Newport 59 Boone County 56

Well it wasn't the prettiest of games, but the Wildcats escape with the victory. Boone County has to be kicking themselves in the rear as careless ball handling cost them the game. I spoke with a Boone Co. parent before the game started , and asked what happened in the loss to Holy Cross and he said the Rebels committed 23 turnovers......well they had to have at least that many tonight. Conversely, the Cats had their fair share of careless passes as well.

Every player has an "offnight", and that's exactly what Cats star McKell Burries had, as he struggled shooting and turning the ball over. However, Tajh Harding and Donnie Miller picked up the slack. Harding was all over the boards at both ends and Miller's ability to penetrate and finish at the rim propelled the Cats.

For Boone County early on, it was the hot shooting of Trevon Harris, who went 6 for his first 6 from the field, but it was Ethan Robbins and Raymond Rodgers who almost got the Rebels to victory. Robbins reminds me of a Kurt Rambis kind of player, a hard working, blue collar type. Rodgers will surprise you with his small stature, but he plays big.

Newport

Harding 19

Miller 16

Burries 15

Boone Co.

Rodgers 17

Robbins 14

Harris 12

Christian brothers offered per his Twitter page. I heard from a source that he needed a better ACT score to get in.

Never saw the offer on verbal commits? Not sure what kind of student he is but I know CBU's M.O. is usually student first, athlete second.