Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Enes Kanter received more than $100,000 in cash and benefits...

Featured Replies

This whole Kanter thing is no biggie to me. If he plays, great, if he doesn't, then so be it. The CATS will be just fine going forward. All is good. Cal took a gamble on this kid, and maybe it didn't work out. No big deal.

  • Replies 347
  • Views 46.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes but if they wouldn't normally qualify for the loan it's a major NCAA violation regardless of what he is about to make. The NCAA can get really in depth about that sort of thing. I don't know all the details, but their was a potential story there and it's just one of those things Tipton thought there was a story so he ran with it. It doesn't make him a journalist out to get UK and worth of constant hate because of it.

 

You really don't think his family could have gotten the necessary car loan to purchase a $30K car? You have got to be joking. I'm going to say that I'm 1000% confident that PPat's parents make more than I do. I also was able just last year to get a loan by myself with no co-signor for a $25K car. You really think Patterson wouldn't be able to get approved if he had them co-signing? That's crazy.

You really don't think his family could have gotten the necessary car loan to purchase a $30K car? You have got to be joking. I'm going to say that I'm 1000% confident that PPat's parents make more than I do. I also was able just last year to get a loan by myself with no co-signor for a $25K car. You really think Patterson wouldn't be able to get approved if he had them co-signing? That's crazy.

 

I don't have any idea I don't know what his parents do, what they make, or what their credit history is. But, what I am saying is there was a potential story here. To say that it's not notable just isn't true. And to beat all Patterson is who initially brought up his new vehicle so to hang Tipton up forever for a story on it is just ridiculous because there are plenty of reasons he could have wrote about it. Be it UK fans just wanting to know what Patterson is driving or what a potential NCAA violation.

You really don't think his family could have gotten the necessary car loan to purchase a $30K car? You have got to be joking. I'm going to say that I'm 1000% confident that PPat's parents make more than I do. I also was able just last year to get a loan by myself with no co-signor for a $25K car. You really think Patterson wouldn't be able to get approved if he had them co-signing? That's crazy.

 

That's what I was kind of thinking. A car loan is about as easy as it gets if you have a decently paid job.

I don't have any idea I don't know what his parents do, what they make, or what their credit history is. But, what I am saying is there was a potential story here. To say that it's not notable just isn't true. And to beat all Patterson is who initially brought up his new vehicle so to hang Tipton up forever for a story on it is just ridiculous because there are plenty of reasons he could have wrote about it. Be it UK fans just wanting to know what Patterson is driving or what a potential NCAA violation.

 

How is it notable? College kids get nice cars all the time. Why is that a story?

  • Author
No it's called an extra benefit and it's a huge NCAA violation. What do you think USC is in trouble for right now? If you receive something because of your athletic ability/potential and who you are it's defined as an extra benefit and the NCAA will strip you eligibility in a heartbeat.

These kids can get loans without any collateral because of who they are and they know in 6 months they will be millionaires and the money will be paid back. Not an NCAA violation unless you are getting it from an agent or someone like that. Getting an unsecured loan at the bank is not an NCAA violation.

These kids can get loans without any collateral because of who they are and they know in 6 months they will be millionaires and the money will be paid back. Not an NCAA violation unless you are getting it from an agent or someone like that. Getting an unsecured loan at the bank is not an NCAA violation.

 

It is an NCAA violation if that's why they get it. Now you may not be able to prove that's how he got it with his parents jobs and what not. But if you could ever find one of them saying or writing they gave it to him because he was about to be a pro you better believe it's an NCAA violation. Because the situation you are describing "because of who they are and they know in 6 months they will be millionaires" the NCAA would define as an extra benefit.

How is it notable? College kids get nice cars all the time. Why is that a story?

 

It just is last year when one of our wealthier football players had a car wreck in an escalade it was all over the press down here with MS State fans screaming up and down a booster must have bought him that car. College athletes in nice cars have a huge deal made out of it all the time. Remember Rondo.

It's completely a story when a family of a student athlete who isn't extremely wealthy buys him a vehicle that would cost at least 30 grand. A Lincoln truck is nicer than any vehicle I've ever had. Was he fishing sure, but reporters are always fishing it's their job and if they break the big one they will cash in on it. And from reading the article again he is bragging about his new vehicle to reports. With a quote like "I got a new game to go with my new car." That is what started the firestorm, Patterson brought up his new ride. If a player brags about it someone in the media is going to dig around and try and find out about it.

 

http://www.kentucky.com/2009/10/29/996630/cats-show-their-star-power.html

 

For reference this article linked was written by Jerry Tipton on September 8th, 2010.

 

Yes but if they wouldn't normally qualify for the loan it's a major NCAA violation regardless of what he is about to make. The NCAA can get really in depth about that sort of thing. I don't know all the details, but their was a potential story there and it's just one of those things Tipton thought there was a story so he ran with it. It doesn't make him a journalist out to get UK and worth of constant hate because of it.

 

I would guess that there is only a potential story there if Jerry Tipton couldn't remember what he wrote on November 9th, 2008.

 

Patterson an 'old school' player

UK's big man has a lot on his chest

 

He grew up as an only child. His mother, Tywanna, and Buster poured their energies into their son...

 

Buster, a 20-year Navy man, was known as "Pat" (short for Patterson) by his service buddies. Tywanna, who worked as a civilian on the same Washington, D.C., area base as Buster, assumed his name was Patrick...

 

Tywanna, who has worked in Huntington's Social Security office for 19 years, also wanted Patrick to have a brother or sister. But, as she said of her two subsequent miscarriages, "God had other plans."...

 

Buster, who worked on a supply ship in the Navy and now manages a Wal-Mart in the Ashland area, also played basketball in high school.

 

I would think that most journalist, who knew the information about the Patterson's that Tipton obviously knew would be able to conclude that the Patterson's could likely afford to buy their son a car, even a Lincoln.

 

I'm not a journalist, however, in a relatively short time I was able to determine that by virtue of serving 20 years in the Navy, Mr. Patterson would be eligible for a pension equal to 50% of the average salary that he received during his 3 highest paid years in the military. This pension would be paid immediately and would be in addition to other income earned.

 

Tipton's article does not specify what management postion Mr. Patterson holds with Walmart, however, I was able to find that Assistant Managers earn between 38k to 55k. Co-Managers would start around 60k and Store Manages would earn between 70k to 100k. Management position would also possibly be eligible for significant bonuses.

 

I did not bother to research salaries of employees for the Social Security Administration, however, I woud assume that after 20 years on the job that Mrs. Patterson earns a respectable income.

 

Considering that Patrick Patterson is an only child and it appears to have been obvious for some time that his parents would not need to save for his college tuition, it seems logical to me that perhaps they could afford to have purchased the vehicle in question.

 

I mean it's not like they had been spoiling there son with an extravagant lifestyle or anything.

 

Again from Tipton's own keyboard.

 

College keeps Patrick Patterson at UK

Patterson wants degree, a jump shot

 

As if to emphasize how little money played a role in the decision, Patterson and his father joked about the car UK's present and now future star drives — a 1997 Grand Cherokee that Buster passed down to Patrick.

 

A window is cracked. A back door is broke. So are the windshield wipers. The dome light flickers.

 

"I'm driving pretty much a piece-of-crap car," Patterson said. "I'm pretty much like every other college student. The only difference is I play basketball."

 

You really don't think his family could have gotten the necessary car loan to purchase a $30K car? You have got to be joking. I'm going to say that I'm 1000% confident that PPat's parents make more than I do. I also was able just last year to get a loan by myself with no co-signor for a $25K car. You really think Patterson wouldn't be able to get approved if he had them co-signing? That's crazy.

 

I wholeheartedly agree. Another factor that Tipton has not considered is that the 2008 model was the last Lincoln Mark LT model produced. Considering As of May 11th, 2009, Patrick was still driving a 97 Grand Cherokee, was the new car actually "new".

 

Bottom line is that Tipton tried to paint a picture that simply did not exist, and based on previous newspaper articles that he himself has written, he knew (or should have known) that there was simply nothing to the story.

 

The real shame is that Patrick and his parents appear to be an example of the right way to do things with regard to college athletics. They raised their son to be humble and made sure that he realized the importance of hard work and getting an education. Considering what is becoming the norm for college athletics, that is something to be proud of.

  • Author
It is an NCAA violation if that's why they get it. Now you may not be able to prove that's how he got it with his parents jobs and what not. But if you could ever find one of them saying or writing they gave it to him because he was about to be a pro you better believe it's an NCAA violation. Because the situation you are describing "because of who they are and they know in 6 months they will be millionaires" the NCAA would define as an extra benefit.

 

So if a Bank agreed to give me a loan and they don't require a payment till the first year is up and the loan is unsecured, then I would be violationing an NCAA rule and wouldn't be allowed to play any NCAA sports? No.

Guys you might as well give it up. HT is going to defend Tipton no matter how much evidence you produce to show that he was out to smear Cal and it didn't matter to Tipton that he had to smear and honest hardworking family to do so.

 

Anyway in regards to Kanter, I don't think he was paid to play in Turkey outside of the usual expenses. If the NCAA find differently he should not be allowed to play if not he should. To me its that simple. What some turd from New York writes is immaterial.

  • Author
Guys you might as well give it up. HT is going to defend Tipton no matter how much evidence you produce to show that he was out to smear Cal and it didn't matter to Tipton that he had to smear and honest hardworking family to do so.

 

Anyway in regards to Kanter, I don't think he was paid to play in Turkey outside of the usual expenses. If the NCAA find differently he should not be allowed to play if not he should. To me its that simple. What some turd from New York writes is immaterial.

WHAT? Who is defending Tipton? :lol:

As opposed to blogs? I can tell you right now over the course of the last couple years there has been tons of stuff on KSR that is, at the very least inaccurate and at worst an out-and-out lie.

 

So the print media is no different than blogs. My point exactly.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.