Enes Kanter received more than $100,000 in cash and benefits...

HammerTime

I think Kentucky has handled this situation very well. They have not played Kanter & are not willing to take any chances of playing him & having it come back to haunt them. They have complied with the NCAA & have supported Kanter.

My biggest concern is NOT that Kanter will be ruled ineligible. It is that he'll be cleared & will later be ruled ineligible, thus permitting the NCAA to vacate wins, final fours, etc. All Calipari jokes aside, my concern is much broader than just the University of Kentucky & Enes Kanter.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I have and I am a scum bag. Yet my lies ddin't smear a family like the Pattersons and I don't sell my lies to the public at $1.00 a copy.

Tried to break a story? Are you serious? Pattrick Patterson having a new car isn't a story unless you are trying to insinuate that he obtained it illegally. I have no problem with him writting about the low GPA, the Gillispie disaster etc but he reaches for controversy and the Patterson lie, and that's what is was, is just one example. Another is the chanting of recruits names which he beat to death last fall.

It's completely a story when a family of a student athlete who isn't extremely wealthy buys him a vehicle that would cost at least 30 grand. A Lincoln truck is nicer than any vehicle I've ever had. Was he fishing sure, but reporters are always fishing it's their job and if they break the big one they will cash in on it. And from reading the article again he is bragging about his new vehicle to reports. With a quote like "I got a new game to go with my new car." That is what started the firestorm, Patterson brought up his new ride. If a player brags about it someone in the media is going to dig around and try and find out about it.

http://www.kentucky.com/2009/10/29/996630/cats-show-their-star-power.html

It's completely a story when a family of a student athlete who isn't extremely wealthy buys him a vehicle that would cost at least 30 grand. A Lincoln truck is nicer than any vehicle I've ever had. Was he fishing sure, but reporters are always fishing it's their job and if they break the big one they will cash in on it. And from reading the article again he is bragging about his new vehicle to reports. With a quote like "I got a new game to go with my new car." That is what started the firestorm, Patterson brought up his new ride. If a player brags about it someone in the media is going to dig around and try and find out about it.

http://www.kentucky.com/2009/10/29/996630/cats-show-their-star-power.html

So it's completely out of the realm of possibility that an intelligent guy like Patterson, with two intelligent parents, wouldn't possibly make the decision to purchase a nice vehicle knowing that in 6 months or so, he'd be able to pay it off completely when he cashed in professionally?

So it's completely out of the realm of possibility that an intelligent guy like Patterson, with two intelligent parents, wouldn't possibly make the decision to purchase a nice vehicle knowing that in 6 months or so, he'd be able to pay it off completely when he cashed in professionally?

Plus is father is a manager for Wal-Mart. Granted not a heart surgeon but he is not getting paid peanuts. Is a Lincoln more expensive than 3 years of college tuition? I think the Patterson got of cheap.

Tipton was stirring the pot, period. Patterson having a new car, regardless of whether he mentioned it or not, isn't a story in itself. It only a story if he obtained it illegally which is what Tipton was hinting at. Then he makes up the story about him driving away in it. Its terribly irresponsible at best. But it is what he has to resort to in order to get someone to notice him.

Wireman, why is Forde no longer allowed to hammer UK and Calipari? And how could anyone who has a propensity for misquote his sources be considered excellent?

I actually wrote that before the news came out that he misrepresented his quote. Let me now say that he has good writing skills, but is not a good journalist. There has been some rumors circulating that Forde has been pulled off UK reporting by ESPN.

I personally don't think $100,000 is out of the realm of "allowable payment" considering we're talking about more than 3 years...

I actually wrote that before the news came out that he misrepresented his quote. Let me now say that he has good writing skills, but is not a good journalist. There has been some rumors circulating that Forde has been pulled off UK reporting by ESPN.

I personally don't think $100,000 is out of the realm of "allowable payment" considering we're talking about more than 3 years...

Thanks for the answers.

It's interesting that John Clay has a negative tweet about KSR. Someone feels threated. What these guys don't get is that KSR isn't trying nor claim to be journalist. They are a UK fan site, its that simple.

I find it funny so many people are ripping on Matt Jones. I can understand why you could say you don't like his info or what he does. But those of you talking about how he thinks he is a great journalist are far off base. If you ever listen to the radio show he jokes all the time that he is merely a fan with a chance to pretty much live a dream and cover sports. He talks about how it still feels like he is a fan when hes at the game on press row while the other journalists look like they are miserable to even be there. He's a guy that loves UK and started a blog, he has never claimed to be a journalist.

As far as info goes, no KSR is not the spot to get inside the details on whats going on, but for UK oriented stuff and entertainment value you cannot beat it.

I find it funny so many people are ripping on Matt Jones. I can understand why you could say you don't like his info or what he does. But those of you talking about how he thinks he is a great journalist are far off base. If you ever listen to the radio show he jokes all the time that he is merely a fan with a chance to pretty much live a dream and cover sports. He talks about how it still feels like he is a fan when hes at the game on press row while the other journalists look like they are miserable to even be there. He's a guy that loves UK and started a blog, he has never claimed to be a journalist.

As far as info goes, no KSR is not the spot to get inside the details on whats going on, but for UK oriented stuff and entertainment value you cannot beat it.

Exactly. Jones still feels like a fan because that is exactly what he is. I thankful that he isn't a "real journalist" at least you know where he is coming from.

Lets look at some of the jewels from the "real jounalist".

- Tipton on Patterson

- Thamel misquotes Bledsoe's landlord

- Thamel misquotes the coach he interviewed

- The Chicago Sun Times reports that Davis was receiving $250k from the college of his choice.

Is there any wonder that people are not reading newspapers? You have to ask yourself todays newspapers much different than the National Enquirer?

Exactly. Jones still feels like a fan because that is exactly what he is. I thankful that he isn't a "real journalist" at least you know where he is coming from.

Lets look at some of the jewels from the "real jounalist".

- Tipton on Patterson

- Thamel misquotes Bledsoe's landlord

- Thamel misquotes the coach he interviewed

- The Chicago Sun Times reports that Davis was receiving $250k from the college of his choice.

Is there any wonder that people are not reading newspapers? You have to ask yourself todays newspapers much different than the National Enquirer?

As opposed to blogs? I can tell you right now over the course of the last couple years there has been tons of stuff on KSR that is, at the very least inaccurate and at worst an out-and-out lie.

Yes but if they wouldn't normally qualify for the loan it's a major NCAA violation regardless of what he is about to make. The NCAA can get really in depth about that sort of thing. I don't know all the details, but their was a potential story there and it's just one of those things Tipton thought there was a story so he ran with it. It doesn't make him a journalist out to get UK and worth of constant hate because of it.

Someone sounds a little bitter. :sssh:
I'm not bitter. But the constant assurances that Kanter would be eligible and that the national media was on a witch hunt was at best a little premature given the author had no inside knowledge of what facts the NCAA did or did not have. It's one thing to clarify a comment with "I think" or "Don't be surprised if.." It's another for someone to tell a rabid fanbase "there's nothing to worry about."

I'm not bitter in the least. But I think there should be some accountability for the site if Kanter is indeed ruled ineligible. And I don't mean holding Thamel accountable.

If you want to blame someone, blame Lane Kiffin for taking the USC job. Thamel was all over him during his year at Tennessee and when Kiffin left for USC, Thamel moved on to Calipari.

Thamel is a Syracuse grad who grew up in Massachusetts. Connect the Calipari dots if you wish.

Yes but if they wouldn't normally qualify for the loan it's a major NCAA violation regardless of what he is about to make. The NCAA can get really in depth about that sort of thing. I don't know all the details, but their was a potential story there and it's just one of those things Tipton thought there was a story so he ran with it. It doesn't make him a journalist out to get UK and worth of constant hate because of it.

That's on the car dealership if they are giving him the car with no payment until he got drafted or whatever arrangment he made with them.. Nothing to do with an NCAA violation. Plus we have no idea what happened.

That's on the car dealership if they are giving him the car with no payment until he got drafted or whatever arrangment he made with them.. Nothing to do with an NCAA violation. Plus we have no idea what happened.

Exactly. If your the sports writer for the local paper, shouldn't you have better things to worry/write about than an athletes new vehicle?

No it's called an extra benefit and it's a huge NCAA violation. What do you think USC is in trouble for right now? If you receive something because of your athletic ability/potential and who you are it's defined as an extra benefit and the NCAA will strip you eligibility in a heartbeat.