Henry Clay to State Final

Another example of strong club training paying off but this time it is a public school. Kudos to Henry Clay for being the first public school in recent history (probably ever) to legitimately make it to the final by beating one of the Big Four (Mercy in this case) on the way.

Greenwood made it a few years ago, **but they did not have to defeat one of the Big Four to get there** which is really the standard to be held to. They and HC are the only 2 Public Schools to ever make it.

And yes, there have been long discussions on here about private schools having an advantage, that all their girls play club volleyball, etc. My answer has always been there's nothing stopping any girl anywhere from playing club volleyball, regardless of what HS they attend. It makes a huge difference, and you won't be successful at the State wide level without it. It also has many other benefits, college scholarships being one.

There is one thing stopping girls from playing club. Money. Club volleyball is expensive for sure. Other than that, you are correct, no other obstacles.

Wouldn't $$ be the same barrier for everyone? You have to prioritize your budget. and most clubs offer some sort of financial relief on the club dues if it's needed.

Money is not the same barrier for everyone bc families have different incomes and not all have the financial freedom to be able to afford for their kids to play club ball because it is very expensive. I know there are choices and sacrifices but it's not always that simple. Some clubs do offer a break, but that isn't always enough to make ends meet. Not speaking from experience, but some families just don't have the luxury to afford club ball or private schools, etc.

Money is a barrier if you don't have it.

To quote an episode of Friends...

Ross: I just never think of money as an issue.

Rachel: That's 'cause you have it.

Ross: That's a good point.