A request and reminder

While this message board grants people the right to express their opinions and feeling freely (within the rules), not every right needs to be exercised freely and with rights comes the responsibility to exercise rights carefully. As the season begins shortly, I'd request that posters remember that when we make posts about the failures of teams, we are talking about teenage kids. And we are talking about coaches who either volunteer their time or work for pennies per hour working with kids to enable them to have fun and try to realize their dreams. I realize that not every kid busts his butt for the team and the game and I realize that not every coach does either, but nonetheless they are out there in the arena we call high school football. If a kid misses a tackle or block, drops a pass or throws an interception, I'm sure he didn't mean to. If the coach calls a crucial play that fails miserably, you know he honestly thought it was going to work or he wouldn't have called it. With all the time the kids and coaches have to put into football these days, you know the failures weren't due to a lack of committment or desire.

Particularly at the beginning of the season, let's not be too quick to start the arm chair QBing. Sit back and watch the kids playing the game because they love the sport and just want to have fun. If they don't win as many games as you want them to or think they should, but they are still having fun participating in the game, that's all we should really be asking of them. It's blooming high school sports, not pro sports. Try to follow the golden rule of: would I want someone to publicly say about my teenage son who is a player or my brother who is the coach, what I am about to post about some kid or coach? If not, then don't post it. If you wouldn't say what you are about to post directly to the kid or his parent or to the coach, then don't post it.

I've violated the golden rule myself in the past and when I have done so, looking back I've been embarrassed. As most that know me realize, I'm not some "warm and fuzzy, overly worried about a kid's self esteem" kind of guy; then again society could benefit from a healthy dose of civility and respect for others.

Thanks for considering my request and good luck to all the teams in the upcoming season. It will be odd not having a son participating on a Highlands football team for the first time in quite some time, but it will still be fun watching the Birds (plus with a nephew on the team and others on the way, I'll retain some family connection to the team). Again good luck to all the teams this season.

LN

Heavy sigh! Man you did a great job, now post the same on the college board, it would fit. I will do my best, and will reread any posts I'll submit. This has helped because I have not sent something because I reread it and felt differently in just a few seconds.

Good Luck to all the teams and I pray for their safety.

LN - is this a preemptive strike against fans near and dear to you that might be watching a new OL in an upcoming scrimmage?

I seem to remember two seasons ago when they brought in a new line that struggled a bit in the BW scrimmage and the board was rocking with negative posts.

Good call, my friend.

Excellent post. :notworthy: One of the things I like best about Bluegrasspreps is the civility of (most of) the posts. I occasionally venture on to the jungle noise threads on Bengals.com and am shocked by how caustic and sharp the posters are not just to the players, but to one another. The kids read and follow BGP very closely. As always LN, your advice is A+++.

Excellent post. :notworthy: One of the things I like best about Bluegrasspreps is the civility of (most of) the posts. I occasionally venture on to the jungle noise threads on Bengals.com and am shocked by how caustic and sharp the posters are not just to the players, but to one another. The kids read and follow BGP very closely. As always LN, your advice is A+++.

I agree with LN on his post. What I don't understand is many here always say that the kids are on BGP reading the posts-isn't that a violation in an of itself? Don't you have to be 18 to be a member? And isn't it a violation to get on someone else's account? Just curious?

I agree with LN on his post. What I don't understand is many here always say that the kids are on BGP reading the posts-isn't that a violation in an of itself? Don't you have to be 18 to be a member? And isn't it a violation to get on someone else's account? Just curious?

Was just told you have to be at least 16 and have parental consent.

Anybody can view what we post when the Thread is unlocked. Meaning BluegrassPreps.com is usually unlocked a few days a week so people can view it and decide if they want to join.