July 20, 201115 yr Author Buster Olney says the Reds are targeting TB's James Shields and that the Rays scouts have been watching Reds minor-leaguers. I sure hope Shields can hit. Someone yesterday made mention it would take a package like Alonso/Grandal/Volquez to get Shields... Also being said they are looking at Ludwick, Adams, Chone Figgins, Coco Crisp, and Wandy Rodriquez.
July 20, 201115 yr Buster Olney says the Reds are targeting TB's James Shields and that the Rays scouts have been watching Reds minor-leaguers. I sure hope Shields can hit. The offense is fine. It's actually better than fine.
July 20, 201115 yr According to MLBTradeRumors the Reds would have to include catcher Devin Mesoraco for Jimenez.
July 20, 201115 yr His ERA is 3.94 in the 2nd inning as well. That is very average. And when he does manage to get to the 6th inning it balloons back up to 12.91 again. Part of it could be explained by hitters not being as patient after the first couple of innings because their team already has a big lead. He actually strikes out more hitters in the first inning than he does in any inning. He has struck out 22 and walked 19 in his 16 first innings pitched. By contrast, in his 3rd innings (where his ERA is 2.87) he has struck out only 10 but walked only 2. So is his stuff really any better the later he goes? It would seem to me that the hitters just swing more often. Is it because he has better stuff then? Maybe, but given that he only allows a batting average of .151 in the third inning and more balls are put in play that inning than any other it is more likely that he has been more lucky than good. The batting average on balls in play usually stays pretty constant. Again, hitters are less likely to work deep into counts with a big lead so they're much more likely to be swinging in the 3rd and 4th against him.Great stats. Still seems to me it's a focus issue. Because he strikes out more batters in the first inning means nothing. When it's 7/8/9 you whiff because you didn't have the focus to simply put the ball in play instead of donating free passes, well, your ernie balloons and you put your anemic offense in a hole that they simply seldom get out of. Again, you can quote all the stats you like, just like SSC will say the offense is not a problem according to the numbers, sometimes things just don't pass the look test.
July 20, 201115 yr According to MLBTradeRumors the Reds would have to include catcher Devin Mesoraco for Jimenez.I would veto that one.
July 20, 201115 yr The offense is fine. It's actually better than fine. It looked good the last 2 nights.
July 20, 201115 yr According to MLBTradeRumors the Reds would have to include catcher Devin Mesoraco for Jimenez. No deal.
July 20, 201115 yr I would veto that one. No deal. I probably wouldn't do that either if I was the Reds. But, it seems like a much more realistic price for a frontline starter with THAT contract than what has been thrown around here.
July 20, 201115 yr I probably wouldn't do that either if I was the Reds. But, it seems like a much more realistic price for a frontline starter with THAT contract than what has been thrown around here.You know what? After thinking about it, I suppose it all depends on the real prospect Walt sees in Mesoraco. I haven't read the traderumor. So, with Mesoraco, what would that package be?
July 20, 201115 yr I probably wouldn't do that either if I was the Reds. But, it seems like a much more realistic price for a frontline starter with THAT contract than what has been thrown around here. I agree that would make much more sense.
July 20, 201115 yr You know what? After thinking about it, I suppose it all depends on the real prospect Walt sees in Mesoraco. I haven't read the traderumor. So, with Mesoraco, what would that package be?Doesn't say the full package. Here is all they say: The Tigers, Reds, and Yankees are said to be the "most smitten" clubs. The writers add that the Tigers would have to part with pitching prospect Jacob Turner, the Reds would have to part with catcher Devin Mesoraco, and the Rockies inquired on Jesus Montero and Manny Banuelos of the Yankees.
July 20, 201115 yr Buster Olney says the Reds are targeting TB's James Shields and that the Rays scouts have been watching Reds minor-leaguers. I sure hope Shields can hit. What would they want Shields for unless they can sign him longer term? He is a free agent in 2012 so he would only be a rent.
July 20, 201115 yr What would they want Shields for unless they can sign him longer term? He is a free agent in 2012 so he would only be a rent. He would have a club option... 11:$4.25M, 12:$7M club option ($2M buyout), 13:$9M club option ($1.5M buyout), 14:$12M club option ($1M buyout)
July 20, 201115 yr He would have a club option... 11:$4.25M, 12:$7M club option ($2M buyout), 13:$9M club option ($1.5M buyout), 14:$12M club option ($1M buyout) This may be a silly question, but if you buyout the 2012 option do you also have to buyout the '13 and '14 options?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.