Question?

My middle school daughter has played JV soccer for the past two years. At our last two soccer banquets the middle school kids were told they were not getting any type of patches or numbers until they were in high school. We were told this was a decision made by the athletic director. My question is this, just because you have a team of middle school kids filling out your freshman and JV roster, does that make them any less deserving of receiving the patches or numbers?

IMO, if they played on the team they should be celebrated as part of that team. To ask them to play up, (presumably it is their option) and then not give them credit for doing so is very weak "administration". Now, this all assumes the players called up actually contributed to the team. Moving up and primarily sitting the bench, all just for the personal experience, probably doesn't count.

If it's a general rule then I think it is okay. I think it would mean more to get those patches, bars, pins, plaques, or letters as high school players. This is not something that is worth getting upset about.

Not sure if we are at the same school but that is how it is at my daughter's school. She played soccer in high school but another sport in middle school and actually qualifed for state as a 7th grader. We always joked how funny it would be if she decided to quit (she had to pick between her two favorite sports) that the first female state qualifier from that school would not have a varisty letter. I think the rule is dumb but if across the board as we have experienced whatever.

It's just a case where schools have failed to adapt to the changing times. I get it. 30-40 years ago, middle schoolers rarely played varsity sports and if they did, it wasn't enough to letter. Times have changed. Some schools have changed their policy and some haven't.

I agree with everyone above, but this is not something that is worth complaining to a coach about or emailing a principal. She'll get one next year and in 8 years show won't even know where it is.