June 1, 201016 yr If my bringing up Maggette seemed out of place, sorry but I felt it was relevant. Just like Arthur was. My point was simple - the NCAA often does not delve out the same punishment to each group. It's historically random in the cases they punish and the ones that get less punishment. If you take that as Duke hate, so be it. I'm as objective as any fan you will find in any sport or level. Any problems I have with Duke have to deal with living here in Duke/UNC country. I posted on a local sports site and was promptly told by a UNC fan and Duke fan why they hate UK so much. Funny thing was I have often been told by some Duke fans on this site that there is no animosity from Dukies towards UK. I experienced just the opposite. Of course if the truth is known, every successful program has a share of arrogance that "turns off" everyone outside the loop. It goes with the turf. Bringing up Maggette was entirely appropriate, because the NCAA has looked the other way on it. Will be interesting to see what they do w/ USC football & UCONN basketball. Look, I hate Duke. And like most UK fans, that hatred started in March of 1992. That's what we're seeing with Duke being brought up so much--hatred & not jealousy. Many UK fans, myself included, see an NCAA leniency in dealing with Duke. This past year's cakewalk draw they got only added to that (and it wasn't just UK fans that recognized this). And when the Bledsoe issue came up, it again reminded us of how the NCAA has failed to enforce the same punishment with Duke as it has with other schools in the past for identical violations. Duke has one of the elite basketball programs in the country. Coach K is one of the best coaches in the country. Am I jealous of that? No. Why should I be? Kentucky also has one of the elite basketball programs in the country, and also one of the best coaches. But of the teams I loathe, Duke is very near the top of that list. Christian Laettner & the NCAA's passivity in dealing with Duke are the two primary factors for that.
June 1, 201016 yr Author PP, this thread you started is very funny to me. You just can't stand it, can you? No matter what, you know Duke will never measure up to UK and will always be a "little brother" to the Big Blue. As far as why Duke was mentioned in an Eric Bledsoe thread, let me explain it to you. Like most threads on BGP, the thread evolved. It evolved into a discussion about NCAA rules and enforcement. If you can't understand why people would have questions and comments regarding Duke when it comes to NCAA consistency and enforcement of their rules, then you must have your head in the sand and you are not being very realistic. That's why Duke was mentioned in the EB thread. I really wish UK and Duke would schedule a game in the near future, but I am sure Coach K would have nothing to do with that. Little brother?:lol: If Duke is 'little brother' then Duke is Serena and UK is big brother Venus. I can handle that.
June 1, 201016 yr I'm not sure the prupose of this thread. We all would have likely been saying the same things about Duke even if they hadn't won the national title, so your thoughts of "jealously" don't hold much water. Duke is a great program, you won't find me denying that, but they are definitely a media darling and it becomes unbearable at times.
June 1, 201016 yr College basketball did not start in 1974. I will never be jealous of another team because I have UK. There are some of our fans that I can do without. All teams have them we(and I always refer to UK as we) just have more. It didn't and I am no Duke fan, but definately not a UK supporter. Duke is the current champ of men's basketball. Their coach has more crowns than any active men's college coach in the country. UK's best coach is deceased. UK's prime is the past. Duke's is the present. It is the equivalent of Spain still saying they are a world power. They were at one time along tiome ago. They are important now, but not a world power. Similar to UK. Edited June 1, 201016 yr by History grammer
June 1, 201016 yr UK's prime is the past. Duke's is the present. Surel you don't really believe that, do you? Most would have said UNC was in their prime at this time last year, but then they fell hard. Programs don't have "primes", they have ups and downs, and you definitely can't say UK is "down" right now.
June 1, 201016 yr Author I'm not sure the prupose of this thread. We all would have likely been saying the same things about Duke even if they hadn't won the national title, so your thoughts of "jealously" don't hold much water. Duke is a great program, you won't find me denying that, but they are definitely a media darling and it becomes unbearable at times. The purpose of this thread is a light hearted disussion about whether or not it is called hatred or jealousy because in a lot of people's eyes Duke is the number 1 media darling(Duke Vitale as well as two Dukie broadcaster/analysts in Bilas and Jay Williams, who, BTW is horrible according to most people), every Duke game is nationally televised(living in KY there is at least 1-2 UK games that I have to watch on tape delay yet I can watch every Duke game live on ESPN or FoxSports......go figure) Duke got a wrist slap by the NCAA and are the teacher's pet of the NCAA. I just think that most people wonder why it isn't their storied program that gets this treatment. Am I wrong for thinking that if the roles were reversed between Duke and UK that people would be screaming at the mountaintops that UK is deserving of such status and that I am jealous of UK? Oh wait, they already say I am jealous of UK.
June 1, 201016 yr Please believe me when I say I feel bad for those UK fans in Carolina. They get it from Duke and UNC and while my contempt for all things UNC can go without explanation, my dealings with Duke fans on a Duke message board have been less than favorable. They are arrogant and condescending if I can't stand them as a Duke fan, I can only imagine what a non Duke fan feels. Well, you and I are in the same boat then because I feel the same way about many UK fans. As a HUGE UK fan, I wish they would chill a little. I don't like being automatically stereotyped and hated because of their immature comments and actions.
June 1, 201016 yr Surel you don't really believe that, do you? Most would have said UNC was in their prime at this time last year, but then they fell hard. Programs don't have "primes", they have ups and downs, and you definitely can't say UK is "down" right now. They are part of the discussion, but the other schools you mentioned won the last two championships. UK is on a one year uptick, and I don't believe they will be nearly as good next year. (it's a stretch to say UK is better right now than Duke, when Duke is the reigning champion.)
June 1, 201016 yr Duke has been off the map for years it seems. Your avatar explains it all, they had a really good team this year.
June 1, 201016 yr Kinda like all the threads that a few on here always make it into a UK thing, correct ? :thumb: I guess all fan bases have the so called 18%. It is hilarious though, so as MT said , keep it up. :lol: :thumb:
June 1, 201016 yr From what I gathered Coach K wants a neutral site game and UK wants a home and home(message board speculation) Guess we'll just have to see if we can hook up in the tourney with a meaningful game. If it's going to be a neutral site, I'd just as soon schedule somebody else. I have no interest in playing Duke (outside of the NCAA Tournament) at any venue other than Rupp Arena or Cameron Indoor Stadium. If we're talking home-and-home, then there's nobody I'd love to see UK schedule more than Duke. I'd love to see the atmosphere at Rupp and Cameron if these two teams took the court...anything less, I'll feel cheated.
June 1, 201016 yr PP, this thread you started is very funny to me. You just can't stand it, can you? No matter what, you know Duke will never measure up to UK and will always be a "little brother" to the Big Blue. As far as why Duke was mentioned in an Eric Bledsoe thread, let me explain it to you. Like most threads on BGP, the thread evolved. It evolved into a discussion about NCAA rules and enforcement. If you can't understand why people would have questions and comments regarding Duke when it comes to NCAA consistency and enforcement of their rules, then you must have your head in the sand and you are not being very realistic. That's why Duke was mentioned in the EB thread. I really wish UK and Duke would schedule a game in the near future, but I am sure Coach K would have nothing to do with that. Exactly!!!!! :thumb:
June 1, 201016 yr The only thing I am jealous of is the bracket Duke was given to make it to the Final 4.....lol. Duke has a great program. No one can deny that. Its amazing what they have accomplished. But for the previous 5 years I have talked about how each year they are overrated and won't go far in the tournament. I was dead on each year. This year I felt the same way the first couple months of the year. Then IMO because of Zoubek's emergence, became a great team. Nolan Smith also had a huge year after a down sophomore year. I had them going to the Elite 8 actually, which is the fartherst I had them going in my bracket since Deng was there. I think its hard to deny that Duke hasn't been anything special the last few years until this year. Now it appears Duke is back to being elite again. Getting Irving to come to Duke is huge for them too.
June 1, 201016 yr Little brother?:lol: If Duke is 'little brother' then Duke is Serena and UK is big brother Venus. I can handle that. Now that is funny.
June 1, 201016 yr If it's going to be a neutral site, I'd just as soon schedule somebody else. I have no interest in playing Duke (outside of the NCAA Tournament) at any venue other than Rupp Arena or Cameron Indoor Stadium. If we're talking home-and-home, then there's nobody I'd love to see UK schedule more than Duke. I'd love to see the atmosphere at Rupp and Cameron if these two teams took the court...anything less, I'll feel cheated. :thumb: Well said. I would pay good money to see that game in person at either venue.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.