Peanut Butter Allergies in School

Beechwoodfan

The protesters are going overboard! So, basically promoting good hygiene is a bad thing now? It's not like their kid has to go get a shot or anything like that, and even if that was the case, who cares? So the kids have to wash their mouths with water and use clorox wipes, BIG DEAL! The protesters solution is for the kid to stay home, away from school? GREAT! Nice way to treat a child! I have no issue going on an airplane and not having peanuts, I think everyone can live without peanuts or peanut products for a few hours per day. Good thing they don't have a Ryan White going to that school, no telling what they would do then.

As the report stated, these are federal guidelines!

Not Edgewater, but that very situation in Arcadia, Florida tells you all you need to know how they would handle Ryan White. Remember the hemophiliac Ray bothers who contracted Aids from a transfusion?

Most folks allow their cats to run wild. They put them out to run willy-nilly throughout the neighborhoods, spreading their dander, hair, poo, musk and urine everywhere (yeah, I'm allergic to all those). How realistic is it to prevent that?

About as realistic as it is to whitewash peanuts from the world. Some of us just take our medicine and deal with it, rather than force everyone around us to change their ways.

There is nothing to prohibit peanuts "in the wild" or outdoors. The issue to be addressed is when peanuts are in schools or on airplanes, where people can be exposed to it unwillingly. If your friend has a cat, maybe you shouldn't go to his house. There is not really any medication that allows someone with a serious peanut allergy to just "deal with it."

By the way, I've never flown with a cat on board. You?

There is nothing to prohibit peanuts "in the wild" or outdoors. The issue to be addressed is when peanuts are in schools or on airplanes, where people can be exposed to it unwillingly. If your friend has a cat, maybe you shouldn't go to his house. There is not really any medication that allows someone with a serious peanut allergy to just "deal with it."

I've flown twice with a cat on board. One time it was with my Aunt when I helped her move from KY to AZ. We had her cat with us and I actually noticed a girl going through security with hers. The other time was on a vacation out to Vegas we had one on board with us from KC to Vegas.

We had this situation at my elementary school when I was younger. It only lasted for my final year, but continued for my little sister for most of her time there. The school went peanut free, and it honestly didn't bother anyone enough to raise any commotion about it.

I don't fly, if I can at all help it. The last time I flew anywhere was pre-9/11.

To the bolded point, I'm completely fascinated and alternately appalled that there is nothing that can be taken for this. Perhaps if Big Pharma spent less time and money researching and advertising how to aid male rigidity and spent more time and money developing products Americans actually need this problem would've been knocked out years ago (although, to be fair, I never much heard anything about peanut allergies until the past 10-15 years or so).

I don't fly, if I can at all help it. The last time I flew anywhere was pre-9/11.

To the bolded point, I'm completely fascinated and alternately appalled that there is nothing that can be taken for this. Perhaps if Big Pharma spent less time and money researching and advertising how to aid male rigidity and spent more time and money developing products Americans actually need this problem would've been knocked out years ago (although, to be fair, I never much heard anything about peanut allergies until the past 10-15 years or so).

Perhaps. But until a medication comes that can prevent an allergic reaction to peanuts, simple, basic precautionary measures should be taken.

As of now, the only medications that I'm aware of are taken after the reaction starts. Benadryl helps some, and in the most severe cases, you can inject epinephrine (aka Epi Pen).