Highlands

Newport Central Catholic

St. Henry

Holy Cross

Conner

Cooper

Dixe Heights

Thoughts?

I'm aware of an additional player not known about when this was written that will likely impact this region. :D

Who might that be?

Transfer to Boone County from Virginia Beach, VA. Played last year for Princess Anne HS who won the Virginia top school state championship. Was a part time starter on a HS team about as good as any I've seen on film (check them out on UTube for confirmation). Princess Anne was 31-1, was ranked No. 3 in the country by ESPN and had the No. 2 rated recruit in the nation, 6-3 Elizabeth Williams, who is going to Duke.

The young lady is Zuri Hill who is 5-11, athletic, tough, strong as an ox, and has a great attitude. She played with the Kentucky Premier AAU team with Sydney Moss this past weekend and held her own against some very good AAU teams, including the Tennessee Flight who the Premier beat for the first time. Zuri was particularly tough on the boards.

By the way, although I was not at the tournament, reports I got, including from the Premier staff, were that Moss was incredible and hands down the best player there. She had the crowd oohing and aahing and brought the house down with a drive and finger roll over the Flight's biggest player. That led Tom Insell, Flight's coach, to exclaim, for all to hear, "I've never seen a girl do that!"

Add Hill to a front line including Moss, Lydia Nash, and Elizabeth Switzer and Boone County is going to be really, really tough on the boards. Hill also gives Boone another tough defender and her addition will free Moss to play more 3.

If the name sounds familiar I did some internet checking when I found out about Hill and she was a freshman starter at Holmes three years ago. Even had a 15 rebound game that year against Scott. She moved to Virginia when her guardian aunt took an assistant coach's job at Old Dominion. The head coach at OD was released after a long career and the aunt has moved back to Northen Kentucky.

Big addition for Boone County!

Transfer to Boone County from Virginia Beach, VA. Played last year for Princess Anne HS who won the Virginia top school state championship. Was a part time starter on a HS team about as good as any I've seen on film (check them out on UTube for confirmation). Princess Anne was 31-1, was ranked No. 3 in the country by ESPN and had the No. 2 rated recruit in the nation, 6-3 Elizabeth Williams, who is going to Duke.

The young lady is Zuri Hill who is 5-11, athletic, tough, strong as an ox, and has a great attitude. She played with the Kentucky Premier AAU team with Sydney Moss this past weekend and held her own against some very good AAU teams, including the Tennessee Flight who the Premier beat for the first time. Zuri was particularly tough on the boards.

By the way, although I was not at the tournament, reports I got, including from the Premier staff, were that Moss was incredible and hands down the best player there. She had the crowd oohing and aahing and brought the house down with a drive and finger roll over the Flight's biggest player. That led Tom Insell, Flight's coach, to exclaim, for all to hear, "I've never seen a girl do that!"

Add Hill to a front line including Moss, Lydia Nash, and Elizabeth Switzer and Boone County is going to be really, really tough on the boards. Hill also gives Boone another tough defender and her addition will free Moss to play more 3.

If the name sounds familiar I did some internet checking when I found out about Hill and she was a freshman starter at Holmes three years ago. Even had a 15 rebound game that year against Scott. She moved to Virginia when her guardian aunt took an assistant coach's job at Old Dominion. The head coach at OD was released after a long career and the aunt has moved back to Northen Kentucky.

Wow. Thanks for the details WVFrank. Looks like Boone County will be an even tougher team to beat this year with this addition. They may not loose a game in NKY this year if they remain healthy.

Frank, the guardian you refer to is Celese Hill who is one of the two best Holmes players ever and one of the best female players ever in NKY. Here is her bio:

http://www.odusports.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/hill_celeste00.html

Her nephew Austin just finished his college career at Illinois State.

Frank, the guardian you refer to is Celese Hill who is one of the two best Holmes players ever and one of the best female players ever in NKY. Here is her bio:

http://www.odusports.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/hill_celeste00.html

Her nephew Austin just finished his college career at Illinois State.

Thanks Clyde, good stuff! I knew some of that from the research I did but that bio puts it together really well.

I hope she is trying to put her team into some big time tournaments. It would be good for NKY girls basketball.

Boone is having their own tournament just before Christmas. I'm not sure who is playing in that as yet. I think it's a three-day event.

The Lady Rebels will also play in the Gateway Classic in Mt. Sterling after Christmas. That one should be good with four of last year's Sweet Sixteen participants (Clay County, Montgomery County [host], Walton-Verona, and Madison Central) along with Bryan Station, Marshall County, South Oldham, and Boone.

The Toyota Classic at Scott County in January will include the host Scott County, Franklin County, Clay County again, and Boone. The only other "tournament" regular season appearance is at the Duke Valentine Shootout in February, I believe at E-Town. I think that's a one game deal and I'm not sure who the opponent will be.

The best two out of area opponents for Boone County, IMO, are Cincinnati Princeton, with the top rated sophomore in the country (Princeton beat up on Boone pretty soundly last year in their early season match up) and Louisville Sacred Heart although Sacred Heart lost some good seniors. But they are always fundamentally sound and seem to just reload.

I wish the Lady Rebels had match-ups against some of the better out of area teams like, for example, Marion County and Manual, but that isn't in the cards. I think their schedule is plenty tough enough and, if they come together as a team and improve as the season progresses they should be ready come tournament time.

Boone is having their own tournament just before Christmas. I'm not sure who is playing in that as yet. I think it's a three-day event.

Looking forward to that. Hopefully there will be some big name schools. I am really looking forward to watching Boone play this year. If you hear who will be in this tournament please let us know.