Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

KCumbria

10 Post Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by KCumbria

  1. What's wrong with running a "basic" offense? Well for this team it meant that they "basically" struggled to beat lesser quality opponents. As far as Coach Elkus having a "black mark" on his career, coaches get fired everyday. It's part of the coaching profession. He's a great person and teacher. I don't think he'll lose any sleep over his termination. He'll survive.
  2. I don't believe that is entirely accurate. While it’s true that Dixie's point guard, M. Malone, was out all year due to a knee injury, and it's also true that there were a "few" parents who were not happy with the playing time their daughters received or did not receive, I believe the biggest problem with the program was that they did not get pushed hard enough. IMO, Dixie was poorly conditioned and it showed as the season progressed. By the time the 4th quarter rolled around in January and February, Dixie was spent! I also believe that the Assistant Varsity Coach, who I believe teaches at Turkeyfoot, didn’t have enough experience to warrant coaching at the varsity level. Before he arrived at Dixie, he struggled at the 7th and 8th grade levels. They also ran a basic offense and exhibited poor BB fundamentals.
  3. Coach Elkus is a great person. However, it was time for a change. I agree that it was a good move by the administration. It needs to bring someone into the school that will generate some interest and passion in the program.
  4. If I am not mistaken, excluding the graduating seniors, the make-up of the current team is 1 8th grader; 6 freshman; 5 sophomores; 4-5 Juniors.
  5. Yep, I heard that the entire coaching staff was terminated. Elkus & Hardin. The JV coach had already retired at the end of the season. I'm not sure about the Freshman coach. Not unexpected, especially with a new AD. Good individuals. I wish them well
  6. Like open enrollment ever really benefted Dixie!
  7. I agree 100%! However, as I said on another post about the NCC v Dixie white washing, Dixie's administration has to do a better job of hiring competent coaches. It needs to get away from the "any warm body will do" mentality. The freshman coach is a perfect example. If I am not mistaken, she played at Dixie and she coached at River Ridge and at Turkeyfoot for a few years. She's really nice young lady, but honestly, I don't think that she has the experience, skill or knowledge to coach at the high school level. She's more a friend to the players than a coach. Her coaching style will come back to haunt some of the players in a few years. Dixie needs to attempt to think out of the box and try to find coaches who can change the culture of mediocrity.
  8. Coach Elkus is a great guy. It's my understanding that Dixie's JV coach Brown is stepping down due to family obligations. Good luck to him. I hope that the administration does not promote the freshman coach to JV. She's nice person, but very limited in her knowledge and skills. A hiring like that could set this program back further than it already is. Look outside the box, please! Someone like former boys coaches like C. Schreiber or C. Smith would be a start!
  9. I know a few really talented players that probably will not return next season. It's ashame, but they're tired of the uphill battle. Dixie's problems really start at the middle school level, especially Turkeyfoot, and with the Freshman team. It seems that the administration's policy is that any warm body will do as a coach. What's really noticeable to alot of people is that with the exception of a few players, Dixie's players are not very well conditoned. Oh well, 2 more games left-Boone County and Beechwood.
  10. Unfortunately, she's not the only player who has expressed dissatisfaction with the program. It's really unfortunate and sad. Now don't get me wrong, NCC has a fabulous team, but there is no excuse for a school that is 3x the size of NCC to get beat by 50 points!
  11. Pitiful display of basketball by Dixie. Horrible fundamentals. Even had Meredith played, NCC would have still beat Dixie by at least 35 to 40 points. IMO, the score could have been much worse. Fortunately, Coach Dawn called off the dogs in the 3rd quarter. NCC is really good. I'm pulling for them in the District and Regional tournaments.
  12. It would be a great job to have if you can tolerate the boosters! Sounds like a coup took place in Dry Ridge!
  13. I know the young man and his father, and I have conversed with him. I'd take Towles in a heart beat based on his potential talent and "character." Pike may be talented, but......... Unfortunately for him, his coaches, AD and principal have refused to deal with certain "issues" that would be problems for any other athlete at Dixie or any other school. I just hope that those problems and the lack of institutional control by the powers that be at Dixie don't come back and haunt the young man in the future!
  14. He would definitely add a some "personality" to the Mid-South Conference!
  15. Why don't you ask Julian? I'm sure that he lurks around on this discussion board from time to time. As far as the possibility any conflict, if the boss said that that there wasn't a conflict, well.... that's pretty much the end of that discussion!
  16. I too know them all. They're all good and expereinced officials. I have also had the opportunity to watch each of them work this season. I agree with Govnah that they are all very deserving!
  17. I appreciate your comments about officiating, but your comments about not making an "illegal" formation "legal" in order to prevent calling a penalty is way off base. If you know that a player is supposed to be on the line of scrimmage-put in on the LOS; If you know that a player is supposed to be off of the line of scrimmage-put him off. There is no such thing as "no mans land." Don't automatically call a penalty. Talk to the player(s) or coaches. Now, if a player continues to defy your instructions/recommendations, or he ignores you, you may have no other choice but to call a penalty. Preventative officiating before the play or, better yet, before the game, is the best policy. finally, we instruct our oficials that you never, never, ever tell a player during a play to either scoot up or scoot back. Swallow your whistle & communicate. Otherwise, you could call a foul on every play.
  18. That is not entirely accurate! Don't believe everything you hear from and "old time" ref. The 5 NKOA offficials that were chosen by KHSAA Commissioner, are all very good officials. They were recommended by the Assigning Secretary from Northern Ky. The Commisioner did not have to accept the recommendations. The officials were chosen based on coaches' ratings, on the field performance, game evaluations, meeting attendance, NFHS/KHSAA test results, clinic attendance, and involvement in the organization. I have, and would officiate any game, at any level, with any of the officials who are representing the NKOA in Bowling Green this weekend. However, the KHSAA does have a policy about how and when an official can officiate in the State Championships. I guess that it wants to spread the wealth so to speak. Nonetheless, the NKOA officials that re working this weekend are some of the best the NKOA has to offer.
  19. A rule of thumb for wing officials: Don't nit-pick the wideouts. Make the formation legal, if you can. At the very least, talk the the wideout after the play. A little communication is warranted.
  20. There is no such foul as "Illegal Procedure" in the rule book. There hasn't been for several years. It's either a false start or an illegal formation. Both fouls have the same signal.
  21. What about Steve Hensley, formerly of Ludlow and Taylor? Isn't he the new AD at CC?
  22. Dixie's problems start at the top! Spritzky's antics toward the end of the game is par for the course for him especially when he's losing. IMO, he's an embarassment to the school. I truly believe that he would have won more games in his career had he paid more attention to his team and his game plan rather than what the officials called or didn't call. I know for a fact that there are numerous officials that will not work Dixie football games at any level because of the constant abuse they get from the coaches. Except for Todd Newton, all the coaches need to be removed! He's the only one that acts professional. I feel sorry for the kids. They need a coach who will teach and lead. Can you imagine what would have happended if Pike or any other had acted that way during a game with Coach Mueller, Charlie Coleman, or Bob Schneider?:madman:
  23. Pike is his own worst enemy. It was only a matter of time before he got ejected.
  24. The tradition of winning at Highlands vs. well,....... Dixie. What more can you say? The Birds by 27

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.