South Oldham 29 North Oldham 7

sportslady

No Killer, I regret to say this game was anything but in question. I thought South looked solid but nothing remarkable. (No disrespect intended)

What I really mean is that they did not look like the type of talent that should have made North look so bad. And they did.

As I have said before unless North can figure out a way to execute something other than the pitch out's and a few quick traps these defenses are going to continue the feeding frenzy crashing the backfield and preventing Norths inexperienced QB from ever feeling like he's not running for his life, even on three step drops.

So what's next ? Does Coach Martin give the old " If you can't do the job I'll find someone who will" talk this early with his already undersized and young team? Does he tweak personal or dive even deeper into his underclassmen? Or maybe it's just very painful and unavoidable growing pains ?

These are great kids but few senior leaders can only do so much.

I almost get the feeling we need to see some overachieving unexpected faces emerge from somewhere within the North personnel.

OR ...anyone with a 6'3 195lb problem child with anger issues and the ability to run from Juvy staff and parole officers please see Mr. B Martin C/O N.O.H.S.

South dominated this game pretty much from the start and undoubtedly would have won by more if they could have held on to the ball (lost four fumbles and one INT). South gave up the ball on fumbles on their first two possessions, before scoring on their next two. Austin Crawley was the lone bright spot for North, rushing for over 100 yards again, despite getting precious few holes to run easily through.

14-0 after one period, on two big plays...Jake Nichter scored on a 54 yard run to give South the early lead, and a 61 yard pass play from Jack Sherry to Jacob Lamb provided the second score.

Marc Stephens scored on a 7 yard run to make it 21-0 at the half.

Both teams with multiple opportunities to score late in the 2Q, but turnovers thwarted both. North missed a 38 yard field goal late in the 2Q.

Neither team really moved the ball well in the second half, but both scored once. Most of South's offense in the second half came on a halfback pass from Marc Stephens to Cody Kollenberg, that ultimately led to a Michael Gray score.

North pulled to within 21-7 on a short run by Austin Crawley, but a 10 yard TD run by Michael Gray put the game out of reach for South.

Several dropped passes by North allowed South to keep the pressure going up front, and Cameron Renaud seldom had much time to throw for the Mustangs, although I believe the Dragons only registered one sack.

South piled up over 250 yards rushing on the night, and hit some big plays through the air. North's (very) young line struggled to keep the South front 7 out of the offensive backfield, and the jet action plays frequently resulted in the running back giving ground as he tried to reach the corner. Jeremy Muse was especially active on defense for South Oldham.

A bright spot North was the fact that junior RB Zach Evans returned, but the North coaches exercised care in running him; not sure he's 100% yet.

No offense to the previous staff but maybe this guy is a coach?

I cover all the Oldham schools, and am not going to play the "compare the coaches" game. However, I will say this: Jamie Reed is one of the most impressive HS coaches I've ever met. He appears to be the complete package in the sense that his team is prepared, conditioned, and disciplined. He seems to do a great job of interacting with the fans, parents, administration, and the public in general.

He certainly deserves all the kudos he's receiving here in Oldham County...