Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Finals Have Proven We Can't Have 6 Classes

Featured Replies

The average margin of the title games in 2001 was 23.2 and that included a one-point final in Class 1A

 

In 1998 the average margin was 26.0

 

Blowouts are known to happen

  • Replies 62
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion six classes is too many, three or most likely four would be right.

 

However, this opinion falls on deaf ears. The bias against Louisville schools and the large 6A schools in Louisville has grown stronger in the last ten years or so. Whether spoken or not I believe it exists and drives alot of the decisions in setting up the class system. Short of completely segregating some of these schools from the rest, the KHSAA has went the 6 class route. Until the culture of the KHSAA changes we will be stuck with what we have now or even possibly further segregation.

I'm not a strong advocate either way, but a likely attendance record was set at a venue that most people on here said wouldn't work and in a format that would hurt attendance.

 

I'm thinking 48,000 other people disagree that six classes aren't working.

It is ridiculous to have 42-0, 50-0, 38-0, 47-6 and 46-7 final games.

 

The KHSAA needs to rethink the "let's include everyone and let them all experience the playoffs" garbage.

 

Letting everyone on has nothing to do with finals being blowouts. There were some very good games unfortunatly only 1 was a final. Maybe the next 4 years have the semi-finals seeded. 1vs 4 and 2vs 3. The KHSAA would have to come up with some seeding process but it could help improve final games.

I'm not a strong advocate either way, but a likely attendance record was set at a venue that most people on here said wouldn't work and in a format that would hurt attendance.

 

I'm thinking 48,000 other people disagree that six classes aren't working.

 

As I said before, I like the venue. Having said that attendance should not be the measure of whether something is working or not, unless it is all about the money. Certainly folks will be excited from communities if their team is playing for a state crown, but that would only add fodder to more classes being added. The fact is there was only 1 good, competitive game this year, and that isn't to take away glory from the runner-ups. It is simply stating a fact. In five of the six games the two finalists could have played ten times and the same team that won would have won. Too many classes to be sure, but it is what it is. More people can brag how great they are. I guess not a bad thing. :idunno:

So basically, the argument is it's not about the attendance, it's about the quality of competition.

 

So when the argument is posed about classifying basketball, it suddenly becomes about the Sweet 16 attendance and not the competition, given the same 30 schools are the only ones to advance to the Sweet 16 each year.

 

I realize there has to be a competitive balance somewhere, but I think this year's finals were the result of geography and where the best teams were as opposed to overall parity.

So basically, the argument is it's not about the attendance, it's about the quality of competition.

 

So when the argument is posed about classifying basketball, it suddenly becomes about the Sweet 16 attendance and not the competition, given the same 30 schools are the only ones to advance to the Sweet 16 each year.

I realize there has to be a competitive balance somewhere, but I think this year's finals were the result of geography and where the best teams were as opposed to overall parity.

 

I know you are just throwing that out there, but I don't think it is the same 30 or so teams every year. Northern Kentucky generally has some different teams in the mix to qualify. I think the Sweet 16 is more about the history of that event than anything. I do think many are saying it is about the quality of the competition and in 2010 in the finals it wasn't there 5 out of 6 times.

fewer classes could correct that.

The problem with so many classes is that some teams had more competitive games in their Regular District games, than they had in the Semi or even in the Finals!

 

Shouldn't the games become harder the deeper you get into the Tourney, not easier?

I know you are just throwing that out there, but I don't think it is the same 30 or so teams every year. Northern Kentucky generally has some different teams in the mix to qualify. I think the Sweet 16 is more about the history of that event than anything. I do think many are saying it is about the quality of the competition and in 2010 in the finals it wasn't there 5 out of 6 times.

fewer classes could correct that.

 

It's about the history of it and the money that is brought in to the KHSAA, nothing more, nothing less. Now, the history aspect of it I love, but you ask 100 basketball coaches across the state what they would rather see; 1) Sweet 16 as it is or 2) Class system, and 90 of them will tell you class system (the 10 that dont are those that make it to the Sweet 16 more years than not.

I'm not a strong advocate either way, but a likely attendance record was set at a venue that most people on here said wouldn't work and in a format that would hurt attendance.

 

I'm thinking 48,000 other people disagree that six classes aren't working.

 

I love venue it is being played in but hate the competition of the games. I think if they went to 3 classes and held the playoffs on neutral sites around the state with 2 or 3 games each day, you would see attendance sky rocket. How great would it be to see Trinity vs Bell County, St X vs Highlands, and Danville vs Central in one location to advance to a finals of very good teams. You would have to find fields, but if you only played 2 games, you could do it on a grass field.

So basically, the argument is it's not about the attendance, it's about the quality of competition.

 

So when the argument is posed about classifying basketball, it suddenly becomes about the Sweet 16 attendance and not the competition, given the same 30 schools are the only ones to advance to the Sweet 16 each year.

 

I realize there has to be a competitive balance somewhere, but I think this year's finals were the result of geography and where the best teams were as opposed to overall parity.

 

So you're saying some like to have their cake and eat it too?

 

I tend to agree.

 

BTW, I don't like having six classes for football. I always thought four was perfect. But things aren't going to change. I expect we'll see seven or eight classes before we ever go back to just four, so we might as well just get used to it. Besides, there's no such thing as too much football (even if some of the games are lopsided).

6 Classes are here to stay. Don't the coaches and AD's are the people who can change things?

Which would be bring up another great way to make it fun. You could have 10 team districts but split into east and west like in college. They could play 4 or 5 district games, 3 or 4 rival or out of district games, and have championship game to determine the seeds for the playoffs. Just a thought.

 

Or you could do it like the big ten and not have everyone play each other every year and if it is tie, base the seeds on some sort of tie breaker.

 

I love it.

I love venue it is being played in but hate the competition of the games. I think if they went to 3 classes and held the playoffs on neutral sites around the state with 2 or 3 games each day, you would see attendance sky rocket. How great would it be to see Trinity vs Bell County, St X vs Highlands, and Danville vs Central in one location to advance to a finals of very good teams. You would have to find fields, but if you only played 2 games, you could do it on a grass field.

 

There where some bad games this year but no way 6 teams in finals draws more than 12. If you want to increase attendance play in an indoor facility and serve alcohol.

In my opinion six classes is too many, three or most likely four would be right.

 

However, this opinion falls on deaf ears. The bias against Louisville schools and the large 6A schools in Louisville has grown stronger in the last ten years or so. Whether spoken or not I believe it exists and drives alot of the decisions in setting up the class system. Short of completely segregating some of these schools from the rest, the KHSAA has went the 6 class route. Until the culture of the KHSAA changes we will be stuck with what we have now or even possibly further segregation.

 

I agree. Segregate the privates from louisville!:clap::clap:

 

Finally, something that makes sense...They can play each other 15x to determine the Private School Champion. Best of 15??:idunno:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.