Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why Were We Wrong About Cam Newton?

Featured Replies

I am stunned at Cam Newton's success in his rookie season.

 

While some are not there are many who are like me.

 

What were the reasons we used to think that Cam would not be successful?

  • Replies 49
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ability to pick up NFL defenses at the line of scrimmage

I didn't think he was going to be able to sit in the pocket and make the throws he has been all season. Impressive.

  • Author
Ability to pick up NFL defenses at the line of scrimmage

 

Did we say the same about Bradford?

Hell, I didn't think he'd be able to successfully call a play.

I know that the race issue has been mentioned in the past with regards to Newton (in the media, not on this board) and a lot of black QB's- folks worry that they are athletes playing QB and do not know how to read defenses and will run at the first sign of trouble. I do not know how much this played into the media perception or anyone's predictions, but I do think it is interesting to discuss.

 

I also wonder if this phenomenon will play into assessments of RGIII when he comes out.

IMO, RGIII is Cam Newton with known intelligence. Because of that one interview I didn't think Newton would be able to pick up an NFL offense. I never doubted his ability. I think they'll both be successful in the NFL for a long time. I was way wrong on Newton.

 

In my defense, I didn't pay as much attention to him as I have RGIII.

I feel like his accuracy was below average at Auburn. He had a cannon but it seemed like he would bomb them passed open guys a lot. Considering how dominant Auburn was and that he only played one year at that level I was under the impression that he might be overrated due to those circumstances. Then I think that Gruden interview over the offseason where he seemed somewhat clueless about playcalling and recognizing defenses was the icing on the cake. But, that goes to show what I know. He's basically the player people create as themselves in Madden.

Did we say the same about Bradford?

They say the same thing about every spread QB who never went from under center. Old stereotypes die hard

  • Author
They say the same thing about every spread QB who never went from under center. Old stereotypes die hard

 

I'm not sure that's accurate. In reviewing old BGP posts there some saying he was going to be one of the top 5 QBs in the NFL and they were saying this when he was a rookie.

I'm not sure that's accurate. In reviewing old BGP posts there some saying he was going to be one of the top 5 QBs in the NFL and they were saying this when he was a rookie.

 

Not me. I think spread passers come in at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to reading a defense and while dropping back. Call it Andrew Ware, Ty Detmer phobia

What he has accomplished this season is even more impressive if you consider that due to the lockout he lost out on a lot of time over the summer that he could have been working with coaches to learn the playbook, etc.

IMO, RGIII is Cam Newton with known intelligence. Because of that one interview I didn't think Newton would be able to pick up an NFL offense. I never doubted his ability. I think they'll both be successful in the NFL for a long time. I was way wrong on Newton.

 

In my defense, I didn't pay as much attention to him as I have RGIII.

 

I actually (20/20 hindsight on this, mind you) think that RGIII will struggle a lot more than the pundits in the media think he will. One thing that Cam had in his favor is that he was doing his thing against SEC defenses- it is the closest thing you can get to the NFL without playing in the league. RGIII is carving up Big 12 defenses, which is not even close to the SEC, IMO. He will look more like other spread QB's trying to make the transition; and many of those guys have struggled.

Imagine if they had any defense in Carolina- Cam has the Panthers in the top 5 in many offensive categories in the NFL. They would be a potential playoff team with consistent defense.

To be fair how many college spread QB's have been sucessful in the NFL? White or Black?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.