Soldier With PTSD Dies In Police Custody

Clyde

Graphic video of soldier shows moments before his death while in police custody - Around the Web - wkrc

Disturbing to watch.

My biggest concern about this entire incident is the lack of medical response being sought by the police.

Sad. PTSD is something that even some on here have poo-poo'd as being "mentally weak." We do not do enough as a country to support our military men and women who continue to struggle with it. Sad, sad, sad.

Based on what I see and read, the thread title and article are wrong. It's fun to hate on police these days so I can see why they say that he died in police custody. However based on what I read, he died in a jail surrounded by corrections officers, not in police custody.

OK, just to be clear, and I don't want this to sound disrespectful whatsoever, because I agree wholeheartedly that PTSD is a terrible, poorly treated disease for sure, but he ends up in the pokey for DUI, correct? Then has an episode in the jail where he had an incident where he caused himself to bleed we assume was a PTSD episode (which is hard to deny) But the rest sure looked like he has another medical condition altogether. His shallow gasps at the end look like an untreated asthmatic event. I'm not saying that PTSD isn't real. I'm not insinuating that this shouldn't have been handled differently. But a healthy male of that age shouldn't have been in a respiratory event. The video was choppy to be honest and who knows what is in there in it's entirety and what's been edited. I'd be interested in the result of the autopsy.

And I know this sounds disrespectful and that's surely not my intent. Just something doesn't add up to the eyeball for me is all.

Based on what I see and read, the thread title and article are wrong. It's fun to hate on police these days so I can see why they say that he died in police custody. However based on what I read, he died in a jail surrounded by corrections officers, not in police custody.

Gotcha. Doesn't change the issue and my and others' concerns about appropriate response.

OK, just to be clear, and I don't want this to sound disrespectful whatsoever, because I agree wholeheartedly that PTSD is a terrible, poorly treated disease for sure, but he ends up in the pokey for DUI, correct? Then has an episode in the jail where he had an incident where he caused himself to bleed we assume was a PTSD episode (which is hard to deny) But the rest sure looked like he has another medical condition altogether. His shallow gasps at the end look like an untreated asthmatic event. I'm not saying that PTSD isn't real. I'm not insinuating that this shouldn't have been handled differently. But a healthy male of that age shouldn't have been in a respiratory event. The video was choppy to be honest and who knows what is in there in it's entirety and what's been edited. I'd be interested in the result of the autopsy.

And I know this sounds disrespectful and that's surely not my intent. Just something doesn't add up to the eyeball for me is all.

Could the PTSD that caused him to lose control have then led to his breathing issues? The video , to my untrained medical eye, showed a person whose breathing was concerning and it appears that not much was done to expedite getting him proper aid. That's the issue. Did the correction officers fail in their duties to get him help?

Could the PTSD that caused him to lose control have then led to his breathing issues? The video , to my untrained medical eye, showed a person whose breathing was concerning and it appears that not much was done to expedite getting him proper aid. That's the issue. Did the correction officers fail in their duties to get him help?
No question.

I think you will find in many jails in the US poorly trained corrections officers that fail to recognize when to administer aid. My opinion is that law enforcement officers (police) are much better equiped to deal with these situations rather than "guards" in a facility. The medical care and treatment in jail facilities is atrocious in many cases, the ability to recognize mental health issues worse and the lack of situational awareness to tend to persons in custody is beyond stupid at times.

I would never want a corrections officer to have to discern between mental health issues and medical issues...your chances are not that great.