July 19, 201115 yr A CBSSports.com baseball writer thinks it's either the Rangers or Reds for Ubaldo.
July 19, 201115 yr Jon Heyman from SI just tweeted: "rivals believe #reds equipped to trade for top reliever and/or Jimenez. Ubaldo package could be: alonso/wood/volquez." I'd make that trade in a millisecond if I were Walt. I don't see the Rocks accepting that though. :idunno: At first glance, that seems like a lot for Jimenez. But Alonso is just trade fodder for the Reds. It's a question of using him to get the best value. Wood ... you hate to let go of a lefty starter but his stuff is underwhelming. I don't see him ever being better than a #3 and more likely a #4 at best. Then you consider Volquez. The control issues are a constant and I hate pitchers that walk batters. Volquez is a year older. With the attractive contract for Jimenez, I think I may pull the trigger on that deal. Jimenez has been lights out over the last month so I am not as worried about a loss of velocity.
July 19, 201115 yr Volquez is still "fresh" off surgery in the grand scheme of things. It's time for him to get it together. That excuse isn't going to cut it much longer...he's two years removed from the surgery.
July 19, 201115 yr It's time for him to get it together. That excuse isn't going to cut it much longer...he's two years removed from the surgery.Not quite. And it's not like he's not able to cut it at this level. He leads the staff in strikeouts, and I'd be leery to send him as part of that package. But that's just one guy's opinion.
July 19, 201115 yr A CBSSports.com baseball writer thinks it's either the Rangers or Reds for Ubaldo.I would go with "neither" ...
July 19, 201115 yr Not quite. And it's not like he's not able to cut it at this level. He leads the staff in strikeouts, and I'd be leery to send him as part of that package. But that's just one guy's opinion. I'm not saying to trade him because right not his value is at an all-time low. But he's had plenty of time to recover from Tommy John. Two years is more than enough. Pitchers are typically back to full strength 18 months or so after the procedure. He's well past that.
July 20, 201115 yr If the Rockies are willing to deal him for Alonso, Wood and Volquez he's not healthy. It's not like he's going to be a free agent soon.
July 20, 201115 yr I'm not saying to trade him because right not his value is at an all-time low. But he's had plenty of time to recover from Tommy John. Two years is more than enough. Pitchers are typically back to full strength 18 months or so after the procedure. He's well past that.Well, he's past that, but it won't be 2 years til a month from now. However, his issue is between his ears IMO. I still am leery of dealing him. He's young, has electric stuff, but is a mental midget. You can't find the first two that often, the third however, is easily found.
July 20, 201115 yr Well, he's past that, but it won't be 2 years til a month from now. However, his issue is between his ears IMO. I still am leery of dealing him. He's young, has electric stuff, but is a mental midget. You can't find the first two that often, the third however, is easily found. We'll compromise. He'll be 2 years in two weeks (He had it done August 3, 2009). His problem is command...that's always been his problem. It was even a problem during his 17 win season. If he can't figure that out, he'll never be successfull on a consistent basis.
July 20, 201115 yr We'll compromise. He'll be 2 years in two weeks (He had it done August 3, 2009). His problem is command...that's always been his problem. It was even a problem during his 17 win season. If he can't figure that out, he'll never be successfull on a consistent basis.If command is his issue, how is it an issue in inning #1, but not in the next 4? I think it's between his ears. If you have command issues, wouldn't it stand to reason that you couldn't find it one inning, lose it the next?
July 20, 201115 yr If command is his issue, how is it an issue in inning #1, but not in the next 4? I think it's between his ears. If you have command issues, wouldn't it stand to reason that you couldn't find it one inning, lose it the next? His ERA is 3.94 in the 2nd inning as well. That is very average. And when he does manage to get to the 6th inning it balloons back up to 12.91 again. Part of it could be explained by hitters not being as patient after the first couple of innings because their team already has a big lead. He actually strikes out more hitters in the first inning than he does in any inning. He has struck out 22 and walked 19 in his 16 first innings pitched. By contrast, in his 3rd innings (where his ERA is 2.87) he has struck out only 10 but walked only 2. So is his stuff really any better the later he goes? It would seem to me that the hitters just swing more often. Is it because he has better stuff then? Maybe, but given that he only allows a batting average of .151 in the third inning and more balls are put in play that inning than any other it is more likely that he has been more lucky than good. The batting average on balls in play usually stays pretty constant. Again, hitters are less likely to work deep into counts with a big lead so they're much more likely to be swinging in the 3rd and 4th against him.
July 20, 201115 yr Buster Olney says the Reds are targeting TB's James Shields and that the Rays scouts have been watching Reds minor-leaguers. I sure hope Shields can hit.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.