Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Ideal Number of KY HS Football Classes Is...

How many classes should there be? 148 members have voted

  1. 1. How many classes should there be?

    • 6
      9%
      14
    • 5
      34%
      51
    • 4
      46%
      69
    • 2-3
      8%
      13
    • Only one
      0%
      1

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

  • Replies 99
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...how many?

 

Great question. I thought of voting, but then wanted to give it some thought.

 

First question, how many schools in KY participate in football currently?

 

Second question, for surrounding states, or big football states, how many classes do they each have, and how many total schools playing football?

 

If someone has this information handy, it might contribute to rational thinking in the thread. Or not, but at least will give some reference.

Currently in the state of Kentucky there are 220 (+/- based on the expected opening of a few new schools) football playing schools. In my breakdown I will assume the continued use of 8 districts per class, just because that works geographically and it is easily bracketed for the postseason.

 

-In the six class system which we currently have many districts are left with only four teams, which eliminates any on-field qualification for the playoffs.

 

-In a five class system there would be 44 teams per class, 5.5 teams per district. This would require every team to win at least 1 district game in order to make the playoffs.

 

-In a four class system there would be 55 teams per class, 6.875 teams per district. This would require every team to win at least 2-3 district games in order to make the playoffs. Geography would be beneficial because more neighboring schools would be in the same districts. Negatively, there would be a larger disparity in school size between the biggest and smallest schools in each class.

 

-In a three class system there would be 73.3 teams per class, 9.16 teams per district. This would likely mean that more teams in a district would miss the playoffs than would make the playoffs. The negative here is that schools would have at least 8 required games in the district. There would be little room for any non-district scheduling.

 

-I'll not break down a one class or two class system because it would almost certainly require a movement from 8 districts in order to accommodate scheduling. If that breakdown were to occur, you would likely see more districts, which would then put more teams into the playoffs, making it very similar to three class or four class. There would just be fewer champions.

 

-In my opinion, it's not necessarily a class issue that should be discussed, but rather a number of playoff participants that should be discussed. If you add more classes, then you should perhaps drop from four qualifiers per district to three or two. But if you lower the number of classes, the number of qualifiers should remain at four. It ultimately would come down how many trophies do you think the KHSAA should give out the first weekend in December.

4 classes, but I'd settle for 5. 6 is way too many, and though I kind of like 3 it's probably too few.

I like 5 classes with the top class being a smaller "super" class with perhaps only 16 teams. I would want as many teams as possible to participate in the playoffs, eliminating only the bottom team in each district, with each district in the 4 lower classes ideally having 5 teams per district.

If it were up to me, there would be 3 classes. My reasoning is that there would be a small, medium and large school division. Competition would be a lot tougher than it is now. I know that the boarder schools would moan and graon about what class they would be placed in, but hey that's life. I'm just not a fan of the 6 class system at all right now. There just aren't enough schools. Winning a state championship should mean that you're the best, not that your competition is so watered down that your best by default. I would settle for the old 4 class system though. IMO it wasn't broke and shouldn't have been tampered with.

  • Author
I like 5 classes with the top class being a smaller "super" class with perhaps only 16 teams. I would want as many teams as possible to participate in the playoffs, eliminating only the bottom team in each district, with each district in the 4 lower classes ideally having 5 teams per district.

 

The notion of a "super class" has been brought up from time to time; I think it's an interesting concept.

 

How would schools qualify? Strictly by size? Invitation? Request by school and acceptance by the KHSAA (if so, would this be reviewed every two years)?

I like 5 classes with the top class being a smaller "super" class with perhaps only 16 teams. I would want as many teams as possible to participate in the playoffs, eliminating only the bottom team in each district, with each district in the 4 lower classes ideally having 5 teams per district.

 

I know that Ohio's system is broke and complicated, but I really like the idea that making the playoffs means something across the river. I just don't like seeing playoff games where teams win by 50 plus points. It's pointless to me. I'm also not a fan of teams having four or five games on their schedules that mean absolutely nothing.

Ohio has over 1,000 High schools participating in football, same goes for Texas both states have a six class system. Florida has around 750 and have a five class system. We all know these are the best football states in the country, Just some numbers to think about when you try and decide how many classes we should have.

I know that Ohio's system is broke and complicated, but I really like the idea that making the playoffs means something across the river. I just don't like seeing playoff games where teams win by 50 plus points. It's pointless to me. I'm also not a fan of teams having four or five games on their schedules that mean absolutely nothing.

 

Absolutely, playoff football over there is intense, each weekend is a gauntlet. I think 5 is about right for KY, that helps the little schools I suppose.

Ohio has over 1,000 High schools participating in football, same goes for Texas both states have a six class system. Florida has around 750 and have a five class system. We all know these are the best football states in the country, Just some numbers to think about when you try and decide how many classes we should have.

 

Welcome to the board... I have another one in my gang now! Go Bucks!

Welcome to the board... I have another one in my gang now! Go Bucks!

 

Thanks, Got to love the Bucks!

If there are 220 teams then there should be 110 classes so every team can play in the state championship.

 

Class 1 Trinity vs. St X

Class 2 Highlands vs. Male

Class 110 Jenkins vs. Paris

 

The better you are the higher class you get to play.

 

Just for fun so don't bash the idea.

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

If there are 220 teams tehn there should be 110 classes so every team can play in the state championship.

 

Class 1 trinity vs. st x

Class 2 Highlands vs. Male

Class 110 jenkins vs. paris

 

The better you are the higher class you get to play.

 

Just for fun so dont bash the idea.

 

We can further this, why not make 220 classes so everyone gets a ring!

I voted for 5. My reason for that would be to end the Private/Public debate. All public schools would play in classes 1-4 A and 5-A would be all private schools. IMO that would be in my mind (and to steal an idea from Miley Cyrus) "the best of both worlds!"

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.