Cain.

"That would the guy that comes to me, and I scouted him when he was in high school a few years back," Buckley said.

Travieso, a Yankees fan growing up, preferred to mold his game closer to that of Roger Clemens.

"I've always followed him my whole life. He's been my idol," Travieso said. "I feel like I have the same bulldog mentality he does when he pitched on the mound."

"Right now, I'm looking forward to signing professionally and get my career started," Travieso said. "Hopefully, I will get up to Cincinnati as fast as I can to help the big league team win a World Series."

Height: 6'3"

Weight: 200

Bats: L

Throws: L

Any team interested in Winker on Draft day will be buying the bat. If his career as an amateur is any indication, it will be worth purchasing.

Winker has an advanced idea at the plate, with a terrific approach from the left side. He can hit the ball hard to all fields, with power to the pull side now with more to come. He is the type of left-handed hitter easy to project as a run-producer in the future.

Winker doesn't run particularly well and might be limited to left field or first base down the road. He does have a decent enough arm for a corner outfield spot and should hit enough for either position, a reason why some team will try to keep him from honoring that commitment to Florida.

An interesting thing on Winker is that he has been swinging a wooded bat in HS.

Height: 6'1"

Weight: 205

Throws: R

[video=youtube;rozvfB-GYh8]

He can flat out fly...

This UCLA outfielder has picked a very good time to figure things out at the plate, allowing him to shoot up Draft boards.

An inconsistent performer in the past, Gelalich has done nothing but hit in his junior season. He makes consistent hard contact and he’s starting to grow into what could be Major League average power. While Gelalich will still strik eout some, he’s become much more selective at the plate. A plus runner, he’s a threat to steal. He’s also improved defensively in terms of his reads and routes to go along with a solid-average arm.

College hitters who perform tend to move up as the Draft approaches, and that’s certainly happened with Gelalich, who is now seen as a potential everyday outfielder at the next level.

Weight: 205

Bats: R

Tanner Rahier - California on Vimeo

Rahier isn’t taking the most typical path as a Draft prospect. He doesn’t play for his high school team.

Instead, the infielder chose to play for his spring travel team, playing in wood bat games instead of for his Palm Desert High School team, and scouts have been sure to check him out this spring. An aggressive hitter who can really turn on fastballs, he has the chance to have plus power in the future. He does overswing and can struggle with breaking stuff at times. He’s an average runner, but basestealing won’t be a part of his game. Defensively, his best tool is his arm, though he also has decent hands and fairly good range.

He likely won’t stay at shortstop, though all of his skills, from the power bat to his defensive tools, should profile just fine at third base.

PerfectGame.org

David Rawnsley:

If the Reds get this done, and I expect they will, Tanner Rahier is one of the best values in the draft at this point. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't hit at the professional level. If he fails to get to the ML's it won't be through lack of effort, either.

Frankie Pilierre at Scout.com

Frankie Piliere:

Reds take Tanner Rahier. There he goes. I bet the Reds are quite capable of signing him.

Frankie Piliere:

Good read on the Reds 2nd Round Pick

Full Count » Potential Red Sox draft picks: Tanner Rahier

.394/.464/.639 18 doubles, four triples and four home runs in 155 at-bats.

Rahier is a line drive hitter who hits on a level swing plane. While Rahier will likely be more of a gap hitter than a home run hitter, his good bat speed gives him decent pull power, which has led some reports to project him as a player capable of around 20 home runs per year. In the field, Rahier is known for his strong arm strength, which could help him transition to third base. As a pitcher, Rahier can throw a fastball up to 93 mph, but his primary focus as a player will likely be in the field and in the batter’s box. According to Perfect Game, Rahier has drawn comparisons to Evan Longoria due to his physical features as well as tools as a player. Rahier is likely to move over to Longoria’s position at third base due to his size, and he could represent a consideration for the Red Sox with one of their first-round picks (Nos. 24 and 31).

Baseball America describes Rahier as a player who approaches the game with tremendous intensity. The publication cited a scout who said of Rahier, “He plays like a bat out of hell — he’s like Pete Rose.”

Height: 6'4"

Weight: 210

2012 MLB Draft Q & A: Jon Moscot

Scout.com: 2012 MLB Draft Q & A: Jon Moscot

We continue our 2012 MLB Draft Q & A series with an interview with Pepperdine junior pitcher Jon Moscot. Moscot has gone 6-5 with a 2.97 ERA and 91 strikeouts in 14 games and 106 innings pitched for the Green Wave this season and is generating substantial buzz in the draft rooms. Inside he discusses his pitching arsenal and approach on the mound, pitching in the Cape Cod League and much more.

Rays Digest: Can you tell me a little bit about your pitching arsenal? What types of pitches do you throw and at what speeds?

Jon Moscot: I throw a four-seam fastball that is between 90-93 and can get up to 94. My two-seam is 89-91. My changeup, which is a circle change goes 79-80. My split-finger is 80-83 and slider is 79-84. Against a right-handed batter, I’ll use the slider as the “out” pitch. Against a lefty, I’ll throw the split-finger.

Scouting Report

Fastball: Works 90-93 MPH with his 4 seamer and 89-91 with his two seamer.

Change up: Circle change up in the 80 MPH range.

Split Finger: Low 80’s that he uses mostly against left handers.

Slider: Low 80’s that he uses mostly against right handers.

Command: One of his better attributes, made good improvements from 2011 to 2012 in that department.

Very nice looking pick...Solid 3 or 4 Starter potential...

Height: 5'11"

Weight: 180

Throws: L

[video=youtube;5hT4DBwf-Zs]

The son of 10 year big league veteran and current Royals scout Rich. Beau has been a consistent player for UCLA and will enter his junior year as a 3rd year starter. He has played the last 2 summers in the Cape Cod League where he batted .242 with a HR and 5 RBI for the Chatham Anglers this past summer season. He was the 45th round pick out of Huntington Beach HS and after batting .354 as a freshman in 223 at bats he slipped to .299 last year. This year he is batting .333 with 4 HR and a .407 OBP with 8 SB. He could ended up being a similar player to his father with the ability to play several positions and start in stretches throughout his career. Very smart player who understands the right way to play the game.

Weight: 210

Bats: R

Scouting Report

Bat: Not much current power, but his size and projection suggests he could develop some solid power in the future. Could hit for a solid average.

Defense: He has a a strong arm and is considered to be incredibly athletic.

.351 AVG, 19 2b, 4 3b, 1 HR, 52 RBI, 9 SB

Seth Mejias-Brean's stellar junior season has inevitably led to comparisons - but not to other baseball players.

To hear the Arizona Wildcats third baseman's teammates tell it, Mejias-Brean is a cross between Paul Bunyan and Chuck Norris, with a little Roy Hobbs mixed in.

Hand the UA's starting third baseman a football, and he'll throw it 60 or 70 yards.

"They call him Tebow," coach Andy Lopez said.

Give Mejias-Brean a basketball, and he'll show off a 360-degree slam dunk.

"He's just a freak," outfielder Robert Refsnyder said.

But Mejias-Brean is at his best with a bat in his hands. His batting practice sessions are legendary, complete with towering home runs and crushed line drives that send teammates dodging.

At 6 feet 2 inches and 210 pounds, the Cienega High graduate fills out a uniform better than anybody on the team. Pro scouts love his projectability, whether it's at third base, in the outfield or at catcher - a position he's never played before.

"I mean, look at his body," shortstop Alex Mejia said. "You can see him playing in the big leagues, like, next year.

"I've never seen a player like him. When he hits it, and the ball's flying out, it's hit so hard. ... Really, it's almost like the thing is yelling."

Mejias-Brean, 21, will start at third base and hit fifth in the lineup Friday, when Arizona opens NCAA Regional play against Missouri at Hi Corbett Field. The double-elimination tournament is Arizona's first home playoff series since 1992; win, and the Wildcats (38-17) would advance to the Super Regionals with a chance to make the College World Series.

Much of Arizona's success can be tied to Mejias-Brean. The former three-sport star at Cienega has thrived since coming to Arizona, where he's majoring in agribusiness, economics and management. Athletically, he's now focused solely on baseball.

He's been at his best as a junior. Heading into the postseason, Mejias-Brean is hitting .351 with a team-high 19 doubles, one homer and 52 RBIs. His .486 slugging percentage is a career high, and strikeouts, once a problem are at a career-low 20.

"Power-wise, speed-wise and approach-wise, I've gotten a lot better," he said.

Along the way, Mejias-Brean has developed his newest, neatest trick - clutch hitting.

Batting with two out in the ninth inning Friday, Mejias-Brean rocketed a 98-mph fastball from Arizona State closer Jake Barrett into the left field corner. Robert Refsnyder scored all the way from first base, giving the Wildcats a 1-0 walk-off win over their rivals.

Mejias-Brean almost hit it too hard. The ball got to the outfield so fast that Refsnyder almost didn't have a chance to score. He ran through third base coach Matt Siegel's stop sign and would have been out if not for a bad throw.

Refsnyder said Mejias-Brean's big season is "just the tip of the iceberg."

His legend will continue to grow.

"It's weird, but I think he's still growing into his body and still learning how to play baseball," Refsnyder said. "He's already come up clutch. I think the more he plays, he's going to turn into a great baseball player."

Height: 6'1"

Weight: 200

Would have gone top 3 or 4 rounds but had a bad knee and missed the entire season...2nd Team HS All American...Power RHP with mid 90s fastball and more. Outstanding at WWBA Jupiter for Banditos.

Scouting Report

Fastball: Low 90’s fastball that can touch 96 MPH.

Curveball: Power curve with good biting action.

Change up: Shows a feel for the change up.

Other notes: Was projected as a potential 2nd-3rd rounder, but blew out his knee and missed the year.

Height: 6'6"

Weight: 225

Perfect1.jpg

Scouting Report

Fastball has been around 90 MPH in the past. Has had Tommy John surgery that led to him missing his freshman season of college.

2011: Pitched in three games with one start, his first appearances in a Yale uniform … Went 0-2 with 3.0 innings pitched … Struck out two batters, walked six and allowed eight hits, 14 runs, 10 earned runs.

2010: Did not see any action last spring.

Stuper Says: "At 6’6’’, 225 lbs., Nolan has enormous upside. As he continues to increase his velocity and improve his command, Nolan will become a key component to our pitching staff.”

Nolan Becker stepped off the mound and flipped the ball to Nick Wheatley-Schaller, his longtime battery mate.

“I don’t have it today,” Becker said, shaking his head in dismay.

Wheatley-Schaller smiled. He heard such words from Becker, Stuyvesant’s ace left-hander, before. He even felt better when the Yale-bound, 6-foot-6 senior isn’t confident going into one of his starts.

But Wheatley-Schaller didn’t imagine such a magnificent afternoon. Becker didn’t just have “it,” he possessed plenty more, dominating with a high 80s fastball he spotted to each side of the plate and the devastatingly sharp breaking ball he went to ahead in the count.

In fact, he was perfect.

Eighteen Manhattan Bridges batters faced Nolan; he struck all 18 of them out, tossing his first career perfect game in a 10-0 Stuyvesant win at Pier 40. The Hitmen, led by seniors Becker, Wheatley Schall, shortstop Zachary Karson and outfielder Nicholas Rozar, are now 4-0 in Manhattan A West.

Just three hitters made contact, none of which managed to put the ball in play. Only a couple worked the count to three balls.

“Anybody that throws a perfect game, no matter who you are, who you are pitching against, it’s something special,” Stuy coach John Carlesi said. “It’s the first time I ever coached a perfect game.”

Said Becker: “I knew if I didn’t get it, I would be thinking about that the rest of my life. It just meant a lot me, to have my dad be able to see it and be able to do this for my team my last year of high school.”

Becker caught Wheatley-Schaller in the air at the foot of the mound moments after his last strikeout, of junior catcher Jose Payamps. Several teammates hopped on top of him, too, but nobody could bring down the hulking senior. His teammates didn’t mind; when they broke a huddle, they chanted his name.

“He’s a star, man,” Payamps said.

Carlesi, in his seventh year, spent more time teaching his players the proper etiquette for such a situation than flashing signs. He had to remind several Hitmen not to talk about the scenario to Becker, who didn’t obey traditional protocol by sitting by himself between innings.

“One of the JV kids almost came over to him and I said, ‘If you do, you won’t be playing baseball anymore,’” Carlesi said, half serious, half joking. “He said, ‘Oh yeah, it’s a jinx.’”

Becker wasn’t worried about anyone mentioning the perfect game. He was well aware of the situation. One fan told him how many Gladiators he whiffed before the final frame and he laughed. Wheatley-Schaller said it is Becker’s goal to throw a perfect game every time out.

“Anything short of that is a failure,” the catcher said. “You can tell he’s bothered when he gives up a hit or walk.”

Remarkably, this was just Becker’s second league outing of the year. He is a different pitcher this spring, more confident in his stuff and equipped to handle disappointment. He would often get frustrated last year when he failed to repeat his deliver or didn’t hit his target. He spent the offseason playing in tournaments spanning the country with the Bayside Yankees, an elite travel team that raised his profile.

“He’s got more toughness now,” his father, Ken Becker, said.

Becker was put to the test in the bottom of the fourth. With one out, he went to a 3-0 count on junior shortstop Edward Mejia. Last year, Carlesi said, Becker would’ve become unhinged, and offered a walk. Not this time. He bore down with three consecutive blazing fastballs, one harder and in a better spot than the next.

“That was my proudest strikeout,” he said, grinning.

Although he spent the winter leading the Stuyvesant boys’ basketball team to the Manhattan A Southwest division crown, Becker found his groove on the diamond pretty quickly. In addition to his 2-0 record and 30 strikeouts in 11 innings pitched, he is hitting .636 with one home run and 10 RBIs.

“It’s exciting every time he goes to the mount, to be behind the plate, knowing something like this could happen,” Wheatley Schall said.

Becker kept the ball and the scorebook. The room in his Chelsea home is already filled with trophies and commemorative baseballs, but this day, Wednesday, April 8, will hold a special place in his heart forever.

“This,” he said, clutching the ball, “is probably the best.”

Height: 6'0"

Weight: 180

Brent Peterson was drafted by the Reds in 2010 in round 17 so they must really like this kid...He chose to attend army over the Reds before eventually going to a JUCO...I like the kid his favorite moment is hitting a HR at GABP

MISCELLANEOUS: Gifted infield prospect from the talent-rich state of California ... decided to attend West Point rather than begin professional career after being drafted by the Cincinnati Reds out of high school ... extremely talented athlete who is pencilled in as the Black Knights' shortstop of the future ... will see playing time at third base, shortstop and second base this spring ... expected to challenge for starting time at third base immediately ... slotted to play shortstop when Clint Moore pitches ... plus runner on the basepaths ... boasts above average arm strength ... hits to all fields ... possesses power to the gaps ... shows great athleticism ... has bright future within the Army program ... valued member of the Black Knights' freshman class.

HIGH SCHOOL: Played for head coach Tony Mills at Liberty High ... four-year member of the All-Southwest Yosemite League first team ... named the 2010 Bakersfield Area Player of the Year after hitting .485 with 25 stolen bases as a senior ... hit .442 during a standout junior campaign ... was twice named to the Under Armour preseason All-America team ... played for the highly-regarded St. Louis Cardinals MLB scout team under the direction of head coach Chuck Fick ... drafted in the 17th round of the 2010 Major League Baseball Draft by the Cincinnati Reds ... also excelled on the track ... represented Northern California at the NTIB Series in Cary, N.C.

Height: 6'4"

Weight: 215

Scouting Report

Fastball: Between 91-96 MPH.

Curveball: Solid pitch that is his second pitch he goes to.

Change up: Lags behind his other two pitches.

He put up very good K numbers in his career...

2009 34IP, 33K

2010 76IP, 75K

2011 81IP, 103K

2012 110IP, 154K

Height: 5'11"

Weight: 206

2012 Draft Coverage | Draft Tracker: Jose Ortiz, High School Catcher - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

Jose Ortiz is a 2012 C with a 5-11 205 lb. frame from Comerio, PR who attends Juana Colon School. Thick mature build, very good strength. Right handed hitter, very aggressive swing approach, rotational swing with lift and power, looks to pull, commits early and attacks, ball jumps hard when centered, game home run, crushes mistakes. Very good arm strength behind the plate, quick compact arm stroke, 1.86 best pop time, active feet, will have to work on hands/receiving skills. Has the tools to keep improving. Good student.

Bat: Has some good power, particularly to the pull side. Aggressive approach that may need to be honed in some as a pro.

Defense: Very strong arm with pop times in the 1.8’s. Needs to work on his receiving though.

Height: 6'8"

Weight: 225

[video=youtube;sHPmBJfR-DE]

What others are saying:: 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BBs, 1 K vs. Twins in D. R. ... 3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 Ks vs Jays ... Steve Renko-type body, Touched 90 ... Needs better body control ... 2 IP, 4 R, 0 ER vs. Braves ... Strong vs Dominican in Az. for Langley before 155 scouts.

On others: 353rd on PG's top 500 list ... PG's 5th best prospect in Canada ... BA's 5th best Canadian

Scouting Report

Fastball: Works in the high 80’s and has touched 91 MPH with good movement.

Breaking Ball: More of a slurvy type pitch.

Other notes: Has some mechanical issues that have some scouts concerned.