Enes Kanter received more than $100,000 in cash and benefits...

HammerTime

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to say it, but Matt Jones makes some interesting points--especially on the bolded:

5. What Will the Publicity Do to the Decision?: In reality, while the New York Times article gets a bold headline with the money amount, the information in it isnt necessarily new. Everyone knew Kanter was given some money, the question was just how much and what for. The NCAA also obviously knew what was given by the Turkish team, especially if the papers were sent to them. The only difference is now the public knows. That means the media can all Retweet each other and pat each other on the back, but it also means that the NCAA will feel it has to publically justify whatever decision it makes. A 100,000 dollar payment is a juicy headline and even if the ultimate decision to declare Kanter eligible makes sense under the rule, the NCAA will feel pressure to be very thorough in explaining why, with the Thamel/Forde press brigade waiting to pounce. That publicity could push a close case in the other direction and might make the NCAA simply decide that ineligibility is the easier decision to justify.

I'm not worried. Matt has written all summer that there was nothing to worry about and that Enes will be cleared to play. Should be a great season of UK hoops.

So everyone is up in arms when there still isn't any actual proof made public, and all we have to go on is a Turkish GM's word who has every reason in the world to keep him from playing?

:thumb:

I don't know what the "truth" is, but I certainly am not dispositioned to take the Turkish GM's word for it. Someone posted an article a few weeks ago about a Turkish player from West Virginia (I believe) who had trouble with the Turkish team authorities. I'm guessing these guys want compensation for their players in some for or another.

It's just as easy to believe this guy is trying to prevent Kanter from coming to the states to play college basketball.

Maybe World Wide Wes needs to fly to Turkey and smooth things over. :lol:

Someone sounds a little bitter. :sssh:

Yeah no kidding.

What a suprise though, Thamel misquoted and misrepresented someone in his story. Now there is a "real" journalist.

By the way could one of the Forde appologist explain why he has ignored the entire Pitino/Sypher saga?

Jerry Tipton is a clown who has to resort to stirring it up to get anyone to read his crap. Remember the whole chanting the name of recruits ordeal?

You proved my point you bring up one article from a year or two ago on Tipton and it shapes your whole opinion on Tipton. Tipton generally writes pretty upbeat stuff on UK. But when he gives a fair and balanced view and writes about everything and not just the GREAT stuff he gets ripped to shreds. And I'll take the Herald and ESPN over Kentucky Sports Radio and their "journalism" any day. The pictures they post and the childish things they allow to be posted their sometimes make them all seem like a bunch of 12 year olds.

Yes a bold face lie does tend to shape my opinion of someone.

I think everyone is overlooking the motivation of Turkey and this club team to do anything possible to block Kanter from coming to the United States. They would like to prevent this with any means possible to prevent all their young talent from leaving in the future. There is no reason to just believe everything this GM says as he has his own agenda and has provided no actual proof at this point.

As for Thamel, he is doing Forde's dirty work because Forde is no longer allowed to hammer UK and Calipari. They are both excellent journalists, but they also both have some personal issues with Calipari that motivate their work.

As for Kentucky, if we lose Kanter, we have Harrellson left in the post and that's it. We will have to become a very guard-oriented team and while we will win plenty of games, it will be difficult to be great. With Kanter, anything is possible, but depth is going to be an issue late in the season.

I have to agree with you here, The Club from Turkey sent paper documents in but it must not be enough ithe NCAA is asking for more.

Yes a bold face lie does tend to shape my opinion of someone.

So you've never told a lie? I mean give the guy a break, he tried to break one story was wrong wrote an apology, what else do you want? For him to only talk about the good things UK does and ignore anything that could even remotely be construed as bad?

As for Thamel, he is doing Forde's dirty work because Forde is no longer allowed to hammer UK and Calipari. They are both excellent journalists, but they also both have some personal issues with Calipari that motivate their work.

Wireman, why is Forde no longer allowed to hammer UK and Calipari? And how could anyone who has a propensity for misquote his sources be considered excellent?

So you've never told a lie? I mean give the guy a break, he tried to break one story was wrong wrote an apology, what else do you want? For him to only talk about the good things UK does and ignore anything that could even remotely be construed as bad?

Yes I have and I am a scum bag. Yet my lies ddin't smear a family like the Pattersons and I don't sell my lies to the public at $1.00 a copy.

Tried to break a story? Are you serious? Pattrick Patterson having a new car isn't a story unless you are trying to insinuate that he obtained it illegally. I have no problem with him writting about the low GPA, the Gillispie disaster etc but he reaches for controversy and the Patterson lie, and that's what is was, is just one example. Another is the chanting of recruits names which he beat to death last fall.

The article in the C-J seemed to imply that there may be a defense for UK in that Kanter was a minor when he received the payments. That may be based on the theory that the payments were actually received by his parents, not him. Don't know how the NCAA would view this.