Teacher Had Sexual Relations with High School Football Players

Ram

I get the "implied authority" aspect. I just don't think 17 year old boys look at it as anything other than an opportunity to score. If that's it(and I bet it was here) then I do not think it is abuse.

I can't remotely agree that a 17 year old would consider that "just another opportunity." I don't see this situation as anything other than an adult using their authority and responsibility over a student to procure sex, whether the kid "claims" to be all for it or not.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't remotely agree that a 17 year old would consider that "just another opportunity." I don't see this situation as anything other than an adult using their authority and responsibility over a student to procure sex, whether the kid "claims" to be all for it or not.

You say she used "authority." I say she used "her body." Boys respond to the latter.

You say she used "authority." I say she used "her body." Boys respond to the latter.

I would say they respond to both. I think everyone is also assuming that female teachers are all lingerie models and any guy with a pulse wouldn't hesitate to hop into bed with them, which is also saying that "hot" teachers have carte blanche.

I get the "implied authority" aspect. I just don't think 17 year old boys look at it as anything other than an opportunity to score. If that's it(and I bet it was here) then I do not think it is abuse.

Would you consider it abuse if a 17 yr. old female student had sex with a hot adult male teacher?

I would say they respond to both. I think everyone is also assuming that female teachers are all lingerie models and any guy with a pulse wouldn't hesitate to hop into bed with them, which is also saying that "hot" teachers have carte blanche.

I would argue that you are overestimating the standards used by a 17 yr old.

The problem is that the authority structure implies coercion, whether it was explicitly threatened or not. Despite all the faux-machismo displayed in this thread (or partly because of it), high school students are very susceptible to manipulation. While I agree there is another layer of issues if the teacher was male and the student was female, it's fundamentally the same problem.

I do not think think she need 4 years in prison. Keep her away from kids and register her as a life time sexual offendor. 'nuff said

I do not think think she need 4 years in prison. Keep her away from kids and register her as a life time sexual offendor. 'nuff said

I think she should get whatever the law proscribes, no more severe or lax just because teenagers are horny.

Assuming I was trying to equate the two in nature is asinine. It seemed obvious I was pointing out that double standards exist.

Secondly, unless the teacher was forcing the 17 year old kid to have sex in exchange for grades or had some power over him then I'll refrain from referring to it as "abuse."

What is asinine is trying to pin me on double standards with an example that is benign in comparison. It simply isn't even a matter. Of course people apply double standards. No one debates that. What is so absolutely galling to me is to read the machismo in this thread and the blatant allusions that it's not as serious when an adult female is involved with a male student as when an adult male is involved with a female student. Absolutely unacceptable.

What is asinine is trying to pin me on double standards with an example that is benign in comparison. .

You stated you were "aghast" that double standards are fine. I responded to that showing that a blanket statement cannot be made .

I do not read people's minds - just their words.

What is asinine is trying to pin me on double standards with an example that is benign in comparison. It simply isn't even a matter. Of course people apply double standards. No one debates that. What is so absolutely galling to me is to read the machismo in this thread and the blatant allusions that it's not as serious when an adult female is involved with a male student as when an adult male is involved with a female student. Absolutely unacceptable.

To your stated point:

In theory you are correct that it's unacceptable.

Reality is that it is somewhat acceptable in some cases.