Updated Maher Rankings 1/31

The new rankings have been posted. Check out the Movers of the Week, Upset of the Week, Region Strengths and Games of the Week upcoming. Let us know what you think, as always.

Maher Rankings | Kentucky High School Soccer Rankings

top 20:

Rank Team

1 Elizabethtown

2 Butler

3 Male

4 Mercer County

5 Murray

6 DuPont Manual

7 Mercy

8 Bowling Green

9 Allen County-Scottsville

10 Franklin County

11 Holmes

12 Ryle

13 Lincoln County

14 Bullitt East

15 Simon Kenton

16 Sacred Heart

17 Campbell County

18 Owensboro Catholic

19 Southwestern

20 Eastern

Dang, Mason County not in the top 20 at 18-3 and losses to #3, #11 and #17. Beat #5 All A Champs, #12 and #15. Tough to make the top 20!!!!!

Going to have to fully agree with this. Something is seriously off with this ranking system to not have MC in the top 20. They were a final four team last year and lost no one. Not sure how this is compiled but that doesn't make any sense.

Going to have to fully agree with this. Something is seriously off with this ranking system to not have MC in the top 20. They were a final four team last year and lost no one. Not sure how this is compiled but that doesn't make any sense.

What is their strength of schedule rating?

Anytime you take a bus load of HS girls for a ride exceeding an hour, during a school week, the potential for coming out flat is large. MC body of work merits a top 10 ranking. The Campbell County loss is an anomaly and weighed way to heavily.

BTW, based upon LIT results, there is some argument for changes at the top.

There are 269 girls teams in the state. Mason County dropped from #16 to #23 mostly caused by the 13 point loss to Campbell. They dropped 2.5 scaled rating points, because they lost by 13 to a team they were supposed to beat. The system does view that harshly. However, the # ranking points that they dropped is a little more complicated. It depends on what the teams around them did. Southwestern, for example, was only 0.01 points behind them last week so not surprising that they jumped them. Imagine the outcry we would get from the Campbell County fans if they were still below them.

Still we do understand the single bad game phenomenon. It wouldn't surprise me if they have a bounce back game, and move right on back up!

Mason beat Murray and we have been behind them the whole year. This is OK, Mason likes being disrespected.

Did you read the soccer math's explanation? Its just math! No reason to take offense.

Murray is 24 - 1, with only the 2 point loss to a very good Mason. Murray, with the best record in the state, is #5 on this math driven poll.

So, if Math soccer decided to ignore the math, where should Mason be? #4? Finally above Murray where they belong? Or should Murray be much lower??

Lots of teams listed here have been ranked below teams they have beat. Mercy, Bowling Green, ACS, Ryle? None are whining about respect.

There are 269 girls teams in the state. Mason County dropped from #16 to #23 mostly caused by the 13 point loss to Campbell. They dropped 2.5 scaled rating points, because they lost by 13 to a team they were supposed to beat. The system does view that harshly. However, the # ranking points that they dropped is a little more complicated. It depends on what the teams around them did. Southwestern, for example, was only 0.01 points behind them last week so not surprising that they jumped them. Imagine the outcry we would get from the Campbell County fans if they were still below them.

Still we do understand the single bad game phenomenon. It wouldn't surprise me if they have a bounce back game, and move right on back up!

Would it be correct to say that your system rewards teams for not scheduling terrible teams? I know that's harsh and I don't mean to imply that teams from one area are bad and can't compete with another area.

I ask because I noticed that Mason County is one spot behind Henry Clay. At first glance, it doesn't look like Henry Clay has played more "top 25" teams than Mason. Furthermore, I think Scott County is the only top 25 team that they've actually defeated. Mason definitely has more wins against top 25 teams. But... they also have played more teams that had no chance of defeating them.

To be clear, I have no vested interest in the answer. Just trying to clear things up.