Everything posted by HSBallFan78
-
Hood out for the year?
According to blogs on Catspause, it is a broken hand/wrist and he is out for the year. Hope he makes a full recovery. Definitely and up and coming player on the national scene. Would love to see him at UK. But hear he is a longtime Duke fan. Regardless wishing him a speedy and full recovery. Like Pat Patterson, a tough day for both of them.
-
Franklin Co. 53 Western Hills 51
Closer than I thought it might be. Both will have a tough draw in the 11th region. Congrats to both teams.
-
Clark Stepp
Watched Stepp the last 2 years. Very impressed with his skills and ball IQ. Hope he gets a good Scholly, and we get to see him at the next level.
-
Bryan Station 94 Scott Co. 75
It was fairly close for the first period. Bryan Station missed a lot lot of shots and several free throws early. Scott made a nice run to finish the first and close it to 4. Then as BellAlum said, BS got to hitting their shots in the 2nd. Basically SC lead by about 10-12 points the 2nd half. SC made a little run and had closed it to 9. But Coach Hicks got a technical with 7 seconds to go in the half. Mack made 2 free throws. BS got the ball back, and Mack drained an unbelievable 3 pointer with a hand in his face at the buzzer. Third period, BS had put it away about 4 minutes in. Got up by 20, and that is basically where the margin stayed. Coach Hicks technical killed any chance of SC making a comeback. (guess he has a couple of loose screws!) That 5 point turn around at the end of the 2nd was a killer for the SC kids. If BS can play like this for 7 more games, they will be state champs. To me BS is as good this year, as SC was last year. They are quick, strong, and relentless. They can drive it inside or hit threes with reckless abandon. Miss a shot or make a turnover, and they are pushing the ball down the court so quick, it makes your head spin. The other teams play back on their heels most of the game. But I also think BS is vulnerable, especially if they have a bad shooting night, considering they are relatively small inside. Mack is one of the best players I have seen in person in a long time. He just does so much. Strong, and fundamentally skilled. He is like an assassin out there. Takes his time, waits for the opening. You may get him to make a turnover or two a game, but he doesn't try to make up for it immediately. He waits until the moment is right. It is hard to believe that UK or UL didn't recruit this kid more. I have seen him play since 7th grade. I always thought he was a good mid-major college prospect. But this year, he has taken it to another level. Butler got a steal in Mack. He'd get my vote for Mr Basketball this year. Can't wait to next week and watch the 11th region tournament. What a bunch of great teams. Scott County, Bryan Station, Lex Cath, Dunbar, Franklin Co, Madison Central. (I feel for Model and Western Hills). What district winner is going to want to have to play Dunbar or Scott County? Doesn't seem like much of a "benefit" for winning your district. But that is just how good the 11th is. Money says, Bryan Station or Catholic from the 11th. But I think Dunbar and Scott County (and maybe Madison Central) could have a shot, if they get a good draw. It is going to be a fun state tournament run this year.
-
Scott County 75 Henry Clay 62
Sorry BellAlumni40, but I personally have known Coach Brown for some time. Frankly, he is one of the most honest, ethical, people I know. He has his priorities straight when it comes to education, basketball, life and teaching kids how to grow up to be fine adults. He is a strict disciplinarian, who tries to teach kids right from wrong. He does not tolerate anything out of line off the court, regardless of how talented you are on the court. Over the years, I have seen him personally take kids from severely broken homes and mentor them, and work with them. He cares so much about kids; I am ashamed that you would say what you did, just because you evidently happen to be a fan from another school. I have played basketball, my kids have played basketball, and I have been around high school coaches for 30+ years now. Coach Brown and his staff are some of the finest individuals I have ever been around. Yes, he is intense during games, but most coaches are. I mean, do you not think Hicks is pretty intense? How about Feldhaus at Madison central? But next time, you should know a little about a person before you start characterizing them as "have a few screws loose". You owe Coach Brown and his staff an apology.
-
Scott County 75 Henry Clay 62
For those wanting to know what happened, I was at the game on Wednesday night. Gelawns dad and another SC parent sat 3 rows behind the HC bench. They yelled profanities all night at specific HC players, the HC coaches, and their fans. I had several SC friends that sat behind the HC bench. One lady from SC had 2 small children and had to move during the game due to the profanity. She asked Mr Guyn to stop cursing, but he wouldn't. At some point the HC coach asked security to have them moved to another area of the gym. After the game, Gelawns dad got into a shouting match with a mom from HC. Mr Guyn was thought her son had fouled Gelawn hard during the game and was upset. I was standing about 3 feet away and saw the entire incident. It escalated quickly, and several folks stepped in to prevent anything physical. Also, security stepped in and cleared the gym. As adults, we need to set examples for these young men and women on the court. It is the game of basketball. It is supposed to be a sport and entertainment.
-
Scott County 75 Henry Clay 62
BellAlummi40 - who are you referring to that has "a few screws loose"?
-
Clark Stepp
JBS was very good the last 2 years. It was not just Clark Stepp, but they had several other good players (younger Stepp, Cox). Sometimes, your bad night just happens to be at tournament time. I wish they could have made it back.
-
Scott County 75 Henry Clay 62
Guyn is a good athlete, quick, fantastic leaper, short range jumper. But kind of one dimensional player on the court. I heard he was upset he wasn't getting enough playing time at HC. (Although he was starting as a freshman.) All I can say about GeLawn and Henry Clay, is there is a LOT more to the the story than most have heard. (Here's a hint, think Alex Legion and UK.) I am not sure what the issue with Henry Clay is under Brown. Both of his 2 years, they have lost their best player to injury. But I have heard him on the radio saying that is not an excuse. Maybe it was a coaching change, that the players/coaches never adjusted to each other? This senior group were freshmen when Henry Clay last made the sweet 16. I think Moses, Boyd, and maybe Nichols played varsity that year. Maybe they felt they had already achieved something, I don't know. After they redistricted the 11th/8th, Scott has beat HC 3 straight years in district. I think he has a couple of more years before any pressure is really on him. They will be very young next year and rebuilding. My the time their freshman team is junior/senior, they should be right back at the top. Scott may be down next year, but not by much. Phares is going to be candidate for Mr Basketball. Bryan Station will be down, so that will be Henry Clays best chance to get out of district. I agree with the above poster about Lexington Middle School development. It is horrible. They only play about 13 games over 2 months. Nothing else before middle school. Scott and Mason's kids play together in school or AAU from the time they are 8-10 years old. So by the time they hit high school, they already know each other and how to play together. It takes the Lexington kids 2 years of high school to even catch up. There has been a lot of raw talent in Lexington over the years, that was never fully developed.
-
Scott County 75 Henry Clay 62
Yes, Henry Clay is the third wheel again in the district. Very good game. It was within a couple of points either way until about 3 minutes to go. I think it was tied after each of the first 3 periods. With about 3 to go, Scott went on a little run. Henry Clay couldn't answer. Final score not indicative at all of how good or close the game was. If Moses had been with them all year, they probably would have won 5-6 more games, and beaten Scott tonight. This was his 2nd game back I think, and played well, but missed some easy shots. Henry Clay looses 8 seniors and all their starters. So they will be rebuilding next year. I have seen their freshmen and JV teams this year. Both very good. I think each only lost about 3 games this year. Their freshman team is one of the best in the state, and have some players to watch. The Wilder kid is a freshman, and played a lot of varsity this season. Great basketball IQ and good outside shot, hustles all the time. I think he and a couple of others (Prince Stewarts little brother, and a kid named Hindo) all started for their freshman team last year as 8th graders. A Johnson kid is a sophmore or junior and has a great outside shot. Barnes kid will be their big man next year. Has some pretty good moves around the basket. Fortunately (for Henry Clay), Bryan station loses Mack, Burdette, and Combs. Mack is the key to that team the last 2-3 years. Scott also loses 3-4 good seniors, but they have Phares back, and always have a loaded pipeline. They have a true 8th grader that played varsity this year(cant remember his name), but will be a player to watch. The 11th region is just flat out the best from top to bottom. Station, Scott, Catholic, Madison Central, Dunbar, Henry Clay, LCA, and Tates Creek. Even Franklin County is strong enough to beat a lot of teams in the state. Even Lafayette started to come on late. A shame only one of those will get to state. I think Madison Central and Dunbar could be the sleepers in the 11th this year. But this is what makes the sweet 16 one of the best in the country. When you get a first round like Henry Clay and Scott. And then some of the early district matchups in Louisville, you have a special event top to bottom. I love this time of the year.
-
St. Pat's Chris Owens Reaches the 2,000 Point Mark
Yep, should be seeded. Congrats to Owens and Miller on the 2000 club.
-
Dunbar 70 Tates Creek 53
Sorry, I don't have the exact final score. But I think it was 70-53 Dunbar. Dunbar is good. Could be a sleeper in the 11th. Tates Creek looses a couple of good seniors in Sparks and Spalding. But have some great young freshmen in Fucci and Barksdale.
-
Mason Co. 94 St. Pat 53
Cool with two reaching 2000 same game.
-
Sweet Sixteen Tickets
I got tickets for the final 3 sessions (Fri Eve, Sat AM, and Finals). Most of mine were in 24XX. These are on the end and the very top of the section. Usually the school/students set at different ends of the floor. So if you are like me, up in XX, you should be fine. I have set in these sections for many state tournaments, and no issues.
-
Sweet Sixteen Tickets
You can use Ticketmaster. Lower arena is $16 dollars per seat per session I believe. Plus some additional fees. Right now you can still get some pretty good lower arena seats. Better get them in the next week or so. After the regionals, Upper Arena will be all that is left probably.
-
LCA 75 Lafayette 61
Next up Lex Cath.
-
LCA/Lafayette Updates
LCA is up 14-7 a few minutes to go in the 2nd.
-
Mr. Basketball
I have seen them all multiple times. It would be a close pick, but here are my top 3.. 1. Hopson 2. Mack 3. Miller
-
Scott County 83 Madison Central 77(OT)
Also... I know MC is rated in the top 20 now, but they could be the sleeper/spoiler again in the 11th.
-
Scott County 83 Madison Central 77(OT)
Phares and Hood will be the top 2 seniors in the state next year IMO. Phares is getting scary better the last few weeks. Great game tonight vs MC. And he had around 40 a couple of weeks ago against Henry Clay I think.
-
Scotty Hopson
Seen them all play multiple times. I would have to give the edge to Hopson as of today. He has gotten so much better the last 2 years. He is blowing up big time on the national stage. If he holds out on his recruiting committment, we could be in for another Patterson saga. Miller is very very good. And I can't wait to see him playing for Big Blue next year. I think he will rise to the challenge and be a great college player. But he doesn't always play with intensity at the high school level. Maybe it's due to the competition, and he will step it up big time at UK. I hope so, we sure do need him. Hopson will only be in college 1-2 years before moving on to the NBA. I think Miller will need all 4 at UK to get to the next level. And I think he will. I know I will get bashed as this board is heavily NKY and especially Mason County oriented. But if I could only pick one, I would have to probably go with Hopson. But isn't it great, having 2-3 top tier players in KY this year. It is a win for all of us.
-
McDonalds All-American Team Rosters
I do think it will get Hopson some votes for Mr Basketball. He just gets better day by day. Miller is very very good and has a lot of potential. I just haven't seen the same amount of improvement from Miller as I have from Hopson. But Hopson will have a tough time winning Mr Basketball. But isn't it great to have 3 superb players in Miller, Mack, and Hopson? Good junior class next year with Hood, Phares, Bellau and others. Good all around talent in KY again.
-
Front Runner for Mr. Basketball Right Now
It depends on the criteria for Mr Basketball. Is it the best player now? The player with the most upside potential. The player who is most valuable to their team? I have seen Miller, Mack, and Hopson play multiple times over the last 2 years. It's close. But if I were voting today, I would give Mack my vote. Not only are his stats great, but he does some much else. Without him, Bryan Station would have lost 7-8 games this year. With him, they could win the state. I think Miller and Hopson are both great and have the most upside potential. Earlier this season, I would have picked Miller over Hopson. But Scotty just keeps getting better and better each game. I think he could be in the NBA in 2-3 years. I think Miller is 4 years at UK. In the end, I think Miller will win it. He gets more exposure and signing with UK will get him some votes. There is also some negativity about UHA out there, so that plays against Hopson winnning if it becomes a popularity contest. Regardless of who wins, I am just ecstatic that KY has some much talent this year. And the Junior Class is looking good also. Win win all around.
-
Henry Clay 80 Boone Co. 73
Boone County is a very good team, and young. They'll be a top 10 team next year.
-
Bryan Station/Mason Co. Predictions
Should be a great one. I saw them both open the season against each other in December in Lexington. Bryan station lead most of the first half. Depends on which Bryan Station team shows up. Will probably be close. Even though at Mason, I might give the edge to Bryan Station even though at Mason.