Enes Kanter received more than $100,000 in cash and benefits...

HammerTime

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/08/sports/ncaabasketball/08basketball.html?_r=2&ref=sports

ISTANBUL — The best recruit in Kentucky’s top-ranked recruiting class, the Turkish center Enes Kanter, received more than $100,000 in cash and benefits over three years from the professional team he played for here, according to the team’s general manager.

Enlarge This Image

Luca Sgamellotti/EB, via Getty Images

The N.C.A.A. is reviewing the amateur status of Enes Kanter, a 6-foot-11 center.

In an interview in his office here this week, the general manager of Fenerbahce Ulker, Nedim Karakas, said the club had given banking and housing records to the N.C.A.A. that show Kanter received benefits that could jeopardize his amateur status for college basketball.

“I am sorry for telling this for Enes, but we cannot lie if someone asks the whole story, we cannot hide,” Karakas said.

Karakas said that Fenerbahce provided housing to Kanter and his family for more than three years, provided them with food and pocket money and paid Kanter a salary of more than $6,500 a month during his final season.

Karakas and Fenerbahce’s basketball chief executive, Aydin Ors, both said they were unhappy with the way Kanter left the club because they had invested heavily in his development.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fenerbahce stands to benefit if Kanter is declared ineligible to play college basketball since the team would be due a transfer fee if he plays in Europe next season, but Karakas said turning in the documents to the N.C.A.A. eligibility center was a matter of telling the truth.

Karakas declined to show a reporter records of the payments. But he said Fenerbahce’s lawyers have sent housing records and bank records to the N.C.A.A. showing that the Kanters deposited checks from the club at a Turkish bank known as Türkiye Finans Kat{inodot}l{inodot}m Bankasi.

But Matt Jones says everything will be ok and that us UK Fans have nothing to worry about. In Matt we trust. :rolleyes:

Matt Jones is so childish. It irks me how he talks about how great his info is and then how his websites belittles everyone like they do. I have a hard time taking anything they say seriously as well. He acts like a 12 year old.

KySportsRadio

Bottom line on Kanter, If legit payment documents of a salary exist, he likely wont play at UK. If not, he will. Only NCAA knows for sure

Oh really? :lol:

Don't worry tomorrow he will tell you how he's first class journalism while he rips Tipton, Forde, and everyone else that works for a real media outlet.

It's amazing how hard Pete Thamel goes after Calipari. I mean, the guy flew to Turkey to file this report. Also amusing that Forde was so quick to praise him for "impressive" reporting on Twitter.

Ya as much as I root against UK even I find Thamel's obsession a bit odd. Unless Thamel is just the hired gun by someone else to go after Cal. It's completely possible someone else wants after Cal and Thamel is just the tool to chase him.

Ya as much as I root against UK even I find Thamel's obsession a bit odd. Unless Thamel is just the hired gun by someone else to go after Cal. It's completely possible someone else wants after Cal and Thamel is just the tool to chase him.

Forde?

Forde?

He could do it himself, and I don't think he hates UK as much as UK fans think. UK fans just hate writers that won't pump the sunshine 24/7. From a non UK fan's perspective I think him and Tipton both give UK much better coverage than bad. But they sometimes talk about the icky stuff UK fans want to pretend doesn't exist, and to bring it up gets them a bad wrap.