Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why Were We Wrong About Cam Newton?

Featured Replies

What he has accomplished this season is even more impressive if you consider that due to the lockout he lost out on a lot of time over the summer that he could have been working with coaches to learn the playbook, etc.

 

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

  • Replies 49
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did not think Newton would be this good already. I've long been of the mindset that the NFL is adapting to the spread and spread QBs can have success in this league. How often are Green Bay, New Orleans or New England in the shotgun with 3 and four WRs?

 

I do remember the conversation about spread QBs not being able to play in the NFL. My response has always been that the current spread has not been around that long. You can use guys like Newton, Bradford, Dalton, Tebow, etc. that have played in the spread if you play to their strengths IMO. These guys still need to learn the under center full field read game of the NFL. As far as physical tools, Newton may be the most gifted to play the position. Strong arm, big guy, quick feet, elusive.

 

I think we may look back at this draft and think Newton was the most underrated number 1 pick of all-time.

Take a look at the BGP mock draft and I am pretty sure I picked him with the Bengals first pick and everybody ripped me. Would have been a great pick but I am happy with Dalton though.

I actually (20/20 hindsight on this, mind you) think that RGIII will struggle a lot more than the pundits in the media think he will. One thing that Cam had in his favor is that he was doing his thing against SEC defenses- it is the closest thing you can get to the NFL without playing in the league. RGIII is carving up Big 12 defenses, which is not even close to the SEC, IMO. He will look more like other spread QB's trying to make the transition; and many of those guys have struggled.

 

Fair assessment and you just may be right. I just never thought ability would keep Cam Newton down.

It's so hard to judge college QBs anymore since virtually noone runs the pro style in the NCAA. It's amazing what he's done this year with no OTAs. He looked like absolute garbage against Cincinnati in the pre season and two weeks later he's throwing for over 400 yards. I couldn't believe that run he had last week, 55 yards and he was moving like a Ferrari.

It is truly amazing. We all knew how smart Brohm was and how good of a high school/college ball player he was but he at best will hold a clipboard his whole career. Newton is just a gamer, it's amazing what talent will let you get away with sometimes.

So they made the playoffs?

 

 

Come on, AL. Whether they made the playoffs or not Cam has had arguably one of the top 10 rookie seasons ever in the history of the NFL. If you deny that you may as well just say that you are biased against him because he went to Auburn. And that is fine, I am biased against Tebow the Gator as an FSU fan. It's okay. Just admit it.

So they made the playoffs?

 

When was the last time an Alabama QB came into the league and made this big a splash; Namath?

 

:D

When was the last time an Alabama QB came into the league and made this big a splash; Namath?

 

:D

Ouch!

I think one thing that has helped Cam out is his size. He is a big dude. His athleticism with his size is freakish. He is going to be a lot of fun to watch.

Is this a race thing?

 

 

No. I don't think so.

:lol:

 

(In my Cam Newton third person voice)

 

I do want to give a shout out to PurplePride92 for believing in Cam Newton after his shaky combine. PurplePride92 is quoted as saying...."I would take Cam Newton as the first qb without reservation."

 

Good call, PurplePride92. Good call.

 

 

SSC......the defense rests. You may address the jury with your closing statement.(hint.....keep it simple and just admit you were wrong about Cam.)

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.