Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Comments on Playoff Officials

Featured Replies

I am not bashing any official and the job they do. I have the utmost respect for the job they do and the conditions they work under. Over my lifetime as a player, coach, and spectator I have never, and will never, yell at an official, ref, or umpire for making what might be bad call. I might ask a question or two to inquire what they saw, but I also understand they are trying to do their best. There are times I might wonder if they are really qualified, but hey life goes on.

 

That being said, the officals in the NewCath Corbin game were borderline clueless at times. Calling time on the field disrupting the flow of the game and allowing what was clearly illegal substitutions and allowing time to run off the clock on 3 consecutive dead ball penalties.

 

Your comments please........

  • Replies 55
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author

Your comments please......... on this game if you were there, as well as any of the playoff games you have seen this playoff season since we are seeing crews from different parts of the state.

Chop block on the Highlands defense last night to negate a fumble recovery. In all my years following HS football had never seen a chop block called on the defense. Not saying it can't happen but I have only seen it called on the offense.

Some teams cut the lead blocker it is hard to see and because of this you dont see it called much, however it is illegal.

Can a WR be "offside" before the ball is snapped?

Officials will always do their best. As weird as it may sound, in a game like football, I think a lot of calls would be easier to make if an official had a seat in stands overlooking the plays. When the officials are so close, it is easy to be blocked from certain things going on. I trust that all officials are doing their best and while we do not see "perfect calls" all the time, we do see their best effert.

Can a WR be "offside" before the ball is snapped?

 

In those two situations, the WR as he always does asked the ref if he was okay prior to the ball being snapped. The ref told him he was lined up offside, so he moved back a step and asked the ref again. At that point the ref did not answer him, he threw the flag because after moving back the second time, he was still lined up offside and had asked the ref to many times. The ball was never snapped. Not to mention that it was a mud field with no hash marks. Awesome call in a state semi-final game!

I believe the correct term is block below the waist. I am not going into the whole free block zone rules but you can not cut a lead blocker. We get it called in our favor a few times a year because teams attempt to cut our lead blockers.

 

A WR can line up offsides. I would have a hard time with an official stating the player asked "too many times". The side judge should have a foot forward marking the LOS. Also your face mask just has to break the belt of the center to be lined up on side. It should be easy for a WR to determine if he is on or off the LOS. A WR that lines up off sides is either trying to crowd the LOS for all its worth in which he needs to be smarter or is just being careless.

How do they determine and select refs for playoff games? We went to the Highlands seimi-final game and the refs seemed to be calling the game terribly one sided and made some bad calls. Where were these refs from?:confused:

If I remember correctly a friend who is an official said that the crews who are working the state finals have already been chosen and actually worked games last week as a unit, and took this (semi-finals) week off. I can't recall exactly how they were chosen but I assume they were nominated by their respective local officals organizations and then maybe finally selected by KHSAA---????

I am not bashing any official and the job they do. I have the utmost respect for the job they do and the conditions they work under. Over my lifetime as a player, coach, and spectator I have never, and will never, yell at an official, ref, or umpire for making what might be bad call. I might ask a question or two to inquire what they saw, but I also understand they are trying to do their best. There are times I might wonder if they are really qualified, but hey life goes on.

 

That being said, the officals in the NewCath Corbin game were borderline clueless at times. Calling time on the field disrupting the flow of the game and allowing what was clearly illegal substitutions and allowing time to run off the clock on 3 consecutive dead ball penalties.

 

Your comments please........

You sure about that?

 

Officials will always do their best. As weird as it may sound, in a game like football, I think a lot of calls would be easier to make if an official had a seat in stands overlooking the plays. When the officials are so close, it is easy to be blocked from certain things going on. I trust that all officials are doing their best and while we do not see "perfect calls" all the time, we do see their best effert.

Or maybe they see the play correctly and you and the rest of the fans that weren't even looking at what was called are wrong. I would guess that when the fans think the officals got it wrong, the fans are right about 2% of the time. 99% of fans follow the ball and don't even see what has been called much less see it better than the ref that called it who was 10 ft away.

Chop block on the Highlands defense last night to negate a fumble recovery. In all my years following HS football had never seen a chop block called on the defense. Not saying it can't happen but I have only seen it called on the offense.

 

Trinity had a chop block against a St. X offensive play last year in the 6A championship game last year. It was gainst a DB hiting a blocker very low on a tight end screen. Seldom called but in this instance it was dangerous, out in the open, and the right call.

I am not bashing any official and the job they do. I have the utmost respect for the job they do and the conditions they work under. Over my lifetime as a player, coach, and spectator I have never, and will never, yell at an official, ref, or umpire for making what might be bad call. I might ask a question or two to inquire what they saw, but I also understand they are trying to do their best. There are times I might wonder if they are really qualified, but hey life goes on.

 

That being said, the officals in the NewCath Corbin game were borderline clueless at times. Calling time on the field disrupting the flow of the game and allowing what was clearly illegal substitutions and allowing time to run off the clock on 3 consecutive dead ball penalties.

 

Your comments please........

 

They had a bad night. During one sequence, they called 4 consecutive penalties without a snap. The official on New Cath's side would call Corbin for defensive offsides(Corbin's DL slide from gap to gap before the snap which seemed to confuse this official)and then the official on Corbin's side would call procedure on New Cath, then they went back and forth again. They also called two very bad pass interference calls on Corbin that led to the 2nd and 3rd TD's, the last with about a minute to go in the half. I would like for them to review the tape and explain those calls, doubt that even the NCC coaching staff would have thrown a flag if they were officiating. It was bad for both teams, so I guess it all worked out.

If I remember correctly a friend who is an official said that the crews who are working the state finals have already been chosen and actually worked games last week as a unit, and took this (semi-finals) week off. I can't recall exactly how they were chosen but I assume they were nominated by their respective local officals organizations and then maybe finally selected by KHSAA---????

 

BW actually had the same refs against Mayfield as the week before in Frankfort. Not sure that is the proper thing to happen.

Also, I was informed by an old time ref that the refs from up in NKY going to the state game are not selected on performance. Rather they alternate each year. Guess soccer mentality has seeped into the officiating ranks as well. I know of one from up in NKY that shouldn't even be officiating let alone doing a championship game.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.