Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

UK, Who Stays Who Goes after this season??

Featured Replies

Rebounding and blocking shots isn't all there is to defense. If you think that's it, you must not watch much basketball.

 

The difference is Lamb is only a freshman, while Miller has been there 3 years now, and has shown zero improvement on the defensive side of the ball.

I watch more basketball than three people should, just ask my wife. I agree Miller needs to continue to improve but to say he has shown zero improvment since he was a freshmen tells me you must not watch much basketball.

  • Replies 76
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jones: Obviously gone and should be with his draft potential.

 

Knight: He has dished out some assists the past couple of games, but those are the only signs he has shown in being a PG at the next level. He is a SG playing the point. But with his high basketball IQ, I think he could transition in to that role. 50/50.

 

Lamb: Has no business declaring and if he does we may not ever hear from him again. Someone mentioned in another thread that Lamb is 6"4". I am not seeing it. With his size, he will have to be a PG at the NBA level. Lamb can shoot it and is deceptively strong, but he is an OVC caliber defender. Derrick Rose would put up 75 points on him if need be. Point being, there are a lot of deceptively strong 6'2" guys that can shoot the ball. That is about all he brings to the table.If you cannot guard on the ball in the NBA, you will not play in the NBA. Simple as that. Not to mention he is a terrible ball handler. Bledsoe, who some draw the parallel to, was a big dude and a gifted athlete. Lamb is not that. He has played over his head because he has had to given depth deficiencies. 50/50.

Jones: Obviously gone and should be with his draft potential.

 

Knight: He has dished out some assists the past couple of games, but those are the only signs he has shown in being a PG at the next level. He is a SG playing the point. But with his high basketball IQ, I think he could transition in to that role. 50/50.

 

Lamb: Has no business declaring and if he does we may not ever hear from him again. Someone mentioned in another thread that Lamb is 6"4". I am not seeing it. With his size, he will have to be a PG at the NBA level. Lamb can shoot it and is deceptively strong, but he is an OVC caliber defender. Derrick Rose would put up 75 points on him if need be. Point being, there are a lot of deceptively strong 6'2" guys that can shoot the ball. That is about all he brings to the table.If you cannot guard on the ball in the NBA, you will not play in the NBA. Simple as that. Not to mention he is a terrible ball handler. Bledsoe, who some draw the parallel to, was a big dude and a gifted athlete. Lamb is not that. He has played over his head because he has had to given depth deficiencies. 50/50.

 

I agree with everything you stated...the issue is Lamb, by most accounts, has no desire to be in college for another year. This is what we saw with Meeks and Orton and they both left. I think Lamb and Jones are gone and Knight is 50/50. Hood probably transfers.

I watch more basketball than three people should, just ask my wife. I agree Miller needs to continue to improve but to say he has shown zero improvment since he was a freshmen tells me you must not watch much basketball.

 

He's terrible one on one in man to man, and I'm fairly confident you or I could do a better job fighting through screens than he does. I didn't say he's shown zero improvement since his freshman year, he's gotten quite a bit better offensively. Defensively, he still sucks, just as he did as a freshman.

I keep hearing Lamb wants to go, and that may be true. But everything I see on him says he may not even get drafted, let alone be a first rounder. Draft Express currently has him as #71 NBA prospect and that doesn't even get him drafted.

 

Jones is going to be a lottery pick so he is gone.

 

Knight ... 50/50. He is projected at around #15 by most so if he stays it is because he is following a Patrick Patterson get your degree path.

  • Author

Anyone who thinks the idea of next year's team lacking a true Shooting guard appealing to Brandon Knight, must also consider how appealing that position must be for Lamb. This year Lamb has many times been forced into the role of ball handler and while he isn't horrible at it by any means, its not his chosen role. Next year Lamb could be the Cherry on top the Sundae. Course, so could Knight. In the end, Lamb and Knight have many up sides to staying that could benefit them long term. Still, kids all too often have difficulty seeing the big picture through all the short term benefits people wave in their face (I can fully relate to this idea).

 

Terrence Jones would benefit from staying no doubt. He'd also potentially drop a few draft spots sharing time with Gilchrist and Davis. Gone.

  • Author

Haha, guys, there is no point debating Miller's shortcomings here. Regardless of how many there are, and how glaring they can be at times, he is returning next season. Hopefully with less of his Disappearing Magic Act and more of the energized great in spurts Miller that next year's team will need.

I think one thing that hurts UK's chances of holding on to Knight or even Lamb is how bad the draft will be this year and how good it will be next year. Also, I believe the rookie pay will be lower after this CBA is signed. This year's draft will be under the old CBA.

 

Sorry if this has already been said, I didn't have time to read through everything.

  • Author

Another question to mull. Where does Coach Cal play into this decision?? He was under scutiny after last season when people claimed some players wanted to come back, but were advised otherwise by Cal. Still, at this time I can't imagine him seriously looking at Doron or even Knight maybe, and simply saying Son, you are a lock to a be long and prosperous NBA player, declare for the draft.

Knight would be better served coming back. He is not an NBA point guard and next year he will be moved to his NBA position (SG) while he plays with an NBA point guard (Teague).

Jones is gone. Would be illogical not to leave. Even with a lockout, he'll be drafted high enough to where an agent would probably take care of him until the lockout stuff gets settled. A month ago, I'd have pushed the kid out the door, but he's been playing much better lately.

 

Knight is gone. A lot of people use the "Knight is smart/cerebral/intelligent" argument to say he stays. But in my opinion, that's why he leaves. No way Knight will be a 2-guard in the NBA (at least not drafted that way), and there's no way he's playing point guard next year with the arrival of Teague. His stock as an NBA point guard will never be higher than it will be this summer. As his GPA indicates, Knight can put 2 & 2 together & will bolt for the pros--much to my chagrin.

 

Lamb stays. Reluctantly, Lamb comes back for next season giving UK a returning scoring threat that will be much needed, especially with his outside shot. Teague & Gilchrist are talents, but do not possess the outside shooting ability of Knight & Lamb. Having Lamb back will make the Cats that much more versatile on the offensive end. Will be interesting to see if Trevor Lacey waits for Lamb and/or Knight to make a decision before he pulls the trigger on his college choice. I think Lamb puts his name in, but eventually withdraws it (hopefully by the correct date, unlike Dee Bost).

 

Everyone else not graduating will stay. Lack of playing time for Hood & Poole leads to the transfer-rumor fires getting started, but I think both of them stay. No reason, just a hunch.

 

I think next year's roster looks like this:

 

Teague

Lamb

Gilchrist

Wiltjer

Davis

Miller

Liggins

Hood

Poole

Vargas

Polson

Lacey

Unnamed big-man recruit

Wishful thinking to think any of the 3 freshmen will be back; the allure of the NBA and money is too much to resist.

Lamb either must see something most of us don't or needs the money badly. He's my favorite player on the team and I would hate to see him leave, I think he needs all 4 years to turn into a quality NBA player. He doesn't have great size or athleticism, so he needs a finely tuned game. He is a good shooter but I don't think he's the sharpshooter you need to be a spot-up guy in the league.

 

Jones has been counting his money all season. Knight is probably gone, he could definitely use another year (2 IMO).

 

I hope Poole doesn't give up and leave. Some guys need to season for a year or two. Is Hood upset? If he's not upset I don't see him leaving. Vargas will be here IMO.

 

How great would a lookout be that prevents the draft:

Knight, Teague, Lamb, Poole, Jones, Davis, Gilchrist, Wiltjer, Vargas, Hood, Miller, Liggins. I like that team.

Wishful thinking to think any of the 3 freshmen will be back; the allure of the NBA and money is too much to resist.

 

Not really, Lamb isn't going to be a first round pick.

I think Jones leaves but Knight and Lamb return for one more year.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.