Jonathan Ferguson Commits to Alderson-Broaddus College

PurplePride92

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear the kid gets to play and get his education paid for.

However, this whole episode exemplifies the problem with parents/friends/fans getting on a public board and setting the kid up for failure. This isn't the first time nor will it be the last where we keep hearing "D1 D1 D1" and then the kid ends up at a relatively unknown school which is probably the right level for him. Now the kid (and others before and others in the future) has to explain why he's not D1 like many who blew smoke claimed he "might" or "will" be.

Let the kids enjoy their careers without having to then explain why they didn't live upto the unfair hype placed upon them by those who can't see the forest for the trees.

However, this whole episode exemplifies the problem with parents/friends/fans getting on a public board and setting the kid up for failure. This isn't the first time nor will it be the last where we keep hearing "D1 D1 D1" and then the kid ends up at a relatively unknown school which is probably the right level for him. Now the kid (and others before and others in the future) has to explain why he's not D1 like many who blew smoke claimed he "might" or "will" be.

Let the kids enjoy their careers without having to then explain why they didn't live upto the unfair hype placed upon them by those who can't see the forest for the trees.

Now THERE is a post of beauty. :thumb:

Former Russell coach, Steve Dodd was the coach @ AB for several years. While he was there, two local players attended. Ty Davis from Ironton (got homesick and left after one year) and from Ashland, I believe the name was Dirk Andrews. I attended about 6 games a year during this time and saw some very good basketball.

Great post. It's all about the fit.

Just ask Happy at Georgetown, who has maintained a very successful program by blending HS recruits with kids who, for whatever reason, didn't quite fit with their first choices.

Exactly my point

Ferg wasn't overly hyped like many on this site want to keep saying over and over again! Mississippi State, Western Kentucky and Air Force thought enough of his skills in 09 to either offer schlorships and or a walk-on spot with the potential for a full-ride. So I thinks it's logical if those type of D-1 schools thought of him in those regards he had to be legit. Now to the present: I will admit the year off evidently hurt him with "big" choices named above but if he is happy with what he chose than so be it. But for many to say this kid is over hyped or a product of bad 16th region basketball is way off base. If any of you attended the Kentucky Bank Shootout at Bourbon County in 08 and saw Ferg totally rip apart a very athletic team from Charleston, WV your opinion would be different. I think with the majority of you that is the problem, you just never saw Ferg or the rest of team play enough to have an informed opinion.

Ferg wasn't overly hyped like many on this site want to keep saying over and over again! Mississippi State, Western Kentucky and Air Force thought enough of his skills in 09 to either offer schlorships and or a walk-on spot with the potential for a full-ride. So I thinks it's logical if those type of D-1 schools thought of him in those regards he had to be legit. Now to the present: I will admit the year off evidently hurt him with "big" choices named above but if he is happy with what he chose than so be it. But for many to say this kid is over hyped or a product of bad 16th region basketball is way off base. If any of you attended the Kentucky Bank Shootout at Bourbon County in 08 and saw Ferg totally rip apart a very athletic team from Charleston, WV your opinion would be different. I think with the majority of you that is the problem, you just never saw Ferg or the rest of team play enough to have an informed opinion.

Just wondering, how many games did you see him play his Sr. year? By your avatar you are a 10th region supportor. As being over hyped, were't you the one that also said that UK was interestered?

He definately could have played D1 right out of high school and anyone with any knowledge of what was going on then knows that. And had a chance to go try out for a D1 this second round but he would have had to sit out a year and he definately didn't want to do that so he declined. D1 doesn't have to be SEC, Big 10, ACC, etc etc because there are lots of mid or low major D1's out there that Ferg could have played for and a few of them tried to get him in 09', BUT he blew it and knows it. He now has to settle for D2 and you guys(many of whom didn't even have a chance to play anywhere at next level) are acting like...Oh! My gosh, he only gets to play at the D2 level. He spent the night last night so I let him read what you guy's were saying, and told him who I thought some of you were. He is a better man than all of us because he just laughed and said...let em think what they want, you don't have to defend me to people like that. Then added, but if you do tell them I am just happy to get a second chance and I picked a team that has been to NCAA tourney 9 years in a row, and weak conference or not, losing first round or not..it would have to be a blast. By the way he picked up two more D2 offers today.

GO FERG!

Just wondering, how many games did you see him play his Sr. year? By your avatar you are a 10th region supportor. As being over hyped, were't you the oe that also saidthat UK was interestered?

Snappy could be getting the UK info from the PAST. He went to the UK for a visit and scrimmage and he never got a scholarship offer but a walkon was discussed With BG. I guess that would qualify as interest

He definately could have played D1 right out of high school and anyone with any knowledge of what was going on then knows that. And had a chance to go try out for a D1 this second round but he would have had to sit out a year and he definately didn't want to do that so he declined. D1 doesn't have to be SEC, Big 10, ACC, etc etc because there are lots of mid or low major D1's out there that Ferg could have played for and a few of them tried to get him in 09', BUT he blew it and knows it. He now has to settle for D2 and you guys(many of whom didn't even have a chance to play anywhere at next level) are acting like...Oh! My gosh, he only gets to play at the D2 level. He spent the night last night so I let him read what you guy's were saying, and told him who I thought some of you were. He is a better man than all of us because he just laughed and said...let em think what they want, you don't have to defend me to people like that. Then added, but if you do tell them I am just happy to get a second chance and I picked a team that has been to NCAA tourney 9 years in a row, and weak conference or not, losing first round or not..it would have to be a blast. By the way he picked up two more D2 offers today.

GO FERG!

Your right about the level. D-II and NAIA is very competitive and great basketball. People need to go see some games at that level to appreciate teh quality of play.

I'm glad to hear that he finally found a school.

As for Dale, I'm not quite sure how I know him but every time I see him he is always super friendly to me (he doesn't know who I am on here though :lol:). He and the rest of the EC faithful probably went a little overboard with that entire team on this site, but I think we have to remember that the players were their kids or played for their school/community. Everyone who is involved with a school or player does that on this site, though maybe not to the extent that some do on here.

He may have hyped his kid up, but so what? It's a message board, let it die.

GO FERG!

I think you are reading what you want to read in to everyone's post. I am not finding all of these "wishing to see Jonathan fail" posts that you are finding. People have asked some legitimate questions which have been scoffed at by many.

Congrats to Jonathan and his commitment. I hope he has a successful career :thumb:

He's a 6'2" guy from the Mts. of EKY. Whats his vertical? How fast is he? Does he play defense? Or is he a shooter whos pretty small? Come on guys, this guy never had D1 anywhere near his name. But Congratulations on getting your school paid for and playing at the level where you can compete.