Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Watusi

Membership
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Watusi

  1. Does this win secure a home playoff game for Garrard? Assuming they beat Mercer of course. if so that should be a winnable game bs the 3rd place team from D6
  2. Sorry @Hearsay for your loss, but I am really happy for my Garrard County friends who I count as family. This was a great win for the Golden Lions and I’m thrilled for them. What a play call in OT. Wow!!!
  3. Betsy Layne (2-5) will host Belfry (6-1) Friday night at Bobcat Stadium in Stanville. If you have never been to Bobcat Stadium, you should go and experience one of the more picturesque football fields in eastern KY. The school is secluded and the football stadium is cut back into, and is surrounded by mountains. Hard to beat on a mid-October night. Belfry has never lost to Betsy Layne, holding a 5-0 record against them. The first meeting came in 1987 and then the two teams were district opponents from 1999-2002 with Pirates having dominated the Bobcats in that series. In the 5 games total, Belfry has outscored Betsy Layne by a combined score of 252-12, an average score of 50.4-2.4 per game But that was then and this is now. Coach Jarrell has built a winning program at Betsy Layne. Prior to this season, the Bobcats are 32-14 under his tenure, including 10-2 and 9-3 seasons in 2023 and 2024. They have gotten off to a slower start in 2025, but have still been one of the best success stories in KY high school football over the past several years. Belfry enters as a heavy favorite, but as we have seen before you never know what might happen on any given Friday.
  4. 4A is taking shape and the playoffs are gonna be fun to watch
  5. Here’s a coaching question I find interesting now that we are in the meat of district play. We see it every week, a lot of these district games are lopsided. Kids know it, and it affects them mentally, like it or not. How tough is it to get your team prepared during the week for one of those games? Both as a heavy favorite and also as a heavy underdog. Does your approach change vs a week where the opponent is more on an even level with your team?
  6. I really enjoy this show thank you guys for doing it. I find myself always playing catch up and listening to the podcasts 2 or 3 in a row after the fact. That’s a perk of modern technology that I’m grateful to have.
  7. It will definitely be interesting to watch the RPI shift around weekly as these district games are played. It could look a lot different in 4 weeks. I can’t even begin to forecast 3rd and 4th round matchups based on these initial ratings as bad as I would like to.
  8. Am I correct in thinking everyone in 2A not from Beechwood needs to be cheering for Highlands this week?
  9. I’m a numbers guy, so I LOVE the work he is doing here, but I gotta admit, @JUGGSPORTS really intimidates me now
  10. Belfry (5-1) will host East Ridge (2-4) on Thursday night at Philip Haywood Stadium in Belfry in yet another game between Pike County teams. These two teams were district opponents from 2002-2012 with Pirates having dominated the Warriors in those 11 meetings, outscoring them by a combined 515-25, an average score of 46.8 - 2.27. Belfry / East Ridge All-Time Belfry has now dropped down a class and has rejoined East Ridge in 2A, District 8.
  11. When I read your number 4. I was already starting to type and ask when Dan Haley was hired, but you answered that later on down in your reply. That was a turn-around for sure. Wilson Sears had a lot of success and had BG in the winning column a lot, but left after the 81 season, then the team went 2-9 and 5-6 under another coach before hiring Dan Haley in 83. And we all know now how that turned out in the long run. If I am reading the data correctly, 1983 was the last time BG had a regular season record below .500. That's pretty impressive. In 1983 the Purples were 5-6 according to the link provided by VF111 (thanks, I love that stuff). Scheduling was different back then, and only 1 team from each district made the playoffs. The note said they were co-district champion but lost the tie breaker to Franklin Simpson and did not make the playoffs.
  12. I am counting on @Purple88 to answer this one...
  13. Bowling Green is a flagship program in KY. I love watching them play and admire the success they have. That's why it looks so strange to see their current record sitting at 1-5. They have played a tough schedule, which is normal for them, but they haven't been able to win many of those games. I am not kicking them while they are down, I am just wondering if they have a shot at avoiding a below .500 record heading into the playoffs. In order to do so, they would have to win out against Warren Central, Greenwood, Grayson County and then Franklin County (on the road),Tall task for this team, especially that Franklin County game. To finish above .500 overall they would have to do all the above AND win 2 playoff games, or if they lose one of their remaining games then they would have to win 3 playoff games. Here is some stats about how dominant they have been. Going back to 1990 and all the way through the 2024 season, the Purples have a record of 394-75, which is an 84% winning percentage. That is some rarified air they are breathing. They have won 9 State Championships, including the last 2 and 3 out of the last 5 Going back to 1990, they have had one losing season, where they were 5-6 in 2002, and 5-5 in the regular season. The only other season they flirted with being below .500 was in 2021 where they finished 6-6 but were 5-5 in the regular season. Have the Purples EVER finished below .500 in the regular season? I'm sure they have, but wondering how far back you have to go to find it?
  14. First time visitors to Central will need to be sure to enjoy the band and cheerleaders/dance team for the Yellowjackets. It’s a good time and with the price of admission.
  15. Yes sir! Dave’s parents are wonderful people.
  16. Dave was a really good friend to me. He was here at BGP from the very very beginning stages and I think an integral part of the growth and success. Hard to explain to people who wasn't around then how much fun it was to come to BGP and have real discussions. I miss him and it is hard to believe it has been 11.5 years. That does not seem possible.
  17. Yeah he has been there 2 or 3 years now. Boy, he was a special local talent and I am glad to see him doing well in the coaching world. Good memories.
  18. Can’t let this one die without sharing this pic. Belfry’s cheerleaders/spirit team/support staff deserves a shoutout for the work they do creating team banners every week. One of the things I love about our small-school community and the support that sometimes goes unnoticed. And this is just one of the things they do for the team.
  19. I'm still not adjusted to the idea of being in 2A. Every week I click the 3A rankings thread first and for a brief moment I’m looking for my Pirates ?
  20. And for comparison, Mayfield to Belfry is 423 miles.
  21. Flashbacks of the drive to Union Co last November.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.