Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Finals Have Proven We Can't Have 6 Classes

Featured Replies

Average margin of A,AA, and AAA is about 40 points.

 

That can't be the case in state finals.

 

Dreadful showing for the finals.

 

Shows that KY doesn't have enough talent to have 6 classes.

  • Replies 62
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never liked the idea of six classes and never will. Just my personal opinon. We already had a diluted playoff system at times with four classes. Six simply dilutes it further. And I don't need to know that class A, AA, and AAA title games were blowouts to make this claim. And I don't really care that 4A was a close and sounds like pretty good game to think otherwise. There will always be potential for great matchups regardless of the breakdown of class. Bell and Boyle will happen whether 4 classes or 6 classes exist. Highlands, Boyle, Lex Cath, Cov Cath, Bell, Lawernce Co, Rockcastle Co. though only happens with 4 classes and frankly I liked that. Personal preference I guess.

I'm starting to partly agree with this. Maybe the state should go to five classes; if this happened, there would still be balance, but it wouldn't be as dominant overall as a lot of the postseason has been.

I like the idea of 5 classes. Simply take the 10 smallest schools of each class (2-6) and put them down one class and things become much more competitive, IMO.

 

KHSAA will never do this though. Six state championships means that much more money.

Go back and check the scores when there were 4 classes. I would guess half the games were blowouts then also. I can remember a lot of blowouts in the championships. In fact, I think it is unusual to have a game within 7 points in the state finals even when there were 4 classes.

Go back and check the scores when there were 4 classes. I would guess half the games were blowouts then also. I can remember a lot of blowouts in the championships. In fact, I think it is unusual to have a game within 7 points in the state finals even when there were 4 classes.

 

:thumb:

 

Breathitt won its last 2A title 53-6. Blowouts happen. Sometimes the strength is in one half of the bracket and this happens. I don't care whether they choose to go with 4, 5 or 6 classes. Some blowouts in the finals doesn't affect my opinion.

 

I guess they'd need to put X and T in opposite brackets again if they're gunning for competitive title games.

There have many blowouts thru the years. Overall, if you take the average scores the last 6 years, the margin of victory for:

4 classes

04 20

05 21

06 14

 

6 classes

07 16

08 17

09 22

And this year will be terrible.

 

Overall though, I would say it is the same. Now my opinion, I think there should only be 3 classes in KY. Is there any other sport in Kentucky that uses even 4 classes. I know basketball only uses 1, what about cross country, soccer, baseball, volleyball, etc? I think with only 3 classes, playoffs would mean something, playoffs and the state championships would be very competitive, and more exciting to watch.

There have many blowouts thru the years. Overall, if you take the average scores the last 6 years, the margin of victory for:

4 classes

04 20

05 21

06 14

 

6 classes

07 16

08 17

09 22

And this year will be terrible.

 

Overall though, I would say it is the same. Now my opinion, I think there should only be 3 classes in KY. Is there any other sport in Kentucky that uses even 4 classes. I know basketball only uses 1, what about cross country, soccer, baseball, volleyball, etc? I think with only 3 classes, playoffs would mean something, playoffs and the state championships would be very competitive, and more exciting to watch.

 

I think cross-country and track are the only other KY HS sports that are classed (3 classes in each).

 

I've long been one of many who believe that 6 classes of football in a state the size of Kentucky is ludicrous. However, things aren't going to change for the next four years.

I agree, I have come to realize to accept it. But I would love to see 3 classes with T, X, Male, Christian County, Cov Cath, Highlands, etc all playing in 3a. I believe that would make for some great playoffs. And 2a and 1a would be just as exciting.

Go back and check the scores when there were 4 classes. I would guess half the games were blowouts then also. I can remember a lot of blowouts in the championships. In fact, I think it is unusual to have a game within 7 points in the state finals even when there were 4 classes.

 

For the highest level of class from 75 to now I will cut and paste a post I did in another thread:

 

Championship games were competitive (less say that is defined by being within 30 points) regardless of the makeup of the finalists between 1975 and 2003. In 1974 the score was 48-14. Since 2004 there have been 3 lopsided (more than 30 points differential) score in the final.

 

For 5A the average has been 23 points each year and it looks like that average will go up this year. All wins by Highlands. Going back from 2006 backward the trend seems to be 'semi-blowouts' From 1998 to 2006 the victories were all by 16 or more points with the average probably in the 20's.

 

For additional comparison in the last 4 years of the 3 class system the numbers do show much stronger competitiveness in the finals. In 3A between 1969 and 1973 The largest spread in the finals was 21. In 2A the average victory margin for 1970 to 1974 was only 11. So it was very competitive.

 

So the 30+ differential was almost unheard of in the highest class until 2006. 21+ point games have not been unusual in 5A and the old 3A. But when there were only 3 classes it seems the finals were more competitive all around. Probably as expected.

Combine 1 and 2, 3 and 4, 5 and 6. Take top 4 from 8-9-10 team districts and have 3 classes.

Average margin of victory this year (so far) is 41-5.

Average margin of victory this year (so far) is 41-5.

 

Average margin in semi's was bout 16.

Average margin in semi's was bout 16.
That's where many of the championships were decided.
Combine 1 and 2, 3 and 4, 5 and 6. Take top 4 from 8-9-10 team districts and have 3 classes.

 

This would also enable the finals to conclude during November. I think it is crazy for a state with as few football schools as Ky to stretch the thing into December. In Ky, that is B-ball season.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.