Walton-Verona - 2019 Schedule

8/9 at Grant County (Scrimmage)

8/16 at Bellevue (Scrimmage)

8/23 at Lloyd Memorial

8/30 vs. Covington Holy Cross

9/6 vs. North Laurel

9/13 vs. Newport Central Catholic

9/20 at Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy (OH)

9/27 at Gallatin County (District Game)

10/4 vs. Carroll County (District Game)

10/11 at Owen County (District Game)

10/18 vs. Shawnee (District Game)

11/1 at Louisville Holy Cross

Out of district schedule is upgraded. After both Lloyd & Walton swept the Jessamine Co Bowl over the last two years, they play in the opener. +

Continued series with Covington Holy Cross & Walton is 2-3 vs the Indians in their last 5 meetings. Holy Cross will be improved. =

North Laurel struggled a little last year, but finished 9-3 in 2017 & 7-5 in 2016 as a 5A school known for physicalty. This replaces Holmes after the Bearcats dominated the series. +

Newport Central Catholic, enough said. Perennial state power & one of the more respected programs in the area and state. This replaces LCA, who Walton never got much credit for playing over the last 6 years, but a very high level program. Neutral in strength gain. =

Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy (CHCA). Ohio playoff team, which actually means something in that state. Will be a major test for Walton, but a great "get" on the schedule. This replaced the one year deal with Paintsville who came to town after Trimble cancelled their season. Certainly an upgrade to the schedule for the next 2 years. +

Louisville Holy Cross replaces Bellevue, which is also an upgrade. +

There will always be those who doubt and cast jabs. The Bearcats scheduled well over the years and built a very reputable program in a short time. Keep building!!!

Out of district schedule is upgraded. After both Lloyd & Walton swept the Jessamine Co Bowl over the last two years, they play in the opener. +

Continued series with Covington Holy Cross & Walton is 2-3 vs the Indians in their last 5 meetings. Holy Cross will be improved. =

North Laurel struggled a little last year, but finished 9-3 in 2017 & 7-5 in 2016 as a 5A school known for physicalty. This replaces Holmes after the Bearcats dominated the series. +

Newport Central Catholic, enough said. Perennial state power & one of the more respected programs in the area and state. This replaces LCA, who Walton never got much credit for playing over the last 6 years, but a very high level program. Neutral in strength gain. =

Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy (CHCA). Ohio playoff team, which actually means something in that state. Will be a major test for Walton, but a great "get" on the schedule. This replaced the one year deal with Paintsville who came to town after Trimble cancelled their season. Certainly an upgrade to the schedule for the next 2 years. +

There will always be those who doubt and cast jabs. The Bearcats scheduled well over the years and built a very reputable program in a short time. Keep building!!!

This!

Now that Beechwood is 2A, that seems like a logical out of district game to gauge WV's competitiveness. Assuming, Beechwood is willing which they may not be.

I don’t think that would be a game that Beechwood would pick up for out of district. They tend to schedule up in class or schedule games that force them to travel in preparation for the playoffs.

I think this is a solid schedule for Walton who continues to improve as program. I’m sure eventually they will continue to step up the competition level, but for a small school like Walton they’ve scheduled every team in Northern Kentucky that is open to playing them at this point.

I will have to agree to disagree with you there. I think ending the series with Kentucky Country Day and Lexington Christian is a bad decision. Those we're both very competitive games, and were also giving Walton a look at other 2A competition in the state. I think LCA and New Cath are generally close to on par with one another, although I would probably give New Cath a slight edge over LCA. If they'd kept those the KCD and LCA games in, and scrapped either Lloyd, Louisville Holy Cross, or Covington Holy Cross, then I'd think a LOT more of Walton's schedule. As it stands, I look at this schedule, and I think "mehh".

That Paintsville game last season, which was a last-minute add after Trimble called off their season, was a great game for Walton. Why not try to keep that one one the schedule? Walton May have lost by a couple of TD's, but that was playing a GOOD team that really challenged their players without just beating them into the dirt, like a lot of NKY teams end up having done when they schedule schools over in Cincinnati.

Now that Beechwood is 2A, that seems like a logical out of district game to gauge WV's competitiveness. Assuming, Beechwood is willing which they may not be.

I agree with @Glider that Beechwood wouldn't be very likely to schedule Walton-Verona. Scott would be a good game for the Bearcats to look at though. I think WV needs to look at the idea of having 1 or 2 games against higher-classified teams, even if they may well end up being obvious losses. Boone County or Conner could maybe be options at this point. Bourbon County, or Mason County could be some good teams to look into too.

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue

• 4 months later...
So what does Walton have returning for the 2019 football season, and which positions are they going to be looking to have upcoming players fill?

Looking to fill Qb position and some spots on the O-line. Talented group and seems to be working hard. Maybe a surprise group that is better than some thought they would be.