Mercer County Coach

sportsfan08

I think we use the word "experience" too loosely sometimes. Just because a guy has never been a head coach doesn't mean he is not ready to be a head coach and lead a program. Every head football coach in the history of coaching had to start somewhere. I bet you they weren't a head coach before they became a head coach. When a guy goes off and proves himself as a player and as a coach what else do you need. It's to my understanding, every place Yeast goes the teams get better and they win. The proof is in the pudding, if kids love playing for him and they respond well to him, IMO, that all I need.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we use the word "experience" too loosely sometimes. Just because a guy has never been a head coach doesn't mean he is not ready to be a head coach and lead a program. Every head football coach in the history of coaching had to start somewhere. I bet you they weren't a head coach before they became a head coach. When a guy goes off and proves himself as a player and as a coach what else do you need. It's to my understanding, every place Yeast goes the teams get better and they win. The proof is in the pudding, if kids love playing for him and they respond well to him, IMO, that all I need.

The proof is in the pudding about several of the coaches listed in this thread. I'm sure the kids love playing for Rains and Buchanan too, so that goes for all of them. No doubt Yeast could be a major asset to any program and with his hometown ties, that is a plus for him as well. Maybe we can get a 'dream team' of coaches. One of the experienced, current head coaches and bring Yeast on board to help build a program that competes year in and year out that other teams dread to play. Wouldn't that be awesome?!! :thumb:

The proof is in the pudding about several of the coaches listed in this thread. I'm sure the kids love playing for Rains and Buchanan too, so that goes for all of them. No doubt Yeast could be a major asset to any program and with his hometown ties, that is a plus for him as well. Maybe we can get a 'dream team' of coaches. One of the experienced, current head coaches and bring Yeast on board to help build a program that competes year in and year out that other teams dread to play. Wouldn't that be awesome?!! :thumb:

The issues that plague our program go alot deeper than who the head coach is.

The issues that plague our program go alot deeper than who the head coach is.

As an outsider looking in, only basing these comments on what I have read from this forum over the last couple of years I would say Spread O has hit the nail on the head with his comment. To have a good "PROGRAM" you need a few athletes, some good coaches, good administration, good facilities, good community support, and GREAT PARENTS. If you are missing any of these ingredients then it is hard to expect that the end result will taste good.

As an outsider looking in, only basing these comments on what I have read from this forum over the last couple of years I would say Spread O has hit the nail on the head with his comment. To have a good "PROGRAM" you need a few athletes, some good coaches, good administration, good facilities, good community support, and GREAT PARENTS. If you are missing any of these ingredients then it is hard to expect that the end result will taste good.

Totally agree with Spread O!! Mercer has several of the keys that you mention in this post... athletes, facilities, community support and though parents will be parents, I believe all in all they would support a proven coach. I don't remember hearing them give Jaggers much grief, but he was winning. Winning takes care of some of those issues. You can figure out the keys that I didn't indicate Mercer has and take it from there. So how does that get fixed?

Word on the street updates after the Thanksgiving Holidays and I returned to work in Harrodsburg.......

The support and hope for David Buchanan is still very high. There is reportedly a small pocket of parents who don't want Buchanan. I have been told that the reasoning behind this is that they are worried about their kids playing time. Apparently Buchanan has a son who is a freshman this year I believe and he plays the qb position. I also heard that this small pocket of parents are backing Jeremy Britt as coach to Yates. I also heard that if there isn't a spot for Buchanan's wife as a teacher and if Buchanan can't bring his DC that chances of landing him will be slim. The DC has a son who is currently a sophomore running back, I believe. I also heard that the principal at the 9th Grade Academy is Buchanan's best friend and is working hard to get Coach Buchanan at Mercer. There is a Social Studies teacher retiring as was reported earlier and that would be the spot where Coach Buchanan would take. Stay tuned........

I was told Yeast will not be offered the job.

I was told the job will be posted on December 3rd.

That's all I have for now but it's lunch so I may have more word on the street info later. None of this is concrete info. It is all hearsay and speculative but it is the word on the street.....11/29/10.

Lets not forget that Yeast also grew up there and is a darn good coach. I think the community would welcome him as well, considering that he is a home grown boy that went on to set SEC records and play 8 professional years as a player. If he wants to come home that speaks volumes to me. As of now, he coaches at Washington Co and helped them turn their program around. WC was 3-8, Yeast joined their staff and they went 9-2 this year. He was the OC at Marion last year, they went to the semifinals and their offense was very explosive, he left and their season was not good (5-6). I also know some of the parents of the kids at WC and they say all of the kids on the team love playing for him. This says a lot about about what type of coach and person he is.

Why has Yeast been at so many different places? He has been at Danville, Lincoln County, Marion County and now Washington County. How stable of a hire would Yeast be? How long would he stay when the proof is in the pudding that he can and will leave if given an opportunity elsewhere? Where is Yeast residing at?

Yeast has never coached at Danville to my knowledge and I keep up with what's going on in the area. I'm not sure where that comes from, maybe it's because he lives in Danville. I was told that for a year he did a lot of driving when he coached at Lincoln b/c he worked in Lexington, lived in Danville. Driving from Danville to Lexington, Lexington to Stanford, and from Stanford to Danville everyday would be tough for anyone. That also speaks to the passion and committment he has to coach. He left there because Lincoln had no positions or in the school and Marion offered a position in the school that he still holds but the coaching situation there was not good for him. The coach at Washington Co. played college ball at UK with Yeast and that's why he went there. I'm sure if he does not get the Mercer job he will be back in WC, and they will be pretty good again next year. He works at Marion Co. and coaches at Washington Co. anyone who knows anything about that rivalrly would know that he is in a tough situation. From what I have gathered he has handled a tough situation very professionally and with class. I would not be so quick to judge where a guy has been as a coach, I see production whereever he goes. Yeast is a young guy who I'm sure loves the area or he would not have come back. I'm pretty sure he would want to be at Mercer for a long time. It is home for him is it not? the old saying in "home is where the heart is." Who's to say he hasn't been trying to get to Mercer from the beginning? That would be a question I would like to know the answer to.

Yeast has never coached at Danville to my knowledge and I keep up with what's going on in the area. I'm not sure where that comes from, maybe it's because he lives in Danville. I was told that for a year he did a lot of driving when he coached at Lincoln b/c he worked in Lexington, lived in Danville. Driving from Danville to Lexington, Lexington to Stanford, and from Stanford to Danville everyday would be tough for anyone. That also speaks to the passion and committment he has to coach. He left there because Lincoln had no positions or in the school and Marion offered a position in the school that he still holds but the coaching situation there was not good for him. The coach at Washington Co. played college ball at UK with Yeast and that's why he went there. I'm sure if he does not get the Mercer job he will be back in WC, and they will be pretty good again next year. He works at Marion Co. and coaches at Washington Co. anyone who knows anything about that rivalrly would know that he is in a tough situation. From what I have gathered he has handled a tough situation very professionally and with class. I would not be so quick to judge where a guy has been as a coach, I see production whereever he goes. Yeast is a young guy who I'm sure loves the area or he would not have come back. I'm pretty sure he would want to be at Mercer for a long time. It is home for him is it not? the old saying in "home is where the heart is." Who's to say he hasn't been trying to get to Mercer from the beginning? That would be a question I would like to know the answer to.

I am definitely not judging him. Just asking a question about stability. If he proved to be a great head coach at Mercer in 3 years would he leave for a better job? I think that is a fair question. I have also heard some people rumbling about whether his feelings about the merger would come into play as well. I have no idea about his feelings on the merger but he is a Harrodsburg grad and it wouldn't surprise me if was against it initially. Doesn't he have family working at Mercer? Will his family in the school system help him get an interview. I have a hard time believing the person who told me Yeast won't get at the very least an interview. Of the guys we have mentioned I don't think any of them would be a bad hire. I'll admit I would love to see Buchanan get the job but I think Raines, Yeast or Britt are all certainly capable of righting the ship at Mercer.

From what I hear from the people I know that know him, they say Yeast wants to coach at Mercer for a long time if they were to hire him. He has two young kids that he would want to see grow up and graduate. I believe his kids are young too, elmentary school or possible middle school. If he gets an interview it will be based on what he can bring to the table and not if he has family in the school system or not. In some cases those things can help and in other cases they can hurt you. IMO, Yeast would be a great hire and would be there for the long haul. As far as the merger goes, not sure how he feels about that but for him to want the job say a lot about what he thinks.

Word on the street updates after the Thanksgiving Holidays and I returned to work in Harrodsburg.......

The support and hope for David Buchanan is still very high. There is reportedly a small pocket of parents who don't want Buchanan. I have been told that the reasoning behind this is that they are worried about their kids playing time. Apparently Buchanan has a son who is a freshman this year I believe and he plays the qb position. I also heard that this small pocket of parents are backing Jeremy Britt as coach to Yates. I also heard that if there isn't a spot for Buchanan's wife as a teacher and if Buchanan can't bring his DC that chances of landing him will be slim. The DC has a son who is currently a sophomore running back, I believe. I also heard that the principal at the 9th Grade Academy is Buchanan's best friend and is working hard to get Coach Buchanan at Mercer. There is a Social Studies teacher retiring as was reported earlier and that would be the spot where Coach Buchanan would take. Stay tuned........

I was told Yeast will not be offered the job.

I was told the job will be posted on December 3rd.

That's all I have for now but it's lunch so I may have more word on the street info later. None of this is concrete info. It is all hearsay and speculative but it is the word on the street.....11/29/10.

PurplePride... I always enjoy reading your posts and for the most part you provide great accuracy. :thumb: However, I do know some folks in the Mercer football circle who have more knowledge about Buchanan. And after reading your post, I did some inquiring and asked those who do know Buchanan.

1. Buchanan's son is big kid and plays defense lineman, not QB. Yes, he will be a freshman next year.

2. Buchanan's wife hasn't taught in 15 years and isn't currently looking to get back in to teaching.

3. No talks or 'demands' of teaching positions and bringing the Mason DC have not occurred.

Hope this clarifies the speculations on this.

Keep us posted on what you hear PurplePride! I hear pretty much the same things as you with the exception of the ones stated above.

And yes, the hopes for getting Buchanan are still very high. Dear Santa... :dancingpa

PurplePride... I always enjoy reading your posts and for the most part you provide great accuracy. :thumb: However, I do know some folks in the Mercer football circle who have more knowledge about Buchanan. And after reading your post, I did some inquiring and asked those who do know Buchanan.

1. Buchanan's son is big kid and plays defense lineman, not QB. Yes, he will be a freshman next year.

2. Buchanan's wife hasn't taught in 15 years and isn't currently looking to get back in to teaching.

3. No talks or 'demands' of teaching positions and bringing the Mason DC have not occurred.

Hope this clarifies the speculations on this.

Keep us posted on what you hear PurplePride! I hear pretty much the same things as you with the exception of the ones stated above.

And yes, the hopes for getting Buchanan are still very high. Dear Santa... :dancingpa

It's all good. I was at work 1 hour before I got all that info and I couldn't wait to make a 'word on the street' post. I'll post everything I hear(within reason:sssh::cool:) because someone on here will likely know more than I do or may have the accurate info. I'll use 'word on the street' for my gossip info.:popcorn:

According to a Buchanan family member he has no interest in returning to Mercer. I am sure that is the answer he has to give being that he is already has a job. I still think that is a long shot, although I did hear the rumblings about a position at the Freshman academy for Buchanan but also heard there are people within the district that have time that are also wanting that position.

Everyone just needs to take a deep breath this is going to be a long drawn out process that is a long way from its conclusion. I am sure there have been a few calls made just to get a feel but other than that I don't beleive anything serious is taking place.

There may be some posturing being done by some of the candidates but I don't think the administration is anywhere close to conducting an interview.