Teacher Had Sexual Relations with High School Football Players

Ram

I think the argument is that this crime is not worth 4 years as compared to other crimes .

I don't know which other crimes it should be compared to. I'm comparing it to similar situations with teachers and students. From my reading of the thread it seems one of the prevailing opinions is that this is a victimless crime or something that isn't very serious, which I do not agree with.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You stated you were "aghast" that double standards are fine. I responded to that showing that a blanket statement cannot be made .

I do not read people's minds - just their words.

No...I stated that I was aghast that the double standards are fine. Clearly I was speaking to the double standards comments made in this thread, about this topic. You surely read the article bolded, correct? Without it, my statement would definitely be open to your attack. However, with it, the meaning is clear.

To your stated point:

In theory you are correct that it's unacceptable.

Reality is that it is somewhat acceptable in some cases.

Then our society is "screwed-up" (maybe not the best word for this thread) and those that accept it are also.

I don't know which other crimes it should be compared to. I'm comparing it to similar situations with teachers and students. From my reading of the thread it seems one of the prevailing opinions is that this is a victimless crime or something that isn't very serious, which I do not agree with.

4 years for this and a lady I read about got 5 years for DUI that resulted in a death.

No comparison.

4 years for this and a lady I read about got 5 years for DUI that resulted in a death.

No comparison.

Agreed on the consequences of the crime, but sentences can vary pretty widely depending on a lot of other factors. Seems like complaints should be directed toward the DUI manslaughter case rather than this one, unless she's getting a more extreme punishment than the law calls for.

No...I stated that I was aghast that the double standards are fine. Clearly I was speaking to the double standards comments made in this thread, about this topic. You surely read the article bolded, correct? Without it, my statement would definitely be open to your attack. However, with it, the meaning is clear.

I read the pluralization as a general statement vs the double standard being used here.

My apologies.