Southwest Airlines Refuse to Let Woman Call Suicidal Husband; Makes Hollow Gesture

Southwest Refuses to Let Woman Respond to Suicidal Text From Husband

A Wisconsin woman said Southwest Airlines refused to let her use her cell phone to make a call that could have saved her husband’s life before he committed suicide.

Last month, Karen Momsen-Evers was flying back to Milwaukee after a girls’ trip to New Orleans. Right before takeoff, she received a text from her husband, Andy, that read, “Karen, please forgive me for what I am about to do, I am going to kill myself…”

But don't worry, Southwest offered to refund her her ticket price...:rolleyes:

The airline has since offered Momsen-Evers a refund for her ticket but has not provided an explanation of its handling of the situation.

"They got on their knees, put their hats over their heart and gave me the, ‘I regret to inform you that your husband has died,’"Momsen-Evers said.

This also seems strange.

I thought the same thing, although I have no idea what the standard practice for something like that is.

It's a real shame because it sounds like he was reaching out for help and perhaps she could have talked him out of it.

That, or at the very least contacted the police or someone else back home that could've gotten to him in time.

The part that really irked me from the article is that they offered to refund her ticket price....I mean, really? Like that matters?

Full disclosure, I hate flying, I think that airlines treat passengers like cattle herding them into small spaces and have among the worst customer service of any industry. If I can drive it in less the 15 hours I'm driving.

That said something sounds fishy here.

I am highly doubtful that a flight attendant slapped the phone down and I also don't see police officers taking knees to inform the lady of her husband's death.

Full disclosure, I hate flying, I think that airlines treat passengers like cattle herding them into small spaces and have among the worst customer service of any industry. If I can drive it in less the 15 hours I'm driving.

That said something sounds fishy here.

I am highly doubtful that a flight attendant slapped the phone down and I also don't see police officers taking knees to inform the lady of her husband's death.

Let's assume she's embellishing those details a bit. Does that really change anything?

Maybe, maybe not. I would really like to hear the other side.

In the article, the airline stated: "“Our hearts go out to the Evers family during this difficult time. Our flight attendants are trained to notify the Captain if there is an emergency that poses a hazard to the aircraft or to the passengers on-board. In this situation, the pilots were not notified.”"

In the article, the airline stated: "“Our hearts go out to the Evers family during this difficult time. Our flight attendants are trained to notify the Captain if there is an emergency that poses a hazard to the aircraft or to the passengers on-board. In this situation, the pilots were not notified.”"

Still doesn't explain their side of it. I'm not saying they were right but I would like to hear their side of what went down.

I don't know if anyone has noticed but I'm a bit of a cynic when it comes to people making claims of being harmed by some corporate entity with deep pockets. Before I call for Southwest to pay through the nose I'd like to hear their side.

Still doesn't explain their side of it. I'm not saying they were right but I would like to hear their side of what went down.

I don't know if anyone has noticed but I'm a bit of a cynic when it comes to people making claims of being harmed by some corporate entity with deep pockets. Before I call for Southwest to pay through the nose I'd like to hear their side.

Who's asking them to pay?