Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Juniors playing J.V.

Featured Replies

What's your opinion on playing Juniors on the J. V . ?:confused:

  • Replies 67
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All kids develop differently and at different rates and times. As long as it is allowed by rule, I say OK. I have seen some kids make a big improvement between junior and senior years. Also, you might have a senior laden team with all starters. So just depends. I think it is OK.

 

By the way, is there any rule on how many years of varsity you can play in High School? I saw a game this year that had a 7th grader playing varsity. I thought one of the Scott County kids from last year couldn't play because he played varsity too many years. Also, is there some upper age limit? (19)

 

Thanks...

  • Author
All kids develop differently and at different rates and times. As long as it is allowed by rule, I say OK. I have seen some kids make a big improvement between junior and senior years. Also, you might have a senior laden team with all starters. So just depends. I think it is OK.

 

By the way, is there any rule on how many years of varsity you can play in High School? I saw a game this year that had a 7th grader playing varsity. I thought one of the Scott County kids from last year couldn't play because he played varsity too many years. Also, is there some upper age limit? (19)

 

Thanks...[/quote

 

From what I understand ,a boy or girl has 10 semesters of eligibility playing high school sports.

I've never heard of a 10-semester limit. The Scott County kid was ineligible because he repeated the eighth grade.

 

Some of the cross country girls start competing in high school in the sixth grade or lower. You have to be in high school though to play varsity football or soccer.

I think it varies from different sports. But if you are in the 7th grade and you do not play varsity. would that count?

  • Author

A student is eligible from 8th -12th grade for varsity competition--5 years or 10 semesters .Don't know if there's different rules on cross country or not but it does apply to basketball .

  • Author
I think it varies from different sports. But if you are in the 7th grade and you do not play varsity. would that count?

 

No, varsity play activates eligibility.

No different than people holding kids pack to play, More than likely those are the ones playng JV

  • Author
No different than people holding kids pack to play, More than likely those are the ones playng JV

 

Probably!

I'm all for letting kids play anytime and anywhere they can. I've even known a lot of small/inexperienced seniors who probably should have had the chance to play some JV ball.

 

As long as the same age/grade rules apply and are enforced toss it up and let 'em play! :thumb:

At Montgomery Co. juniors who don't start Varsity play on the JV team.

A student is eligible from 8th -12th grade for varsity competition--5 years or 10 semesters .Don't know if there's different rules on cross country or not but it does apply to basketball .

 

If you look at the other thread the elgibility is 9-12 and a student in grades 4-12 if they repeat a year they can't play a varsity sport the year they are retained. Haddix at Scott County was only found inelgible because he repeated 8th grade after he was PROMOTED from 8th grade and his elgibility clock "ran" his repeated 8th grade year.

  • Author

He had a bad advisor!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.