Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kentucky/Ohio State Predictions

Who do you think wins this game? 76 members have voted

  1. 1. Who do you think wins this game?

    • Kentucky
      52%
      40
    • Ohio State
      47%
      36

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

^I will do my best.

 

Craft vs. Knight - Advantage: Big advantage UK. Watching both play, I'm not buying the Craft hype. He's not quick enough to play with Knight, I don't care what any of you OSU fans say or think. Knight should have no trouble containing him on the offensive side of the ball either. If I'm UK I pressure the heck out of him, and make him turn it over. I've not been impressed with Craft's handle.

 

Lighty vs. Miller - Advantage: OSU. I'll go OSU by a small margin, assuming the good Darius Miller shows up. Both are very versatile verterans, but Lighty is more consistent and always seems to step up in big moments.

 

Dieber vs. Liggins - Advantage: Push. I'm going push on this one due to the fact that they're complete opposite types of players. Diebler is the offensive guy, whereas Deandre may be the best defensive player in the land. If Liggins neutralizes Diebler from the outside, he wins the battle. Deandre isn't going to be a huge factor offensively more than likely, but I think he has a distinct athleticism advantage that he could exploit.

 

Buford vs. Jones - Advantage: Slightly UK. Again, I'm going with the good TJ showing up. He's too versatile even for a guy like Buford IMO. If Buford sticks Jones, I put him on the block and exploit his size and strength advantage. Buford has a quickness and shooting advantage, so TJ needs to really step up his defensive effort. I just think Jones presents more problems for Buford and OSU than vice versa.

 

Sullinger vs. Jorts - Advantage: Major OSU. If Jorts comes to play and puts forth a good effort, I think UK not only can, but will win. However, Sullinger is going to get his points. UK needs Josh on the floor 32+ minutes to have a chance. He needs to make Jared work very hard for everything and has to avoid giving up easy buckets and early/stupid fouls.

 

Bench: Advantage: Push. I say push because Lamb is much better overall than either Thomas or Lauderdale IMO, however OSU has the ability to go 7 deep whereas UK really only plays 6. Lamb hitting some timely 3's could be another crucial factor if UK is to pull off the upset.

 

Coaching: Advantage: Push. Once again a push. Both coaches have really failed to break through with superior talent in the past. Cal has come the closest, being all of about 10 seconds away from a title, but they've both been there and struck out. Don't see a decided advantage either way.

 

Intangibles: Advantage: OSU. One word - Experience.

 

Environment: Advantage: UK. Not only will UK have more of the Big Blue Nation than OSU will have of their fans, but the UNC and Marquette contingencies will both be behind the Cats Friday night. UK doesn't lose at home, and plays very well on neutral floors.

 

Verdict: I think it's going to be a great game, possibly the best game we'll see all tournament long. In the end, if UK is able to neutralize either Sullinger or the 3-point shooting, I like their chances. If not, well, I'm not sure OSU is beatable if they have both aspects working for them. My thoughts: OSU 74 UK 69. Hope I'm wrong.

  • Replies 205
  • Views 22.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm picking Kentucky simply because I want them to win and I want to pick them. Come tournament time, if I think the Cats have a chance, I'm usually picking them.

 

That said, if Ohio State plays, and specifically, if they shoot like they have been lately (like the George Mason game), nobody is beating them.

 

I'm banking that they can't drain 16 of 26 from long range tomorrow night. I think this will be a good game.

 

A few thoughts...

 

The obvious is Harrelson vs. Sullinger. Harrelson has to play well. He has to be able to defend Sullinger and represent on the boards without getting in foul trouble. If either go wrong, it opens the game up for OSU's shooters and/or Sullinger gets to go against Vargas. Neither ends well for UK.

 

In the last game, UK had a terrible 2-3 minute period to end the first half that allowed WVU to push a tie game to a 7-8 point lead (can't remember). UK can't afford to have a stretch like that against OSU where they make two or three quick, stupid mistakes where the opponent makes them pay. The Buckeys could run off 9 points easily in three trips with their shooters.

 

Everybody has to play well. We cannot have a performance like Knight in the opening round. I already mentioned Harrelson. Miller, as always, is a big key for Kentucky. When he plays well, the team usually looks its best.

 

I expect Cal will employ a similar strategy as the second Vanderbilt game where he was committed to stopping the shooters and let Harrelson play one-on-one down low. I think that's what I would do. At least to start and then let the game dictate any adjustments. If the OSU shooters are struggling, perhaps you can risk more double down help. I'd rather see Sullinger get off early than Lighty, Diebler and company.

 

Just my two cents.

Thanks for the comparisons UKMF. I agree completely with all of them except one.

 

Lighty vs. Miller - I give a slight advantage to Miller. While both are excellent perimeter shooters, I think Miller has the better game around the rim. Not sure Lighty will be able to guard Miller in the post.

 

 

Here's my basic comparison:

 

Knight >>> Craft

 

Miller > or = Lighty

 

Liggins = Diebler

 

Jones > Buford

 

Harrellson

 

 

So, at 4 out of the 5 positions, I see either an advantage or a push for UK. We all know how important guard play is in March. This is why I feel good about our chances going into the game.

 

Prediction: UK 74 - OSU 70

I am changing my vote to UK winning now! Just kidding of course. I think Lighty will probably guard Jones and Buford will be on Miller. For what it is worth. I think Craft has earned all the hype that he is getting and is more than capable of guarding Knight. I guess we shall see on Friday!

I picked OSU but I don't pick well, so I hoping that this holds true. The Cats are on a run, doing well and seem to be peaking. I'd like to see Darius get his stroke back. OSU looked really good. Their center might be gone next season , I'd like to see him and Josh go at it, and maybe Josh can get him in foul trouble. OSU is not playing in Ohio, thats a plus, but UK had some issues on the road.

 

Looking forward to the next few days, and good luck to all the teams.

good luck to all the teams.

 

...and may the best Cat win.

Yeah, Bluto and don't foul anyone with the game on the line or don't be stupid. ROLL TIDE! GO BIG BLUE!

I'd rather see Sullinger get off early than Lighty, Diebler and company.

 

Very much agree on this. In their only two losses this year to Wisconsin & Purdue, OSU did not shoot well from beyond the arc (3 & 4 three's made in those games).

I like Ohio St to win this on for several reasons:

 

1. Jared Sullinger will get the UK front line in foul trouble early. With Jorts out and Vargas TRYING to contain him along with Jones, Sully goes off for double digits in the first half to give the Bucks a 5-10 point lead.

 

2. Ohio St outside shooting. UK will only be able to contain the OSU shooters for so long. Jared Sullinger plays a very good two man game out of the post to get shooters open on the wings. Look for Matta to use this a lot tonight. Feed Sully in the post, make a move, have the defense collapse, and kick it out for a wide open 3.

 

3. Ohio St will be the most physically imposing team that UK has seen all year....by a wide margin. Harrelson gets a lot of rebounds and put backs from simply outworking the defender and being in the right place. Sully is very good at boxing out and using his strength which will really bother Harrelson and make him a virtual non factor. With guys like Thomas and Lauderdale coming off the bench, Harrelson and Jones will be frustrated all game. Get in Jones head and he becomes an average player.

 

4. Craft v Knight won't be as one sided as some of you think. Let's not forget this kid ran the show for the most dominant AAU program/team ever and is used to going against the nations best. Craft may not be as athletically gifted and talented as Knight, but he is by far one of the best pg's in the country because of his knowledge of the game and fundamentals. Knight may outscore Craft but Craft will set his teammates up more than Knight.

 

5. Diebler will wear Liggins out as the game progresses. What makes Diebler so good is not his shooting but how much he works his defender by running around and wearing them down to get open shots as the game progresses.

 

6. Lastly, OSU simply is a better TEAM and I think they play much smarter than Uk does. Not saying Cal is a bad coach but there's a reason he was mentioned as one of the most overrated coaches in the Sweet 16. Dude can recruit but when it comes to the X and O aspect, Matta has that advantage all day, everyday.

 

Now, don't think I'm saying this will be a blow out. I personally see this being very close during the first half with UK even possibly leading the majority of it, but in the end the OSU experience will win out just like West Va did last year.

Care to put your avatar where your mouth is Walter?? :lol:

I like Ohio St to win this on for several reasons:

 

1. Jared Sullinger will get the UK front line in foul trouble early. With Jorts out and Vargas TRYING to contain him along with Jones, Sully goes off for double digits in the first half to give the Bucks a 5-10 point lead.

 

2. Ohio St outside shooting. UK will only be able to contain the OSU shooters for so long. Jared Sullinger plays a very good two man game out of the post to get shooters open on the wings. Look for Matta to use this a lot tonight. Feed Sully in the post, make a move, have the defense collapse, and kick it out for a wide open 3.

 

3. Ohio St will be the most physically imposing team that UK has seen all year....by a wide margin. Harrelson gets a lot of rebounds and put backs from simply outworking the defender and being in the right place. Sully is very good at boxing out and using his strength which will really bother Harrelson and make him a virtual non factor. With guys like Thomas and Lauderdale coming off the bench, Harrelson and Jones will be frustrated all game. Get in Jones head and he becomes an average player.

 

4. Craft v Knight won't be as one sided as some of you think. Let's not forget this kid ran the show for the most dominant AAU program/team ever and is used to going against the nations best. Craft may not be as athletically gifted and talented as Knight, but he is by far one of the best pg's in the country because of his knowledge of the game and fundamentals. Knight may outscore Craft but Craft will set his teammates up more than Knight.

 

5. Diebler will wear Liggins out as the game progresses. What makes Diebler so good is not his shooting but how much he works his defender by running around and wearing them down to get open shots as the game progresses.

6. Lastly, OSU simply is a better TEAM and I think they play much smarter than Uk does. Not saying Cal is a bad coach but there's a reason he was mentioned as one of the most overrated coaches in the Sweet 16. Dude can recruit but when it comes to the X and O aspect, Matta has that advantage all day, everyday.

 

Now, don't think I'm saying this will be a blow out. I personally see this being very close during the first half with UK even possibly leading the majority of it, but in the end the OSU experience will win out just like West Va did last year.

 

You make some points, but the bolded is laughable IMO.

This may have been said but not reading a 150 post. My thoughts on the game...

 

Before I start let me know I believe OSU will win. For UK to have a chance they cannot sell out to Sullinger. They have to gaurd him one and one and make him beat you. Jorts has to stay between him and the basket and make Sullinger shot over him. If he hits his shots so be it. They cannot start doubling and leaving shooters wide open. Play straight up, shut down everyone else and they can win.

This may have been said but not reading a 150 post. My thoughts on the game...

 

Before I start let me know I believe OSU will win. For UK to have a chance they cannot sell out to Sullinger. They have to gaurd him one and one and make him beat you. Jorts has to stay between him and the basket and make Sullinger shot over him. If he hits his shots so be it. They cannot start doubling and leaving shooters wide open. Play straight up, shut down everyone else and they can win.

Pretty much the only chance they have at winning. I agree. :thumb:

Care to put your avatar where your mouth is Walter?? :lol:

 

Explain.

You make some points, but the bolded is laughable IMO.

 

I guess we'll find out tonight, sir.

 

Over/Under on how many Diebler gets?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.