Mercer County Coach

sportsfan08

After I read that article all i could think was, This is a JOKE, You need two major characteristics for a head coach #1 WINNING, #2 Can relate to players and help them progress, all this "be a strong teacher in the class room and on the field." Give me a break, nobody gives a care if their FOOTBALL coach can teach, they want them to be able to coach and win and better the team and its players, lets take a quote ive been told and twist it, let the teachers teach and the coaches coach, and once again Yates is going to pick a rinky dink second hand coach at the last minute when nobody wants to play ball his way, its why jaggers was basically forced to leave (He earned his retirment but yates would NOT let him just coach) and mason was hired after two other coaches (who both i think had great season, but dnt quote me on that) had already taken the job and quit within a day after finding out what yates was all about, Mercers principle, and the board of ed. are a joke and its not getting better any time soon and its sad to see it for these mercer players

After reading some of your previous posts it is apparent that you have a kid on the team. It appears that you believe that it is all about winning, which is a large part of the job. But to have no regard as to whether a coach is a quality teacher is just amazing. I believe this post sums up our situation at Mercer County!

So I guess you could have a coach who goes 10-0 but is involved in illegal activities and you are ok with that!

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Until Yates is gone as principal, little, if anything will change. Mason was also the strength coach. I certainly hope they put someone in charge of weightlifting for this team if Yates is going to pull a bonehead move like waiting until Feb. at the earliest to hire a coach. They need to be in the weight room NOW!

After reading some of your previous posts it is apparent that you have a kid on the team. It appears that you believe that it is all about winning, which is a large part of the job. But to have no regard as to whether a coach is a quality teacher is just amazing. I believe this post sums up our situation at Mercer County!

So I guess you could have a coach who goes 10-0 but is involved in illegal activities and you are ok with that!

I think you are taking the statement to the extreme. I understand the point trying to be made. I feel bad for the players too. It doesn't seem like they are being put in the best possible situation to succeed as football players.

I think you are taking the statement to the extreme. I understand the point trying to be made. I feel bad for the players too. It doesn't seem like they are being put in the best possible situation to succeed as football players.

What is to take to extreme? It is all there to read the number one thing should be winning and nobody cares whether they are a good teacher or not!

I also heard yesterday that there was notice sent to the administration by parents or fans that they were going to begin a "smear campagin" to have Mason removed. Apparently they were going to attend SBDM & Board Meetings and write letters to the editor on a weekly basis until he left.

Don't have any idea if this is true but I think my source is pretty reliable.

What is to take to extreme? It is all there to read the number one thing should be winning and nobody cares whether they are a good teacher or not!

I also heard yesterday that there was notice sent to the administration by parents or fans that they were going to begin a "smear campagin" to have Mason removed. Apparently they were going to attend SBDM & Board Meetings and write letters to the editor on a weekly basis until he left.

That is pathetic. I wonder if it's just a small group of parents or most of the parents that are that way in Mercer County? I know when I heard that a parent from Mercer County jump into Coach Mason's Wife's face... the worst part was the administration didn't do anything about it...they said "Why was she in the stands to begin with"...that was their response. Mercer County would be the worst situation possible for a coach to walk in to. Good luck whoever the next coach is. Edited by bugatti

Shame on the parents and Shame on the administration if this is true. Bill Mason is a good man, and to think that the parents have that much say so in the hiring and firing of a coach is right down disgusting. Any good coach in his right mind would not step within 100 miles of that place if this is true. I wish Coach Mason the best of luck and I hope for the kids at Mercer, the administration does what is right and gets them a quality coach in there ASAP to turn the ship around. There is talent at Mercer and the right person with the right backing could be succesful. Best of luck to Mercer County and their search.

Edited by BRAVES1
spelling

The trick is that most schools today need multiple things out of the head coach. You have to have a manager who can negotiate with administration. A politician who can smooze certain parents and keep others at bay. An accountant to handle paperwork and finances. A motivator of young men. Then last but not least a football man who teaches fundamentals and knows his x and o's.

That is pathetic. I wonder if it's just a small group of parents or most of the parents that are that way in Mercer County? I know when I heard that a parent from Mercer County jump into Coach Mason's Wife's face and told her F*** You and F*** your husband in front of her children in the stands during the Lincoln County game in front of God and everybody...the worst part was the administration didn't do anything about it...they said "Why was she in the stands to begin with"...that was their response. Mercer County would be the worst situation possible for a coach to walk in to. Good luck whoever the next coach is.

That's not the entire story. I won't go into it because all involved were wrong.

I have no affiliation with any of the parties involved, I'm just a huge fan of the sport who is close to the surrounding area but on the outside looking in. Based on what I have read on this whole thread, it seems like their may be a ton of problems that will not be easily fixed. I think it is important that the administration get behind whoever the next coach is going to be. I also think that the parents need to cheer for their kids and the team and let the coaches coach. Mercer's next coach will definately walk into a mess and it will be important that he has time to build the program. Mercer will need to choose a guy that will be there for the long haul. A special person with instant credibility should be required for this position. The next coach will have to coach parents, players, and administration, he will have to be tough with discipline and genuine at the same time. Everybody throws out names and all the names are good, but we all know that's just what it is right now, names. Rains is a great coach that knows how to win. He's won a few championships. Buchanan has a great program at Mason County. He seems to reload every year with great talent. Craig Yeast is a developing into one of the best coaches around. I hear he gets the most out of kids and they like playing for him. Dennis Johnson is a good coach, but middle school is what he coaches I think? That's about all I know about him. I do know he along with Craig Yeast played at the highest levels. Well so did Jason Dunn he's from there, but I have no idea where he is or what he doing. If I had my pick, which I don't, I would have to say Yeast would be my guy. He is one of four guys that I mentioned that grew up their and he does a summer camp there already. He's young and up and coming with ties to the area. I think all those guys would be a good fit. Like I said, this is only my opinion!

I would like to think that most great coaches are great teachers as well. That's a skill that translates well from the field to the classroom...the ability to "teach" your system and way of doing things to your players.

I would have to agree! but the sad reality is not all great coaches make good classroom teachers and not all great classroom teachers make good coaches. Finding someone that can do both is hard but what they need to look for. I hope they find both.