Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

MLB Offseason News.

Featured Replies

They already had big question marks ... second base, shortstop and center field. And remember, the Cardinals weren't very good last year until they sent Rasmus packing for short-term pitching help, much of which is gone now.

 

I think the Cardinals are going to have a rough season....Just a hunch. They'll have a great rotation with Carp, Wainwright, Garcia, Lohse, and Westbrook, but not much else. Can Holiday and Berkman carry them? I'm not sure Berk can have another season like this past one, especially without Pujols protecting them in the lineup.

  • Replies 457
  • Views 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
Lot's of players give the home town discount but not to the ture of $30-$50 million. How much less did Wilson take?
If the $100 million figure is right then he took $25M less.
They know that, why?

 

No one really knows that. I was just going off of what they've done in the past when they spend a lot of money. However, I was tacking on an extra year because the new stadium will carry them for an additional year, financially.

  • Author
No one really knows that. I was just going off of what they've done in the past when they spend a lot of money. However, I was tacking on an extra year because the new stadium will carry them for an additional year, financially.
I would say they really only had one fire sale which was under completely different ownership. Loria tried to keep the 2003 team together and made some moves where he spent some money and later had to cut some costs when people didn't show up. BUT, the only really big spending move made was signing Delgado and that turned out to be a rather bad decision which they attempted to remedy via a trade. Now there were some homegrown players that had to be traded away once they got too expensive but I would argue that's a very different scenario and typically the life of a small market team. Hell, I actually liked the Beckett trade (netted Hanley and Anibal) at the time and really like it now. Beckett wanted to be overpaid and the Marlins got back valuable pieces for him rather than overpay him. Now, the Miggy trade stunk all around. They bet wrong and didn't attempt to buy out some arbitration years/free agent years like they should have. Once he became a super duper star he was vastly too expensive and they took back a package that turns out was a total poo poo platter. All in all, the repuation of having a fire sale every few years is undeserved and especially so with the new ownership.
I would say they really only had one fire sale which was under completely different ownership. Loria tried to keep the 2003 team together and made some moves where he spent some money and later had to cut some costs when people didn't show up. BUT, the only really big spending move made was signing Delgado and that turned out to be a rather bad decision which they attempted to remedy via a trade. Now there were some homegrown players that had to be traded away once they got too expensive but I would argue that's a very different scenario and typically the life of a small market team. Hell, I actually liked the Beckett trade (netted Hanley and Anibal) at the time and really like it now. Beckett wanted to be overpaid and the Marlins got back valuable pieces for him rather than overpay him. Now, the Miggy trade stunk all around. They bet wrong and didn't attempt to buy out some arbitration years/free agent years like they should have. Once he became a super duper star he was vastly too expensive and they took back a package that turns out was a total poo poo platter. All in all, the repuation of having a fire sale every few years is undeserved and especially so with the new ownership.

 

Not every few years, just twice. And I'm not blaming ownership. Hell, I wish the Reds would throw everything they have into 2 years to try to win it all. I lack faith in the Miami fan base to continue to show up on a daily basis. Resulting in dropping some contracts.

 

Ownership did a very smart thing with changing their logo at the same time a new stadium is being built. They will maximize revenue this year with a new, presumably full, stadium and all the new gear that they can sell.

 

It would be interesting to see who has the most fluctuation in salary from year to year. Anyone have that flow chart?

  • Author
Not every few years, just twice. And I'm not blaming ownership. Hell, I wish the Reds would throw everything they have into 2 years to try to win it all. I lack faith in the Miami fan base to continue to show up on a daily basis. Resulting in dropping some contracts.

 

Ownership did a very smart thing with changing their logo at the same time a new stadium is being built. They will maximize revenue this year with a new, presumably full, stadium and all the new gear that they can sell.

 

It would be interesting to see who has the most fluctuation in salary from year to year. Anyone have that flow chart?

As I said, I would debate that there is two, but to each their own. I am one for going all-in though, as they say "flags fly forever". From what I read everything about the old place was awful and I have some faith that the fans will show up in a retractable roof park built solely for baseball.

 

Couldn't agree more. Adding to that, even with the success of two WS championships I think trying to create a new culture and atmosphere down there is the best thing to do. I see the stadium being very close to full since ticket sales are going better than FO's projections. This FA spending will only help.

 

I know it's not the Marlins...or at least prior to this year. For the most part they have had a very stable payroll, albeit a very low one. I would be curious to see it though.

If the $100 million figure is right then he took $25M less.
The only thing I saw is where his agent said he could have gotten $100 but nothing that said he was actually offered that.
I think the Cardinals are going to have a rough season....Just a hunch. They'll have a great rotation with Carp, Wainwright, Garcia, Lohse, and Westbrook, but not much else. Can Holiday and Berkman carry them? I'm not sure Berk can have another season like this past one, especially without Pujols protecting them in the lineup.
Pujols was hitting ahead of Holliday and Berkman ... how was he protecting them?
Pujols was hitting ahead of Holliday and Berkman ... how was he protecting them?

 

Well, with Pujols on base quite a bit, they get more to hit than they would if no one was on base.

Protection is largely a myth ... Berkman and Holliday's good seasons are reflective of their abilities, not the fact that Pujols is on base in front of them sometimes.

St. Louis signs Furcal...

 

2 years/14 million.

 

That takes them out of the running for Rollins i'm sure.

Twins just signed Josh Willingham. I think there's probably not a roster spot for Michael Cuddyer now and that makes me sad; Cuddy's played his entire 10-year major league career to this point with Minnesota.

The Red Sox made a couple of moves. They traded Utilityman Jed Lowrie and pitching prospect Kyle Weiland for Houston Astros closer Mark Melancon and then signed Nick Punto to a 2 year deal to replace Lowrie as a utilityman. Earlier in the week they signed backup catcher Kelly Shoppach who they had originally drafted but traded to the Indians. This probably signals the end of Jason Varitek's Red Sox career. I'll miss the captain but he was getting near the end of his career--hopefully he'll end up with the organization as a coach. I suspect Melacon will be used as a setup man and the Sox will continue to pursue Ryan Madson or Andrew Bailey as a closer.

Yu Darvish bid winner should be announced within the next couple of days.

 

Red Sox, Yanks, Jays, Cubs all listed as possible winners.

 

 

Scouts are calling him a much more solid prospect than Dice K saying he has a solid fastball that hit 97 last year and a nice breaking pitch known as the schutto ball.

Darvish should come down between the Rangers and the Jays.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.