Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

MLB Offseason News.

Featured Replies

And? Doesn't change the fact that's it's an unreal about of money.

 

Name some players in the past few years who have taken significantly less to play somewhere. I haven't given it much thought but Cliff Lee comes to mind, maybe.

  • Replies 457
  • Views 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Name some players in the past few years who have taken significantly less to play somewhere. I haven't given it much thought but Cliff Lee comes to mind, maybe.

 

Weaver just did it last year.

What's delusional is to think that most Cubs fans aren't bothered by the '03 playoffs. :sssh:
I'm not ... it's over and done with.

Here's something that HT and Rocket are missing in the Pujols situation. Sure, he has made over $100 million in his career and to him the difference in $150 million and $200 million might not drastically affect his life--he's beyond rich either way. However, this is about wanting to get what he perceives as fair market value. He is part of a union and if he settles for less than he is worth it affects more than just him. If he takes 70% of what he is worth on the open market right now then that sets a precedent that affects free agents of his level and even the journeymen making the veteran's minimum. It becomes hard for a player to argue that he is worth more money when front offices can simply point out that they are making as much as Pujols and he is the best player in the game. Sure, pro athletes are overpaid but unless we all stop watching and attending games to the point that the teams have to cut prices and salary then I don't blame the players for making as much as they can while they can.

Buster_ESPN Buster Olney

Source: Hanley Ramirez's rep asked the Marlins for a restructured deal. MIA upset with this, will now be looking to trade Hanley (more)

 

Not so fast FormerKY

I'm not bent out of shape at all. It's just a weak argument. I don't see how wanting to get the best deal he can makes him greedy? And why should he sign already, just to make us happy?

 

Exactly. He is not holding out and not reporting to spring training. A little more than 24 hours ago, there became a market and teams fighting for the guy and he is suppose to sign now?

Would you take $30k? I know quite a few people that would do your job for $30k?

 

I know some that make less than that! I'm assuming you know what I do?

I wouldn't call Pujols a "diva," but I will say this: he has made a few comments over the years about how special the city of St. Louis and the Cardinals fans are, and now, he may fly the coop over what amounts to a small difference in contact offers.

 

There is nothing wrong with taking whatever you can get, but if Pujols leaves for Miami or somewhere else, he leaves himself open for some criticism over it.

  • Author
Buster_ESPN Buster Olney

Source: Hanley Ramirez's rep asked the Marlins for a restructured deal. MIA upset with this, will now be looking to trade Hanley (more)

 

Not so fast FormerKY

That is not good...

Geesh you guys are taking things way over the top. If you don't think it's greedy to try and get $250 Mil instead of $225 Mil I don't know to tell you. Obviously he is trying to get the best deal and most money doesn't mean it's not being greedy. I'm sure everyone did that at their job at one point in time. It's not about players unions and getting the best deal and being mad he makes more than any of us can dream of. I'm not saying he is a Diva or a bad guy.

I know some that make less than that! I'm assuming you know what I do?

 

It doesn't matter what you do. My point is that you're "greedy" to someone who would do your job for a lot less - just like you think you would do Pujols' job for a lot less.

I'm not saying he should take less money because it's unfair how much he makes compared to the regular person.

 

If that's the measure then we should just cap every salary at about $150k to $300K.

 

The owners love your thinking.

If that's the measure then we should just cap every salary at about $150k to $300K.

 

The owners love your thinking.

 

I said I am NOT saying that.

I'm sure there would be a few teams willing to take Hanley off the Marlins' hands ... I can think of one on the south side of Chicago. I think the baseball people there know him well.

Buster_ESPN Buster Olney

Marlins have big offers out to C.J. Wilson (6 years) and Mark Buehrle (perhaps as many as 4), and will sign whoever says yes first.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.