Getting Recruited

How do you get your son noticed by college football programs so he'll get recruited?

What, as a parent, can I do to facilitate my son's goal of playing college football?

How do I make contact with coaches? And what should my son do to set himself up to be recruited and to interact with college coaches?

I am living this right now and sorry to say, started thinking about it way too late. But, I am making up for lost time. I did get very good help from BGPers when I posted some questions last spring.

Fortunately, there is an excellent thread on this topic in the college sports forum under the College Recruiting Forum by Ram called Getting a College Football Scholarship. He does a series of 4 posts with invaluable information of how to go about getting recruited starting when your son is a freshman.

For some reason, I didn't see this thread until now. As a public service, I want to help others who are asking these same questions so I am providing the link to this thread. You can thank @Ram after you read it. I am so glad he took the time to provide this information.

http://bluegrasspreps.com/college-recruiting/getting-a-college-263123.html

I just finished this process after going through it for 3 yrs. I think you can start when your a Freshman, but I really feel (and confirmed but college coaches) that players are way too under developed at that age to get noticed. You can however get noticed after the Sophomore season. My son got his 1st offer after his Sophomore season. Also case in point, super stud Soph Michael Mayer did after his Soph Season started to blow up quickly. But they are not all Super Sophs. Really have to be realistic about what Division you think your kid can play. Spend your time wisely at those camps. Try to hit camps that are D1 schools that allow other D2 and D3 schools to attend their camps. UC used to do this, but the new regime put a stop to that. My son got his 1st offer from Toledo after they saw him at UC. I really believe camps and Timely Hudl films are the biggest part. Parents have to email the Hudl links out to college coaches at least twice per year. Mid season and End of season. Start right after bowl season. Recruiting services are a waste of money, college coaches will find your kid if he’s got the talent and/or potential. Let’s face it, they are college coaches for a reason. Recruiting services are not college coaches for a reason, right? But leg work by the parent is essential and off season work outside of the high school weight room is essential for the player. Speed and Agility training is a must. Toledo offered him at 16 because he ran a 4.8 40 at 6’3” 260 lbs. Furthermore, if he does get an offer, he realistic on what his potential is after that. I feel we wasted too much time chasing a Power 5 offer after getting a Mid Major offer. Feel free to private message me, I’d be happy to share more, even a chit chat if necessary.

BTW, I consider the thread by @Ram to be a great thread. It should be in the BGP Hall-of-Fame. The information is spot on and highly useful. It took a lot of work to put that together.

I'm glad that thread may have helped you, and your son, in some way. Keep up the work, it's a marathon and it will be over fast. I can honestly say, I had a blast during my son's recruiting process. It was a time I will never forget. Enjoy the ride.

BTW, I am not asking those questions at this point. I started the thread to direct people to Ram's great thread. I didn't express myself well in the first post. I am well on my way to answering those questions for myself, but I started out not knowing where to begin. I posted these questions and a link to a thread that does a good job of answering how and where to begin so that if there are others who, like me, haven't got a clue, they could get solid advice of where to begin and a process to follow.

As I said, it is a PSA.