Covington Catholic 9 Boone County 4

The Good: Outstanding game by CovCath both on the mound, in the field and at the plate. Maile and Hellmann on the hump, Reese, Lankheit, Best and Severson at the plate, Stein and Schneider in the field and an all around outstanding support by Arnzen, Rolf and Grosser.

The Bad and Ugly: Not this afternoon

Gruber Grill Defensive Star of the game: Bottom of the seventh and Boone has just scored two runs and now has runners on 1st and 3rd with only one out. Schwartz up and hits a rope almost up the middle of the infield but their is a diving Michael Best who picks the ball off in the air for the first out and then doubles up the runner at 1st for a game ending 4-3 DP.

BAWAC Inc. Offensive Star of the game: Reese, Best and Lankheit. The CovCath first three batters. They go a combined 6 hits 10 AB 6 rbi's 5 runs scored.

PeeWee's Place Star of the game: Brady Reese, 1 HR 2 walks HBP 1 single 4 runs scored and 2 rbi's plus 3 PO in center field.

Edited by Theoldguy

CovCath Pitching:

Maile (W 4-0) 63 pitches 4 innings 19 PA 5 hits 2 runs 2 earned runs 1 walk 3 K's (1 looking) and 1HBP

Hellmann (1 sv) 38 pitches 3 innings 14 PA 5 hits 2 runs 2 earned runs 0 walks 2 K's (1 looking) and 2 HBP

CovCath Hitting:

Reese 5 PA 14 runs scored 2 hits HR (325 #2) 2 rbi's 2 walks and 1 Nutini (hbp)

Best 5 PA 1 hit 2 rbi's 2 sac and 1 sf

Lankheit5 PA 3 hits 2 rbi's

Nienaber CR 1 run scored and 1 cs

Severson 4 PA 1 run scored 2 hits 1 rbi 1 K and 1 sb

Schneider 4 PA 2 K's

Arnzen 1 PA and 1 hit

Rolf 3 PA 1 run scored 1 hit 1 rbi and 1 Nutini (hbp)

Grosser 4 PA 1 hit 1 sac 1 walk and reached base via E-9c

Nienaber cr 1 run scored

Schriever 4 PA 1 run scored 1 hit 1 K and reached base via E-5t

Stein 4 PA 2 K's and 1 Nutini (hbp)

39 PA 9 runs scored 11 singles 8 rbi's 1 HR 3 walks 6 K's 3 sac 1 sf 3 Nutini (hbp) 1 sb 1 cs and 2 errors

CovCath improves their record to 11-1 and next plays Beechwood on Wednesday April 20 @ Beechwood 5pm in a all important 35th District Seeding game.

If CCH did this against Teegarden, that impressive. I've been extremely impressed with him pitching and really didn't think anyone up here would be able to put it to him quite like this. CCH is very clearly the #1 team in the 9th right now.

Coop...

Teegarden's pitching line:

87 pitches 5 innings 27 PA 8 singles 1 HR 6 runs 5 earned runs 1 walk 6 K's (1 looking) 1 WP and 2 hbp

Coop...

Teegarden's pitching line:

87 pitches 5 innings 27 PA 8 singles 1 HR 6 runs 5 earned runs 1 walk 6 K's (1 looking) 1 WP and 2 hbp

That's not the Teegarden I've seen. Sounds like CCH had him rattled a bit. His pitch count was pretty high for 5 innings.

That's not the Teegarden I've seen. Sounds like CCH had him rattled a bit. His pitch count was pretty high for 5 innings.

CovCath played smart with the bats in their hands today Coop, as only 7 batters put the ball into play on the first pitch. Two were for singles, two were for outs, two were sac bunts and one was a HBP.

17 1st (17) - 17 2nd (34) - 21 3rd (55) - 11 4th (66) - 21 5th (87)

If CCH did this against Teegarden, that impressive. I've been extremely impressed with him pitching and really didn't think anyone up here would be able to put it to him quite like this. CCH is very clearly the #1 team in the 9th right now.

Well what does that say about Dixie? Dixie beat them with probably either their #1 or #2 on the mound in Severson. Dixie beat them very handly 10-3. If Dixie can figure it out they should be among the favorites to win the 9th also.

Well what does that say about Dixie? Dixie beat them with probably either their #1 or #2 on the mound in Severson. Dixie beat them very handly 10-3. If Dixie can figure it out they should be among the favorites to win the 9th also.

It says that, on that particular day, Dixie was better than CCH. Just like four days ago, when Lloyd was better than Dixie. CCH's overall body of work this season far, far exceeds what Dixie has done, which to date has been fairly unremarkable IMO.

From the NKy.com

By Marc Hardin

Link

CovCath's Brady Reese puts pieces together

Covington Catholic outfielder Brady Reese can be a pitcher's best friend during a baseball game while being a thorn in the side of the enemy. He proved that again Monday while sparking the Colonels to a 9-4 victory at Boone County.

"Brady is all-around good," CovCath pitcher Ben Maile said. "When you're on the mound, what he does out there relaxes you because he can do so many things."

Reese, a junior, was perfect during five plate appearances for the Colonels (11-1), who have won eight in a row. He also made the plays in the field against the Rebels (9-5) to help keep Maile unbeaten.

Maile pitched four innings, allowing five hits and two runs while striking out three with basically one pitch - his fastball. He improved his record to 4-0. He left his ERA at a shade above 1.00

"Ben relies on his fastball and he does better when he's ahead," Reese said. "We wanted to give him the early lead so we could put him in a good spot to get a win."

Reese did his part from the start. He set the tone for the Colonels in the bottom of the first inning with a lead-off home run hit over the right-center-field fence.

For the rest of the article, please use the link above

I really like this team and they're better than I expected them to be. The beauty of baseball is the size and strength is not as big a deal as it is in football and basketball. CCH has no Conner Hempel or Jackson Laumann (both really good players) from a body perspective. They're all skinny and little. Heck, the cleanup batter is 6'1 160. The first baseman looks to be about 5'9 or 5'10 and he looks like he's 14 years old. SS weighs about 140. They're not big boys.

They simply know how to play and they have a lot of pitching.

Fun team.

They hammered Teegarden who looks to be a very good pitcher.

Maile , with the exception of one inning where Boone loaded the bases on a bunt, walk, HBP, was strong. Hellman came in for his first outing of the season and threw well.

My only complaint is that I'd like to see them attempt more steals. I say that fully realizing I'm 700 some odd wins behind Krumps.

Teegarden did not have one of his better days yeaterday, had some control problems with his breaking balls. CCH has a nice club but as stated above on any given day you never know what these kids will do. I still will take Teegarden on the mound any time against anyone. As for the last play of the gme the runner was called out on the double play but he was NOT out, bad call. Not that it matters, just wanted to state the facts. Hope to see these two teams again in the regional tournment as I believe Boone will play better on the mound and in the field. Boone hit the ball well but everything was at a CC fielder, just one of those days, maybe next time. NIce game for CCH good luck the rest of the way (except against Boone).

E- #3 CHASE STANLEY (1), #20 Robert Hiles (1)

2B- #11 DOUG TEEGARDEN (1), #25 JACKSON LAUMANN (1), #30 JUSTIN CARZOLI (1)

HBP- #11 DOUG TEEGARDEN (1), #25 JACKSON LAUMANN (1), #3 CHASE STANLEY (1)

Pitchers IP H R ER BB SO HR

#11 DOUG TEEGARDEN 5.0 7 6 5 1 6 1

#1 Tyler Eglian 1.0 2 1 1 1 0 0

#41 CURTIS CRABTREE 1.0 2 2 2 2 0 0