Boone's New Coach Is...

... Chris Norris. I know nothing about him so what can you tell me? I did Google him and if it's the same guy he coaches for Kings Hammer, no?

I found out on March 20 and was waiting for some kind of announcement on the web site or something. I finally got tired of waiting. It's not unknown, any way. The boys on the team have known since about that same time.

hoops5: I cannot answer in detail because the players read BGP and some know my handle. There will be a real mix this year of some experienced players, some with a little bit of varsity experience, and some with almost no varsity experience. The play in the goal will be a little better than last year (and it was good last year) simply because it will be the same player with one more year under his belt. He may be challenged for play time by the other goalie we had who was able to start. The two players are very evenly matched, though one gets the nod for keeping his cool and helping the defensive players get in position. The defensive row will range from very experienced to newbie. Wheeler in the middle of the defense will be missed (graduated). Of course, Mayberry will be missed on offense, but we do have a returning player who has played there since he was a sophomore and plays at a high level in club ball. I am trying to remember who else played up front but I am having trouble--I'm getting old. The deal is that several players split time between midfield and the front line. Also, I don't know how others may step up but I think we could have some trouble scoring. I was impressed with how a couple of the JV players filled in at midfield last year. Boone had that 5 game stretch when Coach Browning imposed discipline on several players so JV guys filled in and got valuable experience. I saw lots of improvement at midfield and it will be interesting to see if we can control the ball there. The JV coach did a fine job of teaching last year and so it remains to be seen how those players step up. But I must say I think the back row defense could find themselves very busy this year.

I am interested to see how the program goes with a new coach. We need talented and athletic guys to choose to play soccer at Boone. Though Boone's team has played at a high level the last several years (only Cov Cath gave them little chance of winning in their game last year) there is a trend. 2012 team went to state final four. 2013 team, coach thought was even better but they lost in regional. 2014 team was a bit below the level of the previous year. I am concerned that this year's team may fall short of the 2014 squad. However, it remains to be seen how the players have improved over the time off and may come out with a strong effort. I expect they will be competitive but Cooper may be the team to beat in the district. I do look forward to the season and watching several of the guys who have played alongside my son for the last three years. They are a good group of guys.

Who can tell me about the new coach?

I ran into Coach Norris last night and we briefly chatted about his new opportunity at Boone. He had his first meeting with the boys yesterday which seemed to go well or at least as well as first introductions can go. Phone interviews for the other coaching positions have occurred which was good to hear for the boys. Too early for any details on those.