Mercer County Coach

sportsfan08

Just a couple of things I find odd. The posting of the job is totally irrelevant, and everyone is making too big of a deal out of that. They don't even have to post the job. Did they post the basketball job? If they know who they want they could have hired them the day after Mason resigned.

Now that being said if they are going outside they will need to have a teaching job to provide the person they hire that is where it gets tricky. I think we all know who the main players for this postiion are and there is a few people that are working diligently to pull it off.

Also I beleive this is going to be a long process and there will probably be feathers ruffled before all is said and done.

Very true. I wonder about the posting of the job because I'd love to see who officially applies for the job.

And, oh yes, there will be ruffled feathers along the way. Seems like camps for each candidate are starting to become defined and the jockeying for position is beginning.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a couple of things I find odd. The posting of the job is totally irrelevant, and everyone is making too big of a deal out of that. They don't even have to post the job. Did they post the basketball job? If they know who they want they could have hired them the day after Mason resigned.

Now that being said if they are going outside they will need to have a teaching job to provide the person they hire that is where it gets tricky. I think we all know who the main players for this postiion are and there is a few people that are working diligently to pull it off.

Also I beleive this is going to be a long process and there will probably be feathers ruffled before all is said and done.

Great point about the posting of the job. I don't think they did post the basketball job, Britt was named the coach before anyone really knew what was going on. Not very good to be inconsistent like this.

"If they go outside" - I haven't heard of anyone in house that wants it. Some on here have mentioned coach Jeremy Britt, but I don't know that he actually wants it according to some in the Mercer football community. So by all accounts, it looks like the school will hire someone from the outside, but that still remains to be the big question, Who?

And it wouldn't be Mercer if feathers didn't get ruffled!! :lol:

Mercer County = Mess!

That is an acurate statement.

I have had one or more sons in Mercer football for nine years and the situation has never been worse.

1. The administration is not pro football. They did seem to like Mason, but still didn't have his back when they needed to.

2. The parents are extremely unreal in thier expectations. In the 9 years I've been here. The '09 team was the least talented and the '10 team was only slightly better. There is not one player (well maybe the kicker) on this team that could have started on the '06, '07, or '08 teams. The athletic comparison is not even close. People here who thought Mercer even had a shot to win more than 5 games were seriously fooling themselves. And that was if Johnson and Guay had stayed healthy.

3. Bill Mason was put between a rock and a hard place and wasn't given time to do anything significant. IMO the program was better this year than last year and the seeds were beginning to grow for steady improvement. I can't blame him in anyway for leaving. Why give up time with your sons who are playing sports of their own for the abuse that comes with the job?

4. How do you get a quality coach to come into this fiasco?

5. I hope they can get a very strong personality that can control the program and gets support from the administration. There needs to be a culture change

6. I also hope that Mercer fans get a grip and realize they don't have state championship talent right now and don't have unrealistic expectations.

7. The plus is that the '11 team should be more talented than the '10 team. There will be 20+ seniors and and 20+ juniors.

8. The down is that Mercer had no size last year, this year, and won't next year. Which is odd, because we have always been big, but we're not now.

That is an acurate statement.

I have had one or more sons in Mercer football for nine years and the situation has never been worse.

1. The administration is not pro football. They did seem to like Mason, but still didn't have his back when they needed to.

2. The parents are extremely unreal in thier expectations. In the 9 years I've been here. The '09 team was the least talented and the '10 team was only slightly better. There is not one player (well maybe the kicker) on this team that could have started on the '06, '07, or '08 teams. The athletic comparison is not even close. People here who thought Mercer even had a shot to win more than 5 games were seriously fooling themselves. And that was if Johnson and Guay had stayed healthy.

3. Bill Mason was put between a rock and a hard place and wasn't given time to do anything significant. IMO the program was better this year than last year and the seeds were beginning to grow for steady improvement. I can't blame him in anyway for leaving. Why give up time with your sons who are playing sports of their own for the abuse that comes with the job?

4. How do you get a quality coach to come into this fiasco?

5. I hope they can get a very strong personality that can control the program and gets support from the administration. There needs to be a culture change

6. I also hope that Mercer fans get a grip and realize they don't have state championship talent right now and don't have unrealistic expectations.

7. The plus is that the '11 team should be more talented than the '10 team. There will be 20+ seniors and and 20+ juniors.

8. The down is that Mercer had no size last year, this year, and won't next year. Which is odd, because we have always been big, but we're not now.

Very well put! You summed up alot of my feelings with that post. When Mercer lost Guay and Johnson they were just not talented enough to overcome the losses.

Anyway I hope for our sake that they can find someone that can handle this situation. I know there are people that expect that next seasons team should win the district.

As an Outsider: Here is my Take. Mercer Co. would fit in Politicaly in the Eastern Ky. Region, They seem to have a bunch of agendas and none look out for the Kids. Mercer Co. should have enough Talent to Compete with the Big Boys in their District. My advice is go outside. Hire the best person you can find for Mercer Co. Football and support him. If the Administration can"t stand behind a good sound Football Coach , then a good hard look at them needs to be taken. Maybe even some action toward changing the Administration. After all Comittment starts at the TOP!!

Very well put! You summed up alot of my feelings with that post. When Mercer lost Guay and Johnson they were just not talented enough to overcome the losses.

Anyway I hope for our sake that they can find someone that can handle this situation. I know there are people that expect that next seasons team should win the district.

Their new district or their old district. Do these people realize there has been a change here as well. This job was 10 x's more attractive 2 years ago. Now being in the same district with Boyle and Lex Cath, not so much.

[/b]

Their new district or their old district. Do these people realize there has been a change here as well. This job was 10 x's more attractive 2 years ago. Now being in the same district with Boyle and Lex Cath, not so much.

There is a segment of our fanbase that believes that our talent is on par with Boyle County. I don't know how many parents I have had tell me that there isn't a dramatic difference in talent.

To answer your question Okie there is a segment of the fanbase that probably doesn't know that they will be in 4A and in the same district with Boyle, Lex Cath and Marion who has dominated them the last 2 years.

Probably because they win at the middle school level. Middle school football is typically glorified recreation league in the fact there is no off season work put in and not a whole lot of game planning/scheming. "That part of the fan base" needs to wake up and realize what the problem is between them and Boyle. Sounds like 'that part of the fan base' needs to look in the mirror.

This job, despite the problems that we seem to hear, could still be a great one if:

1) Hire a person that will do it their way and stand up for what they feel is right. The administration needs to turn the coach loose and trust that they will.

2) Fans need to realize that the next four years could seem murderous at times, however, allow the coach/staff/players to keep pressing on and don't be negative. Let's be honest, the chances of Mercer winning the district from '11-'14 is slim, however, I could see them finishing 3rd and possibly even 2nd if fortunate enough, thus being the building blocks needed to see Mercer County become the program that it has the potential of becoming.

This job, despite the problems that we seem to hear, could still be a great one if:

1) Hire a person that will do it their way and stand up for what they feel is right. The administration needs to turn the coach loose and trust that they will.

2) Fans need to realize that the next four years could seem murderous at times, however, allow the coach/staff/players to keep pressing on and don't be negative. Let's be honest, the chances of Mercer winning the district from '11-'14 is slim, however, I could see them finishing 3rd and possibly even 2nd if fortunate enough, thus being the building blocks needed to see Mercer County become the program that it has the potential of becoming.

I agree with every word.

I agree. The 2 things that need to happen is the administration needs to get a backbone and tell the parents that they can either support who they hire or don't support at all.

Nicely put Harry! Don't you ever wonder if the 'administration' at the schools read these threads?