Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

HSBallFan78

10 Post Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by HSBallFan78

  1. Is Keyshawn Simpson still out with the broken foot?
  2. I thought Miller had one of the most awesome high school dunks I have seen. It was this year against Tates Creek. Just jumped almost over a TC player and dunked it. I believe there is a YouTube clip with that dunk online. 2nd best was Mason/Waren Central finals in 04. I think the Waren Central player was Dewalt (went to UK on football and then transferred). I agree with an earlier poster, the Gardner kid from Henry Clay has had some awesome dunks. He can really jump. I think he may do track and football also.
  3. Having seen about half the teams play this year, I would rank the top 3 as : UHA Paintsville Rose Hill
  4. I try and sit behind the team benches for most games, because I love to hear what goes on in the huddle and the bantor between the coaches and refs. Not on for the "entertainment value", but you learn a lot about the game, the coaches, and players. A lot of coaches do seem to spend more time harping with the officials than coaching. Some do it much better than others, and I have seen it have an influence on future calls. Having watched High School ball closely for 20 years, it seems to have as much to do with the coaches reputation, tenture, etc. Most new coaches don't seem to get a lot of respect or calls many times. After a coach has been around a while, or been successful, they tend to do better with the officials. Maybe they have gained the respect of the officials, or just the fact that they know they better over time. What is painful to watch is freshmen and JV games officiated. I understand that officials have to start somewhere (just like the players). But I have seen some that don't even understand the basic rules of the game. Travelling, palming, over and back..... I saw one freshman game this year, where the ref didn't even know which line was the baseline. 3 times, he called an out of bounds on the volleyball line (which is 3-4 feet from the baseline). One of the other refs talked to him during a timeout. He still called it again, but at least he caught himself and changed his call. Of course, it could be that the coaches are improving their skills over the years, and with success comes less complaining about the officiating? Yea, I agree with the posters that Alan Feldhaus Jr works them pretty well. But there are many many more. And sometimes I think some coaches don't work the refs enough.
  5. Heard on the radio last night that Sparks from Tates Creek went down with a separated shoulder and possibly an elbow injury. Does anyone have an update on his condition? I hope he is OK. He is a very good ballplayer in the games I have seen him in. Hate to see any of these kids get hurt. Also, didn't Tates Creek loose another player to an ACL last week? Guess it is that time of year when injuries taking their toil. Thanks....
  6. Wish I could have seen the game. GRC is young, so they will be tough next year.
  7. I am just giving you my opinion from the many games I have watched him play, and what I have heard from folks "outside" of Mason County. I don't know him personally, and I am happy if he is a great kid off the court. I respect the kids who not only play sports, but get good grades, and a role model in the community. So if that is Setty, I do respect him for that. I hope he ends up with a great college school to play ball at. And to the other poster who said why worry if MC slept to the 4th period and still beat LC....... I am sorry but I do worry. Just look at last night. Henry Clay without their 2 best players, and Mason didn't get it going until the 3rd. Mason should have been up by 25 at the half instead of down 4. I am afraid, this is going to get them beat in the tournament. Mason has the best chance to win the state since 2003, and I'd hate to see them not make it because they don't play the full 32 minutes. Personally, I think MC, Bryan Station, and LC, are the 3 best teams in the state. I would love to see these 3 make it to Saturday morning on the state tournament. (of course I know that can't happen with 2 teams from the 11th) Throw in UHA or Male, or a cinderella like Adair or Paintsville or Elliot, and it would be a great final four. Would love to see Mack, Miller, Hopson, Stewart, etc... go at it. Hope the state tournament draw works out so these great teams don't have to meet early.
  8. I think Setty pouts and complains all the time. I was at the first LC/MC game. In OT, MC was trying to foul since they were down 10. Setty intentionally fouled a LC guy to send him to the free throw line. Then whined and complained to the ref. Also, in that game, he was holding on to LC players jerseys all night, and only got his first foul in the 4th. But anytime anyone gets close to him, he complains to the refs. O'Hearn took him out early last night, because he was throwing up airballs and making a lot of turnovers. I think he is jealous because Miller and maybe Middleton seem to be getting more attention. I really like Mason County, and most of their players. I love Middleton's hustle, and Millers court skills and attitude. But I am sorry, Setty gets on my nerves for his on court attitude. A lot of other people I know, feel the same way about Setty. Could be a reason he is not getting the recruiting looks by the big boys.
  9. Setty might make a mid-major, but I am not sure why he is not getting much attention. Maybe his body is not strong enough for major D1? Also, not sure if his on court attitude is impacting his recruiting. BTW, his younger brother looks, and acts just like him. Could be twins. Smart from Lex Catholic is going to Vandy as a walk on, first year. Stewart to Air Force. Isn't Sparks from Tates Creek going to VMI? He got hurt last night (separated shoulder).
  10. I am concerned that Mason doesn't seem to have the killer instinct the entire game. I can maybe understand them taking HC lightly since they didn't have their 2 best players. But what about Scott Co or Lexington Catholic#2. In the recent Catholic game, they slept walked until the 4th period. Especially Miller. I would love to see them come out and play with that intensity the entire game. I was disappointed that they didn't go inside to Miller from the start. Without Boyd and Moses HC didn't have anybody tall enough or good enough to stop Miller. They could have dominated from inside start to finish. There was even a couple of times HC had a freshman on Setty underneath who was 8 inches shorter than Setty. And they couldn't get him the ball. Setty got off to a bad start and started his pouting and complaining routine which made it worse. Mason is really good this year and has a chance to win it all. But they are going to have to play with intensity (like Bryan Station) from start to finish every game.
  11. I think it has been at EKU for several years now. I think all regions should be played at a neutral site.
  12. Cov Catholic fans by far. They even travel well.
  13. This game, Henry Clay kept it close for the first half. They were only down 5 a couple minutes into the 3rd. Then Bryan Station went on a 20 to 0 run or something close. I have seen Bryan Station play 4-5 times this year, including their only loss to Mason County. They could run the season out without a loss. Station is much better than I thought they would be. They will have to have a really bad night to get beat. Catholic may have the best chance of beating them. They have as much talent (if not more), and are better coached, and play a different style. If they can force Station to play their game, they may have a chance. Mason is the only team to beat them, and Station lead most of of the first half. Close up until the middle of the 4th from what I remember. Mack is the heart and soul of the team. He makes them so much better. Does so many things that don't show up in stats. I have seen him play since the 7th grade. I was not overly impressed with him until this year. I knew he could be a mid-major D1 player. But watching him this year, I think he should have gotten an offer from a major D1 team. I think he would have helped UK, and would have loved to have gone there. And would have worked his you know what off for BCG. Dangerous team, Station is......
  14. I think Mason pretty easily. Especially with Henry Clay missing their 2 best players.
  15. I spoke with Edmondson's dad earlier this year. He is starting to get more interest from D1 schools. I saw a game of his at the KOB in Louisville late December. Played very well. A lot of college coaches were there, so interest in him is picking up from what I hear. His dad also said he was a 4.0 GPA student.
  16. Again all is case by case. If you have a lot of seniors who start, but also good juniors, why would you "cut" these juniors. They will probably be your varsity starters next year. I think the coach has to be honest with each kid about their situation and prospects. I always respect coaches who sit down with their kids end of each season and be frank with them. If they are not going to play a lot the next year, then tell them. If they want to stay and sit on the bench, then so be it. But at least the coach was honest. I know several coaches who do this, and seems to work well.
  17. What is the status of the kid from Madison Central that had a broken foot. (Keshawn Johnson?) I thought he was supposed to hear this week whether/when he'd be back. Madison really needs him to make a strong 11th region run.
  18. From what I know, I think Henry Clay has a lot of seniors this year. But I also know they have a very good freshman team this year. Probably be tough next year, starting 2-3 sophmores. And a couple of years before they get back strong. It would be nice if a team could have balance across all the classes. Most teams seem to ebb and flow every 3-4 years.
  19. Tates Creek has been a surprise this year, considering 2 freshmen are starting.
  20. Why not do like the 11th (EKU) and have it a neutral site? What about NKU or Morehead? Regardless of who has the biggest gym, it doesn't seem fair that the same team has hosted the regional at their home gym for 39 of the last 40 years. Just my opinion....
  21. I heard they were playing without Aaron Boyd again today (another recruiting visit?). And of course Moses still out with broken foot. So nice win considering they are still without their 2 best players. Unfortunately for HC, they are in a super tough district with Scott Co and Bryan Station. Only 2 can advance to the regional, so they have a tough road to make it again this year. I also saw on sports spectrum that Paintsville beat Anderson pretty badly. I saw Anderson play earlier this year, and thought they were a pretty good team. CJ Penny looks to be a top senior in the state next year.
  22. He has great fundamentals all around. Handles the ball very well for his size/build. He also was the reason I think that LC won the first Mason Game back in December. He came out in the third determined to win the game. I really like his style and determination. Good luck at Air Force......
  23. I agree that Station is very hot right now. And Mack continues to impress me year after year and game after game. I think UK may be sorry they didn't recruit him. He does so many things well that don't even show up in the stats.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.