Mercer County Coach

sportsfan08

I wasn't going to go there, but I know there is a lot of people that feel that way. I hate to keep saying it but our program is an absolute mess and if people think that next year is going to be dramatically better we will be back in the same boat next year. The issue is everyone is blaming Mason, he was the head coach for 15 months! He had one off season and he had the weightroom open 4 days a week and several mornings before school, he had spring practice and he had a system he believed in.

Now I feel that we have just set ourselves back! Our team will not have an organized off season and then they will learn a new system next year. I just think that him resigning was not what this program needed. I know there are several that feel differently but I try to look at the big picture and I saw what was going on behind the scenes and what was going on there was how a successful program was built.

Hardwork!

I don't feel it was that much of a set back. If the kids aren't buying into the program, it is not going to work, I don't care who is coaching. I had several players tell me they hated the system. Losing James was a real hit, but he was not the entire team. Mercer always did well in the first quarter, then the other team adjusted and Mercer did not. That is the coaches responsibility. I do not expect miracles from a new coach, I would like to see a change in the culture and attitudes. Change that and the wins will come.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't feel it was that much of a set back. If the kids aren't buying into the program, it is not going to work, I don't care who is coaching. I had several players tell me they hated the system. Losing James was a real hit, but he was not the entire team. Mercer always did well in the first quarter, then the other team adjusted and Mercer did not. That is the coaches responsibility. I do not expect miracles from a new coach, I would like to see a change in the culture and attitudes. Change that and the wins will come.

That's it right there. That post says it all.

Jaggers is the one that created the mess in the first place...

Yeah, he did. Lord have mercy. He only won more at Mercer County in the four years he was there than any other coach in the history of the program.

1) Premerger in 2A (tied for the best record in school history @ 10-2 in 2005, his first year, a year after losing a ton to graduation, including the '04 Class AA player of the year and won the first playoff game at the school in almost 20 years),

2) Post merger in 2A (don't want to bring up this dead horse for some to beat).

3) Post merger in 5A('08 District champs, and another playoff win).

He resigns in the summer of 2008 because the administration wouldn't let him retire from teaching and just coach, when he was elligible to do so, what a terrbile guy. Teach 27-30 years and retire when they had the chance to draw full benefits, who in there right mind would ever want to do such a thing?

Living Mercer Co. I have heard that Dennis Johnson is trying to get his teaching degree. So that may be a possibility. But I have also heard that the reason alot of coach don't want the Mercer job is that the Principal wants the program ran his way and will not let the coach do the coaching.

It will not happen! Too many variables that have to fall into place. I don't know Buchanan as well as you do I am sure, but he would be insane to get involved in this climate. I find it quite odd that your statement of supporting the new coach when you showed little for the previous.

Again you say disciplinarian but what would Buchanan do if he disciplined a kid and their parent called the administation and complained and they supported the parent? Please don't fool yourself into thinking that they would support him! Hasn't happened in many years and it won't happen now!

Heck ask the baseball coach about support he had a heck of a season going and the parents complained that he practiced too long. What do you think happened..................thats right he had to shorten his practices. The basketball coach was within 3 points of the sweet sixteen and they fire him.

This is a really tough situation currently! It is going to take the efforts of administrators, coaches and fans to pull us out of this and yes it is going to take parents getting their feelings hurt.

You're right, the success of the football program involves more than just getting a great, experienced coach. It does include total support from the administration, ie: Princpal Yates and the superintendent. And I would have to say that my thoughts right now are 'that ain't gonna happen', if those 2 stay in these positions. I totally agree with you there! There are more issues than just finding a great coach that can build a football program.

Not sure what you mean about me not supporting the previous. I have had opinions on Jaggers and am so entitled. Don't think I've ever posted anything negative about Coach Mason. That's why I pay my bgpreps membership fee... just so I can give my opinioin :thumb:

I'm gonna go ahead and say that Larry French probably had more wins in his 12 years there then Jaggers did in 4, now he might have had more in a 4 year span then anyone else in the school history. That I don't know.

Edited by CoachJr
Punctuation

http://www.centralkynews.com/amnews/sports/amn-prep-football-bill-mason-resig-111610,0,3661019.story

Here is the story about Coach Mason. It doesn't sound like things are going to change much from an administrative support position at Mercer.

That's what I was thinking. They may wait until April to hire a coach? The one thing that Mason's resignation does at t his point is allow Mercer to have a coach in place for after christmas break. If football is no more important to the principal than to wait until mid spring or certain teaching positions open, Mercer football will have a hard time ever being legitimate.

After I read that article all i could think was, This is a JOKE, You need two major characteristics for a head coach #1 WINNING, #2 Can relate to players and help them progress, all this "be a strong teacher in the class room and on the field." Give me a break, nobody gives a care if their FOOTBALL coach can teach, they want them to be able to coach and win and better the team and its players, lets take a quote ive been told and twist it, let the teachers teach and the coaches coach, and once again Yates is going to pick a rinky dink second hand coach at the last minute when nobody wants to play ball his way, its why jaggers was basically forced to leave (He earned his retirment but yates would NOT let him just coach) and mason was hired after two other coaches (who both i think had great season, but dnt quote me on that) had already taken the job and quit within a day after finding out what yates was all about, Mercers principle, and the board of ed. are a joke and its not getting better any time soon and its sad to see it for these mercer players