Playing basketball in a prison

MOver

Some Boyle County graduates and basketball coaches went to play basketball at Northpoint Training Center, a medium-security prison. After, some of them shared their testimonials and spoke with prisoners.

Story on AMNews.com

My question: Is this something you would do? Would you be nervous at all?

Dang is that where Bud Mackey is or something?

There were seven "kids" that played for Boyle and I was told the Northpoint team was subbing constantly.

24 second shot clock in a 40 minute game, I think they probably wore down.

My uncle just got out of prison after serving 24 years for two capital murder charges. He wouldn't kill a person for no reason. You would have have to look at him funny or something similar before he would kill you. To answer the question, yes the fact they are in prison would be in the back of my mind at all times.

Though I haven't done it, I have a lot of friends who have played sports in prison. A lot of my WKY buddies I used to play softball with back in the day used to play guys on the prison farm outside of Eddyville, and the state pen in Eddyville. I remember being told the story of a bunch of them playing once at the state pen, and an inmate not liking a call made by one of the umps. This guy approaches the ump in a threatening manner. Well, a bunch of inmates are sitting on a wall watching the game...as this guy approaches the ump, several of them hop off the wall, grab the guy and haul him off before the guards or anyone else can even move. Problem solved, game resumes. They said that the inmates knew if something bad happened, this privilege would be taken away from them, and they didn't want that. They "policed" their own.