Villa Madonna 50 Dixie 43

From NKY.com:

Villa Madonna 50, Dixie Heights 43

Villa Madonna - Stoll 4 3 13, Miller 2 4 8, Hengge 0 1 1, N. Hennard 1 0 2, A. Hennard 2 1 7, Dumaine 5 2 16, Case 1 1 3. Totals: 14 12 50.

Dixie (12-15) - Margolen 1 0 2, Eiben 6 2 15, Sparkman 0 2 2, Strong 3 7 13, Hartfiel 0 1 1, Elkus 3 4 10. Totals: 13 16 43.

[chart]

|Villa Madonna|8|13|20|10| -50|

|Dixie|14|8|7|14| -43|

[end chart]

3-pointers: V 8 (Stoll 2, A. Hennard 2, Dumaine 4); D 1 (Eiben).

Note: Villa Madonna advances to play St. Henry Thursday at 7:30 p.m. at Dixie Heights.

Villa moves onto the district finals and into the regionals for the second year in a row.

Hartfiel with 1 point ? She get hurt or did they just shut her down. Too good a player to tally just 1.

I'm thinking the same thing. I haven't seen Villa play this year, but I'm assuming they still play a lot of zone. I would think that would work to Hartfiel's advantage.

I heard they ran a box and chaser on her all night. Someone did a very good job guarding her. Surprised a school as big as Dixie, does not have another "go to girl".

Dixie needs to take a good hard look at their program. A school this size should be better.

Dixie needs to take a good hard look at their program. A school this size should be better.

Agree completely. They can start by improving on their schedule. The only way to continue to improve your team is to play tough teams week in and week out. They are not laone in that respect. There are a number of teams who play a pretty cushy schedule.

Agree completely. They can start by improving on their schedule. The only way to continue to improve your team is to play tough teams week in and week out. They are not laone in that respect. There are a number of teams who play a pretty cushy schedule.

At this point a tough schedule will do nothing but kill any confidence that these girls have. Just think they played NCC the other night and only scored 12 points, how could playing tougher teams at this point help?

At this point a tough schedule will do nothing but kill any confidence that these girls have. Just think they played NCC the other night and only scored 12 points, how could playing tougher teams at this point help?
They need the players who can compete, as well. They had a pre- Christmas schedule that did nothing more than give their young ladies a false sense of hope. When Coach Oliverio took over at Ryle they were loaded with "Cupcakes" on their schedule. Once these contracts ran out she started scheduling tougher teams in tougher venues. They continue to play away from home until late in the season and it has helped build a more confident team who can handle adversity and unfriendly enviorments. I'm just trying to give a few suggestions. I remember the Jackie Bearden days of Dixie girls basketball when my younger brothers were in school there. I'd like to see them get back to one of the elite programs.

They need the players who can compete, as well. They had a pre- Christmas schedule that did nothing more than give their young ladies a false sense of hope. When Coach Oliverio took over at Ryle they were loaded with "Cupcakes" on their schedule. Once these contracts ran out she started scheduling tougher teams in tougher venues. They continue to play away from home until late in the season and it has helped build a more confident team who can handle adversity and unfriendly enviorments. I'm just trying to give a few suggestions. I remember the Jackie Bearden days of Dixie girls basketball when my younger brothers were in school there. I'd like to see them get back to one of the elite programs.

I agree if you can legitimately compete against these teams but Dixie is no where near competing with any top 20 team, so there is no reason to put them on the schedule.

I agree if you can legitimately compete against these teams but Dixie is no where near competing with any top 20 team, so there is no reason to put them on the schedule.

I totally agree. Playing a tough schedule only makes you better if you have the natural talent to get better. If not it will only demoralize your kids. Nothing good comes from getting beat by 30, 40, and 50 points. when you lose that often, by that much it will only make kids give up. kids will quit coming out for the team and the program will fade into obscurity. They need to take small steps building confidence and the program. Go to the better athletes in the shool and get them to come out for the team. Its a big school they have to have some ball players there.

I agree 100%! However, as I said on another post about the NCC v Dixie white washing, Dixie's administration has to do a better job of hiring competent coaches. It needs to get away from the "any warm body will do" mentality. The freshman coach is a perfect example. If I am not mistaken, she played at Dixie and she coached at River Ridge and at Turkeyfoot for a few years. She's really nice young lady, but honestly, I don't think that she has the experience, skill or knowledge to coach at the high school level. She's more a friend to the players than a coach. Her coaching style will come back to haunt some of the players in a few years. Dixie needs to attempt to think out of the box and try to find coaches who can change the culture of mediocrity.