Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why Were We Wrong About Cam Newton?

Featured Replies

He set the record for passing yards by a rookie QB- only rookie to ever throw for 4,000 yards. I would say that is an impact; we could compare his numbers to Greg McElroy's if you would like.

 

:D

Greg was injured, and Greg's dad didn't shop him. He had a great year Cam, but he is still home with you and me watching the games. That will never ever go away. Its about advancing your team as far as they can go and he did that.
  • Replies 49
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that the reason I didn't expect this kind of an impact out of him is the fact that I underestimated his football instincts. I listened to the interview with Jon Gruden where Gruden asked Newton to give him a typical play call in the Auburn huddle with the verbiage that he used and Cam couldn't even come up with one play. I thought he would have a hard time adjusting to the NFL systems and reading defenses. The offense at Auburn was like running a fast break in basketball--it wasn't complicated but it depended so much on speed and creating mismatches. I thought that he'd have a hard time duplicating that in the NFL. Instead, he has shown that he has great awareness and feel for the game. His instincts seem to be great and his athletic ablility was never in doubt. I didn't think he would be a total disaster over the course of his career but I never expected him to be this good this soon.

Greg was injured, and Greg's dad didn't shop him. He had a great year Cam, but he is still home with you and me watching the games. That will never ever go away. Its about advancing your team as far as they can go and he did that.

 

Cam will be home watching the playoffs, but as you said this is a team game so let's discuss what Cam did for his team.

 

The offense was ranked 32 out of 32 last year at the end of the season. This year, they are ranked 4th with one game left to play. Last year, the Panthers averaged 12.2 points per game. This year, they average 25.9. Last year, the team won two games- the team tripled that output this year by winning six games. Seems to me that Cam did a ton for his team.

 

Now if you can only have a successful season in your eyes by making the playoffs, then that is fine. In my mind, Cam has shown quite a bit regardless of his alma mater.

 

:D

Cam will be home watching the playoffs, but as you said this is a team game so let's discuss what Cam did for his team.

 

The offense was ranked 32 out of 32 last year at the end of the season. This year, they are ranked 4th with one game left to play. Last year, the Panthers averaged 12.2 points per game. This year, they average 25.9. Last year, the team won two games- the team tripled that output this year by winning six games. Seems to me that Cam did a ton for his team.

 

Now if you can only have a successful season in your eyes by making the playoffs, then that is fine. In my mind, Cam has shown quite a bit regardless of his alma mater.

 

:D

Nice points and I just don't care for him and the way his stuff went down, one hit wonder for Auburn. But most teams in any level want to advance to the Championships and when they don't a good year maybe but not a great one.

Count me in the group that was suspect if he'd make it in the NFL. Race card is a joke for me. Personally I just don't really know a QB that ran an offense like he did under Mazlahan that translated to the NFL. Ironically we've watched he+Tebow be succesfull as runners. Cam is obviously a better thrower than Tebow but both of those guys have changed the way scouts will look at QB's. I still think the Brees/Rodgers/Brady type of Pro style guys (Luck) will be more highly desired than a guy like RG3 but these two guys have helped RG3 IMO. One big reason I thought Newton would struggle is because the Panthers were BAD! 2 really good RB's, 1 WR an that's it both sides of the ball. Add in that they were coming in with arugably the 2nd+3rd best teams in the NFC plus an up and coming Bucs team preseason + lockout it was a recipie for disaster. I tip my hat. That kid has done way more than I expected this year!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.